Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Glare on the inside of the windshield

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Glare on the inside of the windshield

Is anyone having an issue with the dashboard reflecting onto the inside of the windshield? It makes it difficult to see on bright days. Don't say, "only drive at night".

Anyone have a solution?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
is your car used? someone used some crap like armorall or something on the dash? if so, get some towels with a mild solution of soapy water and just wipe it all off.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
btw, for the dash, i use a matte drying product called Prima Nero.

i even dillute it 50% with water.

you can get it on amazon or www.detailersparadise.com
to apply you can use a terry towel or i like to use the MF utility towels. just come cheezo short-threaded one will work nicely.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 AM
dash cover for glare

I had this problem. I bought a dash cover from j.c. whitney and it's a huge improvement. I got the "COVERKING CARPET DASH COVER"- it's $30 plus shipping.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by bigfitjon
I had this problem. I bought a dash cover from j.c. whitney and it's a huge improvement. I got the "COVERKING CARPET DASH COVER"- it's $30 plus shipping.
I put a dash mat in to stop the glare, it works well

Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Could any of you post pictures of what they did? Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm I use Armor All on my dashboard and haven't run into any glare issues. While we're on the topic of Armor All I don't have any problems with using it either.

A matte-finish dashboard cleaner will help you if a shiny dash is the problem. I've never been a fan of dash "carpets" as they tend to be dingy and very hard to remove.

Be grateful the Fit has no chrome on its dash. Any chrome on the dash screams "very bad idea" especially in daylight...

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 AM
sorry for being such a noob but is it this one?

Armor All - Product Detail

Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking you should try only driving at night. It works GREAT!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by acchan
sorry for being such a noob but is it this one?

Armor All - Product Detail
Sorry for being non-specific. I use their Original protectant.

First time I've seen that bottle in the link

Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Main problem I have found with my 09 GE8 Fit is that the dash has several seams and creases.... so all those lines tend to show up reflected on the windshield, especially during bright days. That was a stupid move on Honda's part. A plain continuous dash makes a world of a difference, as evidenced by my other 2 Hondas...

Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks! I'll go buy the armor all this weekend!

Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
ive yet to have glare issues on my GE. did honda change material or supplier on some of yours?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
me too

My brand new '13 Fit does the same. It is especially bad when driving from bright light into a shadowed area. The bad thing is, I really hate dash carpets. I'm thinking I may need to make my own out of black velvet or something else non-reflective.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
that's odd. did the dealer put armorall or some crap like that on the dash?

shouldn't glare at all. i drive towards the sun every morning, no issue.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
dash glare? to the max!

Wow, what a drag! Bought a 2013 purple fit sport in November, an overcast day no less. What a mistake. it became apparent as spring turned to summer that the glare is terrible. Made me wonder if the windshield was flawed somehow. But, the service manager and I looked at other Fits, and there was the same problem. I consider this to be a definite hazard. Ended up buying a complete dash cover--after using a towel--and that took care of the issue.
Also, cannot see the speedometer dial--which is red--against the black speedometer surface when driving into the sun. Another flaw.
I would not buy the car if I was aware of these issues. The glare is a bitch.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:26 PM
What color are your dashboards that have high glare? Mine is dark gray and doesnt have the problem. Also the color of the car may reflct more light into the windshield and make it worse. My Fit is Crystal Black Pearl which may reflect less light inside.

Just some thoughts but colors would seem to have an effect.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FitSport
What color are your dashboards that have high glare? Mine is dark gray and doesnt have the problem. Also the color of the car may reflct more light into the windshield and make it worse. My Fit is Crystal Black Pearl which may reflect less light inside.

Just some thoughts but colors would seem to have an effect.
Thanks. Purple car, black dash. Terrible reflection.
Dash cover helped.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Interesting...buy a pair of quality polarized sunglasses. It will make more of a difference than anything else discussed.

I'm an optometrist. Depending on the angle of the sun, you may get your dash reflecting in your windshield.

Polarized sunglasses will almost completely eliminate the reflection. Polarized lenses eliminate reflections that occur off flat, horizontal surfaces. They were originally called Fisherman's Sunglasses because they eliminated the suns reflection off the surface of the water and allowed you to see down into the water.

From a tint color standpoint, Serengetti Driver's and Carrera Exede are the best for driving, but the important thing is just that they are polarized, and a quality name brand. And yes, you can get prescription lenses, and no, glass isn't better than plastic. And they are not recommended when driving on icy roads...you want to see the reflection of the ice.

Polarized lenses will also reduce glare and reflections from the road, sometimes it's really amazing what they can do.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
the dash isnt reflective on my car. even driving at the sun, it doesn't bother me.
the dealer or prevoius owner or whoever propbably put some kind of plastic dressing on it.

remove it completely and apply a light coat of Prima Nero (50/50 dilluted with water) as my earlier post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glare on the inside of the windshield