2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing

Had my 09 Fit for 5 or so months now. A/C stopped working, took it in to dealer and they claimed condenser is damaged and want $850 to replace it.

Anyone else run into this problem on their new Fit and how much did it cost you to repair? After my 01 MDX tranny took a dump, this leaves me not really wanting to buy a Honda again.

Doing my research I ran across this law firm taking info regarding Honda condenser damage. Honda Lawsuit

Just had to vent.
Ed

Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I would think that would be covered under the 3 year/36.000 mile bumper to bumper.

Check out the provisions of the warranty here: http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Documen...s/AWL38606.pdf

Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
i think they only cover it when it breaks due to factory defect... since theyre claiming it was damaged it isnt covered under warranty... because it wasnt a defect

Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by dela
i think they only cover it when it breaks due to factory defect... since theyre claiming it was damaged it isnt covered under warranty... because it wasnt a defect
So, uh, how did you damage the condenser? (to the OP)

How can they prove it was your fault and not a defect?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
seriously... how did you damage the condensor? that sounds ludicrous for them to even claim you personally damaged it. Unless there is something we don't know here.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
They claim a rock hit it. My research online seems to indicate Honda condensers are apparently more fragile and prone to damage than other makes. The service manager first told me it was on the driver side, then later the tech told me it was on the passenger side. They were condescending the whole first half of my visit there and only wanting me to pay the $850. I then told them I was calling Honda corporate to open up a case and then their whole tone changed. Hell if I go back to that dealer again.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone know if 07-08 Fit condensers are compatible with 09 Fits? They have different part numbers but i'm running across some sites that sell condensers that are listed as being compatible with 07-09 Fits.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
DO NOT BUY A CONDENSOR!
This in no way should be your fault at all. Unless you have significant damage to the undercarrige of your Fit, then it could be deemed your fault. A rock hitting it is not your fault in anyway. That is more of a design issue of Honda's if anything. This should be replaced under warranty. Do not back down. This is outragous. Get a second opinion from another dealer. If the other dealer is able to do it without problems, be certain to file a complaint on the other dealership.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ if that fails and if you have comprehensive, use your insurance for the repair.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
There are some threads out there about this issue. Basically, the condensor is damaged by rocks because is is very exposed to them. Look through the lower "grille" of your car. You can stick your whole hand through there and touch the condensor. If your hand can get through, a high speed rock on the highway can to.

Personally, I consider this a huge engineering defect by not putting a tighter grille there in the first place. This isn't anything new. I look around at other cars in the parking lot and see them with stock grilles that only the smallest of rocks can get through. The worst part is that I think Honda knows this and intentially leaves it as is. I say this because I recently put in a mesh grille to keep this very thing from happening. While installing it, I found tabs on the back of the stock grille that looked like something should snap onto them, like another grille.

Anyway, the prevention for this is to install a mesh grille or a bullet grill. Search these forums, you will find the information on it. It took me about an hour to do it and only $25. Well worth the potential $850 savings and it looks good too.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Because of this issue I put mesh behind the lower opening back when the cars were new. Both Fits are doing OK, with my Sport suffering a broken fog light lens on the drivers side because of a rock. Had my mesh not been there, and had it been a couple inches to the right, bye bye condenser.

Search the forum indeed, and you'll find posts on what people put back in the opening to prevent damage. And get Honda to pay for it. What engineer in his right mind thought that leaving that big expensive part open and vulnerable was a good idea? Hirohito would be upset.

Eric

Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow... didn't know about that problem until this thread. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
I still need to get around to putting my film over my foglight lenses too so they don't crack.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
The $700-$850 price for a new condenser is killing me.

A brand spanking new OE condenser should only cost $250-$300 (max).

I never needed to change a condenser before but I have changed out radiators a number of times and it's super easy and it always took me 30 minutes or less (including the new coolant).

If it takes me 30 minutes to do the change, where does Honda get off charging 4-6 hours for labor (hence the $700-$850 price)?

Also, can't one just change the condenser themselves and have a local mechanic charge the system (should be cheap) and call it a day?

Goodness, I was hoping to avoid doing it since it looks cheap as heck, but I too may have to add that mesh grill around the opening of my 09 Base.

If only someone made a nice black aftermarket grille.

Last edited by Shora; 03-31-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
I keep seeing this issue pop up... it ought to be a RECALL issue because they have an obvious problem with the design and it should be corrected.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, this is one of those things that i've never even gave a second thought to until now. I've driven around a total of 600,000 miles over the 6 cars i've owned prior and this was never anything that even blipped on my things to worry about list.

Now that i'm doing research there is a ton of discussion all over the Honda forums... seems the problem afflicts all Honda and Acura products to a greater degree than most other brands.

Honda America denied my case today for any kind of goodwill assistance. They basically told me they called the dealer to have them offer me a discount but as I mentioned before i'm not planning on ever going back to that dealer so it looks like i'm going to replace the condenser myself and take it to a mechanic to recharge the system.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
That's just wrong.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by TKZ12NO1
Because of this issue I put mesh behind the lower opening back when the cars were new. Both Fits are doing OK, with my Sport suffering a broken fog light lens on the drivers side because of a rock. Had my mesh not been there, and had it been a couple inches to the right, bye bye condenser.

Search the forum indeed, and you'll find posts on what people put back in the opening to prevent damage. And get Honda to pay for it. What engineer in his right mind thought that leaving that big expensive part open and vulnerable was a good idea? Hirohito would be upset.

Eric
pics please.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
If I hit a deer, my comprehensive would cover it. What about hitting a rock? Anybody check?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Exclamation I agree -- comprehensive insurance should cover it!

Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
If I hit a deer, my comprehensive would cover it. What about hitting a rock? Anybody check?
One of my Civics lost its condenser to rock damage. I got my extended warranty to replace it. I never thought about it being an insurance issue.

My GD3 Fit had 55,000 miles and no condenser/radiator damage, but I think I was lucky.

This time on my GE8, I installed a billet grille that I bought on eBay:

At first I didn't like the look, but now I'm used to it and I think it looks nice on my white Fit. I think it's very distinctive.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
That actually looks pretty nice. More pics?

Quick Reply: Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing