1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Playing MP3 on the CD Player

Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Playing MP3 on the CD Player

I have a 2008 European Jazz old model. Can someone please advise me if there is a way to play MP3 files on the CD player? I know there is an auxiliary jack for a separate MP3 player but I am surprised that the standard CD player is not fitted with the necessary software for MP3 files. Toyota sell an extra CD for some of their players that will install the software to play MP3. Is there a work around with the Jazz?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
If you have a Windows PC, then it comes with Windows Media Player. WMP has the capabilities to burn your MP3s to CD...play those...

Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if it can't play mp3's i dont think there is a way to 'upgrade' it unless you went with an aftermarket HU.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
here in canada, it have only the Fit Sport who play the mp3 cd.
The Seller told me the base one was the same thing.. NOT!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
I have tried burning MP3 files to a CD but unfortunately the Jazz CD player can't play them because it does not have the necessaary software which is very disappointing for a 2008 car. The CD player starts to play the tracks and you can see the seconds counting but there is no sound. This is clearly a software problem.

I was just wondering if Honda made some additional software or hardware as an accessory to make it work.

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
do you have the sport model?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have the 1.4 L Automatic with alloy decorative rims. No spoiler at the back so I suppose its not the sports model? The CD player is built into the console so I cant upgrade it. If it was possible to update the firmware in some way then I am sure it could play mp3. I know on some models of Toyota you can buy a CD that will install mp3 capability.

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
This is your problem, the base fit radio dont take mp3 cd.
Its possible to change the radio for the sport one ($$$) or to go with an aftermarket cd player, it take a frame for it and anyways, you'll have a better sound

Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on how you want to play your music there are 3 ways to do it.

Burn your fav songs to reg. CD. Prob. 20 songs.
Use a port. DVD player that plays MP3.
I just bought a COBY MP3 player and it also works.
Limited batt. time though. And no visual way to "see" the song list.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the suggestions. At the moment these seem to be the only options. Its a shame that Honda does not have a way to upgrade the firmware of the CD player to accept MP3 format.

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
if it can't play mp3's i dont think there is a way to 'upgrade' it unless you went with an aftermarket HU.
Not true. I added an mp3 player to my stock base head unit. It plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the honda HU. I got mine from some guy in China off ebay. I was able to install it without pulling the HU but it took a couple of tries.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Good to hear you succeeded. With your set up can you use the normal car changer controls to select the track you want or do you have to use the controls on your MP3 player?

I just phoned my local Honda spares dealer and asked if a modification of my CD player to play MP3 was possible. They only mentioned using an external MP3 player connected to the front auxiliary jack or rear of the CD player. Basically the CD player itself cannot be modified to recognise MP3 files burned to a CD. This is a shame as in theory it can easily be done with a firmware upgrade to recognise MP3 codices.

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rob22315
Not true. I added an mp3 player to my stock base head unit. It plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the honda HU. I got mine from some guy in China off ebay. I was able to install it without pulling the HU but it took a couple of tries.
Yup. I helped my friend install something similar into his Lexus. The company had a lot of different applications, including Hondas. The unit simply plugs into the back of the stock headunit where the CD changer plugs into. Then you can plug your USB flash drive into it and it will play MP3s off the drive.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thats interesting. Does anyone have a link for this product as I would like to check it out? Once its fitted can tracks be played using the car remote controls or do only the MP3 player controls work?

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Chris Nicola
Thats interesting. Does anyone have a link for this product as I would like to check it out? Once its fitted can tracks be played using the car remote controls or do only the MP3 player controls work?

Kind Regards
Chris

Sorry for bumping old thread but I am looking for similar solution.
Have you found out a way to work it yet?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Google for YATOUR , XCARLINK or AUDIOLINK digital CD changer. That's a small black box with USB\SD slots. You just plug it to the CD changer socket and listen mp3 from USB flash or SD card as if it's a real CD changer. Steering wheel controls work as usual.

Originally Posted by nurburgring
Sorry for bumping old thread but I am looking for similar solution.
Have you found out a way to work it yet?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
I just bought and installed a yatour with bluetooth.

total installation time was less than 5 minutes. tried with the glove box folded down and just fumbled with the plug. First a 3 minute attempt with my left hand, got annoyed and marched off, then came back and tried with my right hand and lined that little mother up and in within a couple of tries. just got lucky i guess.

works like a charm. mp3s play without problems and BT to my phone is strong and clear, although it refuses to let my cheap-chinese-ripoff-GPS connect. minor bummer.

all in all a recommend upgrade.

now if only i could get my rear speakers to sound better than a broken pair of crap walkman headphones in a rusty can.....