1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water leak between door and door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Water leak between door and door panels?

Sorry to ask twice, but I didn't realize the linked thread was general, not 07-08 specific:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...oard-help.html

Originally Posted by p1driftfiend
Has anyone had this problem recently?

I went to clean my car today and found the back floorboard area soaked.

Fooled around with a hose and founf out myself it's coming between the door panel and plastic panel. When I push the plastic door panel, water seeps out. Looking at all the other 3 doors, I see signs of dried water, which means they all could leak

Then I found this thread.

There is a link here for a service bulletin, but for other countries. Anyone know if there is a US service bulletin for 07-08 Fits?

I'll be taking the car to the dealer with the above foreign bulletin printed out, hopefully they can perform the worked correctly.
Anyone have this problem solved recently?

Any US service bulletin?

Getting frustrated more and more with this car...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to be a pain, but just wondering if there is in fact a US service bulletin for this problem?

I'm trying to make the trip to the dealer as short and easy as possible.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
why not just print the linked bulletin (on the other thread) and bring that to the dealer???

Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
why not just print the linked bulletin (on the other thread) and bring that to the dealer???

I called the dealer and mentioned a service bulletin from another country and they didn't want anything to do with it if it was not from Honda US.

I'll still bring it with them to show them, but it sounded like if it wasn't an official documented problem with US Fits, then they would not use that paperwork.

I understand their logic, hopefully they can figure it out without having those pics.

It's just the pain of bringing it to the dealer so the tech and inspect it and find the problem, then they might have to order parts or have the car longer....I'm sure they'll have the car for at least 2 days

Last edited by p1driftfiend; 11-02-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 AM
2008 Fit leaking onto floorboards and back seats

My car is currently at the dealer for this reason. I noticed it 2 weeks ago and thoughr I had spilled something (although I thought it was odd how wet it was and that it was both sides)...but I dried it out, cleaned my entire car, and removed anything that had potential to have spilled in my car. Well now last Friday I was moving and I go to pull my seats up and to my surprise not only are my floorboards SOAKED but the seats are now wet as well and the mold on the floor was pretty bad. I had not noticed it was still wet because I rarely have anyone in the back and my seats are almost always down for the dog to ride back that. The car smelled a bit funky but I had put it off to the original incident.

Once I noticed the leak on Friday I knew I had an issue. I actually had a Plymouth Neon prior to this that had a bad trunk seal that leaked into the floorboards. Neon was 10 years old though..not less than a year and a half old!

So I dropped my car off yesterday morning at the Dealer where I was told they would run water testing on the car and try to have it back to me by 4:30pm. I began calling to try and get an update around 2pm...I finally got someone on the phone at about 4pm. The maintenance supervisor proceeded to tell me that they had run testing all day and they were not finding a leak so it seemed I must have spilled something or left my window open. I was than told I would have to pay $120 to pick up my still moldy basically new car! To say the least I was NOT HAPPY with this response..especially because at this point I had done my research and found the postings on this forum about many other people having the same problem.
I mentioned the issue on the forums and was basically laughed at...said you can google any issue and find people having it with any car if you try. He basically said they would continue to water test the car for a few more hours and even into the morning if I would like but he had already worked on my car for 6 hours and I should be happy I only have to pay the $119 diagnostic fee and not for 6 hours of labor. I told them YES I would like more testing to be done but I would not like to be paying for it because I know something is wrong with my car.

Unless I took a firehose and fed it through my open window to the floorboards there was no way I "just left a window open". There were gallons of water on the floorboards and the bottom of the seat but NOT on the backs of the seat and the seats were folded down. How would rain come in the window skip hitting hte backs of the seats that were folded down and make it to the floor? Basically the guy talked to me like I was some crazy woman who didnt know what I was talking about.

So I got off the phone w/ him and he "continued to run testing" but told me I would probably have to pick it up and pay...so I called the US Honda Customer Service line Customer Service - the Official Honda Web Site to file a complaint and tell them about my issue. Not only was I irritated I was going to have to pick up my car that obviously had an issue but this guy treated me like total crap (theres more to the story that would just take too long to type out). She sounded suprised that the dealer I purchased the car from was going to have me pick up the car and pay for it when it was the second time I had noticed the issue. She mentioned there is a phone line for techs to call if they are having a problem finding out what is causing a problem that a customer is having. She put together a report and email and sent it off to the general manager at my dealer.

A couple hours later I finally get a call that they have in fact discovered that water was leaking into my car. They are still trying to figure out exactly how and where but there is a leak. So hopefully this morning I will be getting a call with what exactly is going on and hopefully to tell me that its covered by warranty. They did say the water was coming in from the trunk area (same issue I had with my neon..wth!!) but were still trying to pinpoint the exact cause.

Good Luck p1drift....I feel your pain! The dealer wanted nothing to do with any of hte information I had found online and was just going to have me pick the car up. I mentioned the Bulletin for the Jazz and they scoffed at it..saying its a different car. And at least with my car it does sound like a different issue since the leak is coming in from the trunk area..and I think that recall was saying door leaks. I will come in and update once I find out the exact issue.

BTW I have not been in any accidents or done any modifications to the car.

Im curious as to what they will do to address the mold issue in the back of my car...it effects my carpet and back seats.

What a headache. I have LOVED my Fit until this point. Grr.

Last edited by AmazingGrayce; 11-03-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
AmazingGrayce:

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having. I'm sure you most likely have the same problem I do.

I discovered the problem and leak, then confirmed it here online.

Run water down the window and eventually enough will leak thru the door and you'll see it seeping out thru the inner door panel, where when the door is closed, it collects on the frame seal with nowhere else to go but inside!

If you still have the problem and know the car will be sitting outside in a down pour for a while, then try to lift the seal on the bottom of the frame (of the car, not door) and line the frame with a trash bag. Then spread the bag into the floorboard area and toss a towel onto the bag. The bag will collect the excess water and the towel will soak it up. You could also wedge a small towel into the crack between the frame and door (from the inside) to help soak up the water.

I'm pretty sure this is the only time I've had water enter the car (the weekend of Oct 23 - 25), as it was an absolute monsoon then and my car was in fact sitting still.

I'll be bringing my car into the dealer next week (I'm not too worried about rain in between then and now, as I don't think it leaks that bad...). I do want to get it fixed before winter, when rain and melting snow can collect, freeze, then melt in that area.

Good luck to you too!

I feel your pain with this car. I finally found what crackles in my dash, only to now have a creak in the back somewhere .

Oh well....

Last edited by p1driftfiend; 11-03-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Yea its really frustrating to say the least. The guys act like they are doing me a favor only charging me $120 to pick up a car thats obviously not fixed. I should not have had to put up a fight to get them to look into it further.

If I had brought in a car and the lights were not working...they would not have called me back and had me pick it up if they "could not find the problem" causing the lights to not turn on and charged me. They would have kept looking until they figured it out.

Im not an idiot. The amount of water in my car ALL OVER the back was A LOT. I did not physically ever transport anything with that amount of water in my car nor did I leave my windows open through rainstorms. There was/is an issue with the car and I expect them to figure it out. Which hopefully they have-I will find out this morning.

Now my only concern is that they told me last night it seemed to be coming in the trunk and everyone on here seems to have it coming in from the doors. So maybe my problem is not the same as everyone elses..or maybe they are the idiots and havent really found whats wrong but are just trying to appease me since I went higher up to complain.

I will be sitting by my phone all morning.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AmazingGrayce

Now my only concern is that they told me last night it seemed to be coming in the trunk and everyone on here seems to have it coming in from the doors. So maybe my problem is not the same as everyone elses..or maybe they are the idiots and havent really found whats wrong but are just trying to appease me since I went higher up to complain.

I will be sitting by my phone all morning.

there are past examples of leaks coming from the trunk...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...into-boot.html

apparently even if you can isolate the fact it's coming from the trunk, actually finding the exact spot can still be difficult.

good luck.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Family just got an '07 fit this Christmas... found out today it's leaking. CRAPTASTIC.

Going to phone up the Honda dealer and see what can be done. I've printed out the Jazz service bulletins and some of the threads here. Hope it goes well, but I'm taking no chance so I'm preparing all the materials best I could.

Funny thing is.. my story is exactly like forum member AmazingGrayce's story. Just traded in a 10yr old Neon for the '07 fit because the Neon was leaking in the trunk.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
The vapor barrier may not have a strong seal to the door panel. Common if you have taken the panels off (aftermarket speakers, etc.), or if the Butyl used was a faulty batch from the factory. Take the door panels off, and apply new Butyl strip caulking to the vapor barrier. You can buy it at automotive paint shops, it is often used to seal/seat a replacement windshield.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 AM
My car is bone stock. =(

Going to the dealership tomorrow... we'll see how it goes. They seem nice over the phone.
"yah your car shouldn't do that, you just bought it..."

but at the same time they wouldn't answer me directly when I ask if the repair will be covered by the dealership. . . . .

Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Hey AmazingGrayce,
I know it's been awhile since the leak, but was anything in the trunk soaked?? was the spare tire compartment filled up? If not it was the doors leaking and not the trunk. One bad apple can spoil the whole dealership especially if he's the service manager....

Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
I have some sympathy for the dealer here. People come in with all sorts of crazy stories; some (like yours) are perfectly valid, others are total crap, so some skepticism is warranted. That said, it's a service business, and the customer, if not always right, is always the customer.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Hey AmazingGrayce,
I know it's been awhile since the leak, but was anything in the trunk soaked?? was the spare tire compartment filled up? If not it was the doors leaking and not the trunk. One bad apple can spoil the whole dealership especially if he's the service manager....

Well its been awhile but Im still dealing with my problem on a weekly basis. I have actually just finished filing all the paperwork for Lemon Law/Magnuson & Moss Warranty Act (sp?) and filing a legal complaint. Thank goodness the attorneys have agreed I got a dud and are picking up my case. HOPEFULLY at the very least I will get some sort of monetary compensation for the decreased value in my car with this problem. Hopefully its enough to make a trade in break even. I dont want this car anymore!! I still would like a Honda Fit..just not this dud!!!

Since my post my car has been back to the dealer 2 more times (3 total) and currently still seems to be leaking. It rained slightly last weekend but due to the fact that when they returned my car to me last time (2 weeks ago) it was still wet I cant tell if the dampness is from rain or from the prior leak. Supposed to get some crazy weather tomorrow and through the weekend so hopefully I will see but I think its still leaking..so back to the shop for the 4th time.

Everytime I bring it back the leak is from a different area:
1: leak was in the trunk area coming in from trunk seals
2. leak was in a seam on the roof
3. leak was in the door

At least a few times that I checked my spare tire compartment was wet.

Driving me crazy!!! I just want them to admit the car I got obviously has a defect and give me a different one. Theyve agreed to replace the carpets but continue to tell me to drive the car a bit until we are sure the leak is fixed. Its never going to be fixed!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
I just purchased my car (2008 Tidewater Blue Sport) LESS than a month ago.

Its been raining for the past week here in So. California. At first, I simply thought I left a crack open in the window. But as the week went on, the floor of my driver seat was completely drenched. I mean... dripping puddle WET! I took the mat out and is currently drying the best that it can. It is starting to really SMELL!

I called the service department and they said to take it in on Monday. I'm hoping they say its simply the seals, but after reading this post.. I'm worried! This car is less than a month old and I better not have to pay for anything!

We'll see what they say..

Last edited by HanhALuLu; 01-25-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 AM
Thats good question?

------------------------
Car Export & Used Cars Dealer, Wholesale Auto Auctions USA & Canada

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Just a wild hare hypothesis, but for people with these leaks, check the VIN to see which plant your Fit was made in. It's probably random, but you never know....

Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
The 11th character in the VIN represents the plant:

S - is for Suzuka Factory in Japan
C - is for Sayama, Saitama Factory in Japan

My 2009 was made in Suzuka, and has survived some drenching rains without leaks, but a sample size of 2 is statistically insignificant.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Update:

So I took the car to a local Honda Dealer. I purchased this car Dec 26. They looked at the car and determined that the leak was NOT through the door or door panels. Instead, the leak is from my moon roof!

The previous owner from Nebraska purchased the car and put on an aftermarket moon roof by Webasto. It has a warranty on it, but since I did not install it myself the warranty does not APPLY to me! There is something wrong with the drainage system and instead of draining out of the car.. its draining INTO my floors!

I have called Webasto and they are willing to look at and give me a free estimate.

Whatever the outcome I do not feel that I need to pay for the repairs!

I have contacted the dealer where I bought it and am waiting for a response from their Used Car Sales Manager.

Im beginning to really regret this purchase.. I love my car.. and when I saw this one had a moon roof, I was sold. Now, its biting me in the ass!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Here's the man to help

Hi
I have been reading this forum for months, and talking with Honda North America trying to get some help with my leaking 07 Fit Sport that leaks in all the same places as you guys.

I have got nowhere with Honda and when I bring up forums and foreign service bulletins they scoff.

So, I hope to use the power of these 'forums' of which they scoff, to put some pressure on them to fix these leaks!

Are you with me?!

Honda Customer Service: 800-999-1009 x 117723 (Carlos, Case Manager).

Tell him your woes and that you know other people are having the same problem. When he denies it - which he will - remind him he is being recorded, and that people like myself, have also been recorded on the phone with him saying its isolated, as well as that we have case numbers that represent exactly the same issue. Its clearly not a one off...

Be sure to speak with Juan Carlos and get him to open a case which should start with 'N01 2010-' , and leave him a VM if necessary.

Post back on here so we can hear about your experience, and ps this number and extension saves mucho hassle with minions and gets you right to the correct guy.

Quick Reply: Water leak between door and door panels?