1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

engine sees to miss fire when fan comes on.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Question engine sees to miss fire when fan comes on.

I really do not think my 2007 fit is miss firing, but I do not know what else to call it.

You can feel the car jump a little multiple times at any speed or still. It sorta feels like a miss fire but not really. I noticed the other day that it seems to do it when a fan motor turns on. For the most part but not always, the miss stops when the fan motor stops.

Twice while driving at freeway speeds, the car felt like it could stall and the engine lite blinked on and then off again. It would stay off once it went off and the car would feel ok again other than this irratating miss.

Honda wants me to bring the car in and test it on their machine. I would like to have an idea of what the problem cound be if it gets down to that.

I have not been happy with this car from day one. Part of that was my fault in buying a car that really does not meet my needs. The other part is that I felt the salesman lied to me and the car MPG is nothing close to what it should get. I bought the car for the MPG and space for my dogs.
Thanks, I really do need some help here.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
blinking check engine light = engine misfire

Definitely bring it into the dealer asap.

Unfortunately thats all the insight I have for you. Sorry and good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Question Blinking engine light

The engine light only blinked 1 blink and then went out, and the car was fine afterwards. Now it did this twice with about a month between the two.

I know something is wrong but it comes and goes. Could it be a bad conection somewhere? Do you think the fan motor could have anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Do you feel it at any speed when the fan is on? Maybe something is just stuck in the fan and banging around when the fan is running?

If it is a misfire, I'd say let Honda look at it if it's still under warranty.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
The car is no longer under warranty. 75,000 miles on it.
Looks like I need to take it in anyway. I refuse to give honda anymore of my money.
I will look for someone else who can work on it.
Thanks.
I really want to like this car. But it has been one issue after another.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
where in LA are you? I know of a good honest mechanic in Garden Grove (Tom Vo Auto repair and electrical 714-530-6509) and one in Corona/Riverside (Bin @ Genuine Technician (951) 687-3738).

Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I live near Pico and Fairfax. I work in Burbank, and I spend some of my weekends near Joshua Tree. Thanks for the info but they are not close to me. Anyone else with a good mechanic please step forward. Thanks.

Over the last few days I have had periods where the problem stops. I did not have the mis last night going home from work or this morning going to work. Could it just be a lose connection somewhere?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
ahh, well i hop someone can get you to a reputable mechanic. good luck

Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Isn't this an old thread? Was called something like "engine stutter". My engine light never came on and my gauge never recorded any code. One time, when I changed my first battery I let the computer go through the engine idle learn procedure. The so called stutter went away for approximately 2 months. Came back with a vengeance.
The car will now miss/stutter at traffic lights at times and one time cut out all together. No light. It always will happen @ 2500 rpm with and without the AC. I was told by a mechanic that it would probably be a waste of time to put it on the diagnostic machine. An engineer I know said it was probably some kind of blank spot in the accelerator. I think it is probably something to do with the ECU. Unless someone dies Honda, like any other automobile company will do the risk acessment procedure and run the numbers. Honda will not recall the Fit just to replace the computer to make the ride better. You think?
Before trading in: disconnect the battery for 5 mins then reconnect and let the car idle for 5 to 10min then they won't feel any problem with the so called stutter.
My Accord though a different generation has none of these problems and is due for the 100k mile tune up. Parts are cheap; labour $650+!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
you need to replace your spark plugs plus coil pack or just the one that is miss firing from. i had the same issue. good luck..

Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys.
I will replace the spark plugs just to see if that is the problem or not.

However, I did change the battery a few months ago and now wish I could remember if the mis / stutter started before or after the new battery.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Ignition coil: $129.99
spark plug (ea) Bosch-Iridium-Fusion / Spark Plug $7.99
Ngk-Laser-Iridium / Spark Plug $13.49
go ahead start and replacing parts... see if it gets better.... like your favourite mechanic
lol !!
Better yet, wait until someone dies and the risk assessment guy says recall!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
I've been having this problem quite often lately. I've read through the 'stutter' thread and was/am hoping I don't need to replace any coil(s). Today, after arriving @ my destination I was sitting in the car and this 'stutter' would happen every time the fan kicked in...very strange & interesting. I thought it was at least a 'good thing' I could see exactly when this problem occurred. I too, changed to a Kinetic battery recently. To be continued...

Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
How many miles on your Fit raton? Do you hyper mile? When your over 3k RPMs is it OK or just @ ilde with the fan on? Does that mean the A/C is running too? How is the voltage, headlights bright @ idle? starting OK?
If you have a coil starting to die that would do it, but you should see a cel = misfire code. Have you washed the engine? I had a Ford P/U that lost a coilpack after powerwashing the engine.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
How many miles on your Fit raton? Do you hyper mile? When your over 3k RPMs is it OK or just @ ilde with the fan on? Does that mean the A/C is running too? How is the voltage, headlights bright @ idle? starting OK?
If you have a coil starting to die that would do it, but you should see a cel = misfire code. Have you washed the engine? I had a Ford P/U that lost a coilpack after powerwashing the engine.
I'm @ 26K miles and don't hyper mile. I don't think it stutters over 3k. If it does stutter, it normally happens @ idle or @ lower rpms...& a/c is running all the time. The headlights do dim, kenwood aftermarket deck cuts-out & re-sets everytime...this is most annoying; and the voltage drops a little. The car starts ok and I don't have any cel codes.

It's just that I've got a bunch of stuff hooked up to the car (voltage stablizer, grounding kit, throttle controller, scan gauge, aftermarket deck, jl amp, basslink sub, all the wiring for audio stuff, different battery, etc.)...dunno if any one of these could be the culprit too. And I dread taking it to the dealer & have them bring up all my mods...

No, haven't washed the engine but Yeah, I hear ya...Password makes a nice sparkplug cover but its only for k-series engines.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have all of the power leads going to a central point? (Which if it were me it would be @ the 2nd battery) The dimming headlights are a voltage prob. you can sort this out. No need to take it to the dealer, they wouldn't want to mess with it. Would it be logical to disconnect the 2nd bat and the add-ons shut down? just for testing.
I also have the ETC from Mr. Panson Pan (& love it) and have not had a real prob. with that but it could easily remove from the add-on by pulling the obd2 plugin out. And your scangauge is clear? no codes. humm. How long has this been going on?
I know the voltage stablizers are capacitors, and one of those could have taken a dirt nap on ya. Try disconneting that 1st & see what happens.
Good Luck :}

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 05-24-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have all of the power leads going to a central point? (Which if it were me it would be @ the 2nd battery) The dimming headlights are a voltage prob. you can sort this out. No need to take it to the dealer, they wouldn't want to mess with it. Would it be logical to disconnect the 2nd bat and the add-ons shut down? just for testing.
I also have the ETC from Mr. Panson Pan (& love it) and have not had a real prob. with that but it could easily remove from the add-on by pulling the obd2 plugin out. And your scangauge is clear? no codes. humm. How long has this been going on?
I know the voltage stablizers are capacitors, and one of those could have taken a dirt nap on ya. Try disconneting that 1st & see what happens.
Good Luck :}
Thanks. I previously tried disconnecting the obd2 & it still happened and I only have the 1 battery. I'm going to try taking out my VS and see what happens. I had an audio shop install my amp & I'll try running my problem by them first. Not sure if it started happening after they touched things. We'll see......

Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I have the same problem with my 08 Sport. I talked with the region rep and this is another known problem. It appears one of the coils (could be a different one each time) misfires and temporarily causes a mini misfire but not enough to throw an error code. You can replace all the coils and it still can return. If you're lucky a tech can pick up the misfire while monitoring and they replace the coils under warranty. After Honda told me they know of the problem but do not have a permanent fix and it's "periodic", they would do nothing more so I have had to learn to live with it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^That sounds pretty bad coming from a dealership.
If it misses it can be fixxed.
So what are you saying? that the signal to the coil from the ECU is intermittent? or the coilpacks just stop functioning momentarily?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
^^^^That sounds pretty bad coming from a dealership.
If it misses it can be fixxed.
So what are you saying? that the signal to the coil from the ECU is intermittent? or the coilpacks just stop functioning momentarily?
Nothing wrong with the ECU, just a random intermittent malfunction with the coilpacks which they do not have a fix for Yup, that's from the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine sees to miss fire when fan comes on.