General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit stutter/hiccup problem

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Thumbs down Fit stutter/hiccup problem

My 08 Fit Sport auto started to stutter/hiccup when the engine was warmed up and the throttle was held steady at one speed, any speed as long as it was a consistent speed. I took it in to WILLIAMSON HONDA in Lincoln NE and they said a connector was loose because I disconnected it several month ago, the EGR or something.Well that is not true. I did disconnect it when I put a Spoon sock over it but I am sure I connected it again. Why would it take 3-4 month and 2 thousand miles to act up if I did indeed not get the connectors pushed togher all the way? (By the way the Spoon sock is a no no as it causes overheating and it must come off now. Oh, wait they didn't take it off) I smelled Rat and told them so. $170.00 to push two ends of a connector together. The chicken sh*&s decided they did not like me telling them I was getting advice from my lawer so they decided not to charge me but to tell me in a loud voice out in the open near the waiting room full of people (with about 6 service workers standing there ,) that I was not to come back to their dealership. WILLIAMSON HONDA in Lincoln NE is a bunch of good old boys that do what they want because they are the only Honda dealer in town!! I say all Fit owners should write them a letter. Not that they would care.

Last edited by Jaime; 03-11-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
WILLIAMSON HONDA in Lincoln NE has a lousy service department and some very rude workers.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:09 AM
that's all dealerships unfortunately. It's rare to find a helpful, honest dealer.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
that dealership is a bunch of bastards who need to get punched in the dick.

in reality, i have no idea about this dealership or the bastards working there, or if they need to get punched in the dick, or did i read the original post, but i have seen that the original poster has made at least one negative thread on this forum

Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I started having a hicup problem as well, I will be driving along at a stead speed and *hic.

Not sure what is up, maybe time for new sparks?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I started having a hicup problem as well, I will be driving along and *hic*

Not sure what is up
oh noooo not you too. how many miles do you have on the car if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
just about 30,000kms.... so 18,000 miles

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oic thanks. good luck, i hope you get it worked out.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
oic thanks. good luck, i hope you get it worked out.
I think it is more than a misfire, it almost feels like the fuel delivery gets interupted as if it is about to run out of gas. I usually keep my tank about 1/2 full or more so it has me concerned.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaime
WILLIAMSON HONDA in Lincoln NE has a lousy service department and some very rude workers.
I'm from Omaha, and this past summer while i was staying with my dad in Lincoln, I went to Williamson Honda for an oil change. I had made an appointment about 3 days before.

When I got there, the service guys told me that I would void my warranty by getting an oil change there instead of my "home" dealer (Honda Cars of Bellevue).

I knew this was not true, but I did not want someone that misinformed working on my car. So, I went to a Shell Quiklube and got my oil changed there.

Williamson Honda is a JOKE!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Williamson honda sucks

I bet there are other similar stories /experinces out there. Let's hear more about this crappy Honda dealer. For the WILLIAMSON HONDA service department manager, Jeff Williams, it is all about power. His day is coming.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I started having a hicup problem as well, I will be driving along at a stead speed and *hic.

Not sure what is up, maybe time for new sparks?
Current thinking is it's the coil packs. There's one over each spark plug. One or more is going bad. A new one is around $60 and reported to be an easy DIY. Here's another thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...d-stutter.html

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Could be, we had to pull them when we installed the WR header

Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Hey Nick,
I will explain the reason for my question when you answer it- it has a bearing on yhour problem. Check your oil level- tell me what you see on the dip stick?
I am getting pretty close to a change actually

The oil level is between the low & high mark, I would say a little bit less than the halfway between the two marks, maybe around 30%.

Color is not too bad, but not purple anymore

Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Interesting that would cause the problem,

It is weird, the problem has subsided recently for whatever reason. I have been commuting for a couple of weeks now and the car seems to be responding to that. Before I only really drove on weekends.

I was thinking maybe my battery is getting close to the end?

I will add some oil tonight though, maybe bring it up closer to the high mark.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
...the "stutter" has gone for now...

Originally Posted by manxman
BTW, after the oil level was brought up to full, the OBD code also went away- so the sensor that the dealer was so eager to replace was not actually bad.
Hey Dave, let me add that by bringing the Amsoil level back up to a "VTEC safe" zone, the problem of "triggering" the CEL was eliminated. Adding the 2.5 quarts of oil did not however completely eliminate the intermittent "stutter" that continued to puzzle me. (FYI, I originally intented to run the oil level low to see if I could better the mpg. My intention was to run the oil at the "minimum" oil level line. I hadn't monitored the oil level for several months since. I was surprised that the oil level dropped so much).
Last night, I carefully removed and regapped the spark plugs to just a hair over .040", and that nagging "stutter" has since disappeared. No more "hiccups" at the stop light, and no more "stuttering" under load. My Fit revs freely to redline without hesitation once again, and I presently have my peppy performance back!
I don't know how long this will last before the symptoms return. If the problem does return, I will be sure to report back. Maybe it is time for new plugs, IDK? I do drive them kind of hard. I usually shift between 4-6K rpm, and AutoX abuse prolly doesn't help.
My buddies at the Honda service department insisted that the plugs should last over 100k, and discouraged me from buying new plugs (@$18.08 each). They suggested to try the cheap fix first. Since I only have 70,500 miles on my plugs, their suggestion made a lot of sense...and luckily it worked.
In the future, I will pay more attention to the Amsoil level, and expect to regap my plugs every 50k or so.
-macbuddy-
PS-. Luckily nothing went awry running the oil below "minimum." BTW,the "low oil pressure" light never lit once. I'm thinking, maybe the Amsoil saved me on this one.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That might be something I should be checking out too, thanks!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
...regap update...

Okay guys, I took the Fit out for a 60 mile drive today. Although the car is running a whole lot better, I am still experiencing random "misfires." I feel that the re-gapping helped, but my Fit still isn't running at it's best. I am getting intermittent misfire at idle, and/or sometimes during part throttle, and/or sometimes when under load. The problem isn't consistent. Sometimes the car runs great. At other times I am reminded by "stuttering," and even an occasional "backfire."

Next, I am going to try another set of plugs. If that doesn't work, I'm going to break down and order up another VTEC solenoid. I am beginning to think that the service Tech at Honda was correct in his diagnosis. The VTEC solenoid probably is in fact starting to die out on me. I am not quite sure how the solenoid works, but if the VTEC solenoid really is the problem, it still doesn't make sense to me why it misfires at idle.

Hopefully someone will find the answer to this problem. For the record, I am not having much fun driving around like this!
-macbuddy-

Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Have you tested your battery recently?

I am starting to think that might be the cause of mine, when I drive frequently I have no problems; however if I leave the car for a few days & then drive I get stuttering

Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
...re-gapped down to .035"...

Okay Guys,
Two days ago I re-gapped my plugs from .050" down to .040" and the misfiring was reduce substantially. Although it was in the right direction, I still had random misfires throughout the speed range. Because of this dramatic change for the better, I felt that my problem was more spark plug related, and less so related to the VTEC solenoid and/or the coil packs. So, today I tried closing the gap even more. I went from .040" down to .035", and yeah, I know that Honda specifies the range to be within .042-.051"... but hey, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try!
Guess what? It worked! Misfire above idle has disappeared so far (I do detect minor misfiring at idle, but only with the A/C on). Anyway, the positive for now is that I can drive my Fit like I used to.
So, if you don't see buying a new set of plugs anytime soon, you might want to try this "fix" and see if it works for you as well.
Although closing the gap helps my engine run better, I may be giving up efficiency due to the smaller spark kernel. To visualize this theory, take a look at this link: Spark Plugs | Automotive Spark Plug | Motorcycle Spark Plugs | Small Engine Sparkplugs | Automobile Spark Plug for Cars or Trucks
I am guessing that my original plugs are just plain worn out. Lucky for me, I will be replacing them soon when I get a fresh set of OEM plugs, compliments of manxman. As soon as UPS ships them, I'll install them and let you know the results. Hopefully, I'll be able to gap the new set at .042" and enjoy full benefit of the larger spark kernel... at least for the next 70,000 miles or so.
-macbuddy-

Have you tested your battery recently?

I am starting to think that might be the cause of mine, when I drive frequently I have no problems; however if I leave the car for a few days & then drive I get stuttering
No, I have not tested my battery. It is only 4 months old. Honda replaced the original with a new one. My old one failed before the 36 month warranty expired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit stutter/hiccup problem