2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to adjust the temp. control

Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM
How to adjust the temp. control

We have 2 '09 fits. Both Sports. When using the fan on one of the fits, the air is warm coming out of the vent - if you put it on recirc, the air is cooler. The other fit is fine.

This leads me to believe that the temp. control (which is just a vent) is not closing all the way on cold and is letting in hot air.

Is there a way to adjust this?

handymus

Old 08-22-2009, 05:55 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
take it to the dealer it under warranty.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by niko3257
take it to the dealer it under warranty.

I know, I know...that's too easy. I was wondering if anyone figured out how to adjust it.

handymus

Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by handymus
We have 2 '09 fits. Both Sports. When using the fan on one of the fits, the air is warm coming out of the vent - if you put it on recirc, the air is cooler. The other fit is fine.

This leads me to believe that the temp. control (which is just a vent) is not closing all the way on cold and is letting in hot air.

Is there a way to adjust this?

handymus
Stupid question here...do you have the a/c on or off?

Are all parking conditions the same?

Yes, there may be a difference, because of the car COLOR. Is the Blue one the one with the warm air?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
You might wanna get a flashlight, remove your under dash covers and take a peek up under there at the wires. If they're messed up you may be able to tell.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
+1

I did the same thing, only I figured it out half way home from the dealer.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Are all parking conditions the same?

Yes, there may be a difference, because of the car COLOR. Is the Blue one the one with the warm air?

No stupid question... A/C off. Only vent air. Once the Fit is driven for a while and the fan is on - the air gets warm. Enough to notice a difference in temp. when you change to recirc. That shouldn't be the case. Changing the temp. control slightly warmer sends a blast of hot air. (it is all the way cold)

I can always take it in to the dealer, but was wondering if there was an "easy" way to access the controls.

The orange one has the warmer air - only noticeable once the car is driven for a while.

Last edited by handymus; 08-24-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added text
Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
No stupid question... A/C off. Only vent air. Once the Fit is driven for a while and the fan is on - the air gets warm. Enough to notice a difference in temp. when you change to recirc. That shouldn't be the case. Changing the temp. control slightly warmer sends a blast of hot air. (it is all the way cold)

I can always take it in to the dealer, but was wondering if there was an "easy" way to access the controls.

The orange one has the warmer air - only noticeable once the car is driven for a while.
There is no temperature control if you have the a/c off. It's outside air (all the way on cold) and is gradually heated (moving the control from the coldest point towards the red section). It's like the heat is on all the time, if that makes sense.

Page 111 of the manual:
"Temperature Control Dial:
Turning this dial clockwise increases the temperature of the airflow"

If the heat is always on, and you're recirculating the same air through the system again, it should be warmer, unless you're running the a/c. Because the engine is warm. Right?

There are few reasons you should have the recirc mode on. It's primarily for dusty or smoky conditions, and humid conditions or removing window fog.

How MUCH warmer is the question? Do you have one of those Cook's thermometers?

Be sure to check side vent to side vent...better still, check the temps only of the center vent, with the sides closed and the selector on face and fresh.

Center vent is always warmer or cooler.

And wouldn't the absolute temperature coming out of the vents be in direct relation to the outdoor temperature and engine temperature?

I need an Idiot's Guide to Auto HVAC. I don't know how any of it works. But having the actual temperature readouts would be very good if you're taking it in to service.

Luckily, you have two cars of the same type. Perhaps playing follow the leader on a Fuel Consumption Test of your own, setting both vehicles on the same setting, and checking the temperature every 10 miles or so.

It would be especially handy to have a passenger to read out that temperature so as not to distract the driver. Be sure that the thermometers are the same type and test them out at home to be sure they read the same.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes. Everything you just said is correct. I just think that the vent flap that keeps the warm air out is not sealing correctly. (Temp. Guage)

I guess it has to go to the dealer for them to look at.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. Everything you just said is correct. I just think that the vent flap that keeps the warm air out is not sealing correctly. (Temp. Guage)

I guess it has to go to the dealer for them to look at.
Uh. What vent flap?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Uh. What vent flap?
The Temp. guage is not really a guage. It just controls the amount of warm air coming through the vent, by use of a flap. When you use the recirc, it closes another vent flap, so that's why, in my case, the air coming out of the vent drops in temp.

So what this means, is that when you run the air conditioner, it runs on full cold. The only thing you control is: fan speed, and the amount of warm air mixed in with the cold air from the A/C. You have no control on the temp. of air coming straight out of the A/C. (of course A/C is not my issue, just using an example)

I just want to know if someone figured out an easy way to adjust the cable that goes to the vent...I think it needs to be tighter to make a better seal. I think it will have to go into the dealer for service.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the flap that controls the amount of warm air after the recirc flap? (Otherwise you wouldn't get warm air on recirc, but I think you do...) Which then would seem to suggest that there's nothing wrong with the air mixing control? (Since if there was, you'd get warm air on recirc as well...)

But then I don't know where your problem is... either way you'll have to take it in .

Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by clicq
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the flap that controls the amount of warm air after the recirc flap? (Otherwise you wouldn't get warm air on recirc, but I think you do...) Which then would seem to suggest that there's nothing wrong with the air mixing control? (Since if there was, you'd get warm air on recirc as well...)

But then I don't know where your problem is... either way you'll have to take it in .

That totally makes sense, so I have no idea what is up with the vents...

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
There was thread about the same exact issue months ago, I forgot the outcome but I think it had something to do with where the vent's pass thru before they get to the cabin. but you have 2 diff GE8's and the other one is not as warm... hmmm

Definitely do a search for that thread, it has plenty of details from what I recall...