2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Low tire pressure indicator

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Low tire pressure indicator

Last night the low tire pressure indicator came on so I checked and inflated all my tires to 33psi (according to the manual) but the light refuses to go out. Is there a secret or something I'm over-looking?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Check the manual, but if I recall correctly, I think it says that it may not go out immediately after airing up the tires.

Mine came on with one tire at 32 psi, I filled them all to 35 psi when they were cold, and it was off the next time I drove it.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz
Check the manual, but if I recall correctly, I think it says that it may not go out immediately after airing up the tires.

Mine came on with one tire at 32 psi, I filled them all to 35 psi when they were cold, and it was off the next time I drove it.
Thanks. I'll double check the manual or inflate all tires a bit more. The only thing the I saw in the manual about the light not going out, was to take it to the dealership.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
My light had gone on (turned out the dealership must have not filled up the tires properly)... and I filled them.

The light won't go back off until you drive on them a bit. I'm not sure what the secret handshake was, but it didn't go off until I had driven a bit further down the road...

Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Was it the tire with the ! symbol or TPMS light that came on? If the actual light that says TPMS came on then take it to the dealer because there is a fualt in the system. If its just the tire and ! symbol, you should be fine just check the tire pressures again.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
You need to drive a certain speed/time before the light will go out. On my nissan the light wont go out until 50mph.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
^+1 took a while for mine to go out as well. I had to drive for like 20 minutes above 35mph before mine went out.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
^+1 took a while for mine to go out as well. I had to drive for like 20 minutes above 35mph before mine went out.
Mine went out pretty much as soon as I pulled out of my driveway, but it had sat overnight since I filled them.

Pretty annoying feature...suspecting that my tire gauge was inaccurate I borrowed one from a neighbor! I spent like an hour on a 5-minute task because the light SHOULD go out soon after you fix the pressure!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
yea my TSX tpms is more accurate. It tells you which tire is low and then the light goes out as soon as you fill the tire. No driving necessary. The Fits tpms is a little annoying. I do like the idea of tpms though. Its a really smart safety feature.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I don't have this "feature".

Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I do like the idea of tpms though. Its a really smart safety feature.
I like the idea in principle but in practice the tires/wheels are one of the most mechanically simple parts of a car and it seems unfortunate to complicate them with an electronic monitoring system.

Especially if that monitoring system is so poorly implemented that it makes you question whether it's working properly!

But even so....checking tire pressure is a fast and easy task. TPMS was a solution looking for a problem. It was great for "run-flat" tires, but it's a sledgehammer solution for normal tires

Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
I like the idea in principle but in practice the tires/wheels are one of the most mechanically simple parts of a car and it seems unfortunate to complicate them with an electronic monitoring system.

Especially if that monitoring system is so poorly implemented that it makes you question whether it's working properly!

But even so....checking tire pressure is a fast and easy task. TPMS was a solution looking for a problem. It was great for "run-flat" tires, but it's a sledgehammer solution for normal tires
You gotta remember over 50% of people on the road don't know crap about cars let alone don't check their tire pressures on a regular basis (I know alot of them) This is why I like tpms. Keeps them idiots from driving on flat tires causing accidents and killing innocent people due to their negligence. Trust me I see people drive on under inflated tires all the time. Not a reassuring sight. At least the tpms makes them more aware even if it is an annoying feature for us that do check their tires on a regular basis.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 09-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
You gotta remember over 50% of people on the road don't know crap about cars let alone don't check their tire pressures on a regular basis (I know alot of them) This is why I like tpms. Keeps them idiots from driving on flat tires causing accidents and killing innocent people due to their negligence. Trust me I see people drive on under inflated tires all the time. Not a reassuring sight. At least the tpms makes them more aware even if it is an annoying feature for us that do check their tires on a regular basis.
A lot of those same people will continue to drive with low tire pressure even with TPMS. They just ignore the warning light.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
generally the TPMS system will reset above 20mph for 1 mile, or 20 miles at low speed.

goes for any honda with the basic TPMS system. Odyssey with PAX has a different system and has different reset conditions.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
A lot of those same people will continue to drive with low tire pressure even with TPMS. They just ignore the warning light.
I was trying to give them benefit of the doubt... but your probably right.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff

The light won't go back off until you drive on them a bit.
You were right. The light wouldn't go out with tires at 33psi even with driving for a bit so I filled them to 35psi and the light went out after driving a few hundred feet.

Thanks guys

Old 09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
IIRC TPMS check pressure every 30 seconds when the car is on. Has anyone else heard this? When I got back to school the temperature drop caused mine to turn on, a couple minutes at the Sheetz air compressor and I was good to go :thumbsup:

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Virtual
I'm glad I don't have this "feature".
Last night I read this and totally agreed. Today however, my light came on and sure enough one of my back tires was down to 20psi. It had a carpet tack stuck in it. The TPMS light allowed me to detect it before it went flat. Might not have noticed without it as a back tire being low isn't that noticeable.

I thought the TPMS was kind of a pain but now I think it's prety cool.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by chuckwizowski
IIRC TPMS check pressure every 30 seconds when the car is on. Has anyone else heard this?
Mine was on for a lot more than 30 seconds. Like I said, I wasted an hour trying to figure out what was wrong, trying a different pressure gauge, starting the engine, stopping the engine, waiting 5 min, starting the engine, etc. It still came on when I started the car the next morning. It did not go out until after I started to drive.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Mine was on for a lot more than 30 seconds. Like I said, I wasted an hour trying to figure out what was wrong, trying a different pressure gauge, starting the engine, stopping the engine, waiting 5 min, starting the engine, etc. It still came on when I started the car the next morning. It did not go out until after I started to drive.
That was exactly my experience. It would be nice if they mentioned this in the owner's manual instead of saying to take it to the dealership..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low tire pressure indicator