2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PEEL N SEAL IS THE REAL DEAL. (for sound deadening)

Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
PEEL N SEAL IS THE REAL DEAL. (for sound deadening)

So after some research about the best sound deadners for people on a budget I cam across posts in many forums about a mythical substance called PEEL N SEAL. It sells for $13 for a 25' x 6" roll. I tried Home Depot and Menards but they just looked at me stupid when I asked them about it. However, when I went to Lowes it was right there sitting in the roofing section. After spending the evening installing it on my hatch I have to say it is quite great. The improvement with my subs has been excellent and I have virtually eliminated the hatch rattle (although how in the world I am going to get the front wipers to stop vibrating is beyond me) It was very easy to install. Luckily I have a large overhead gas heater in my garage because apparently its very important to install it at a high temperature to insure it does not come off later. So, if anyone is looking for something to reduce panel vibrations this is IMO the best bang for your buck.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Thank you

I am going to head to Lowes for this product. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
I've used this before and bought it from a hardware/lumber place in my area called McCoys. Used it on my 99 Civic 4 door and it worked wonders on keeping the trunk quiet when I had a system. Good pickup, I believe McCoys had it somewhere near the windows (the windows to purchase).

Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Just to let you guys know that peal and seal is actually Ice and water self adhered underlayment people in the roofing business (like myself) use. Works really well on low sloped roofs.
As a reference for installation, everyone should know this should only be applied typically when the surface is 40 degrees or higher (knowing that most of us are having cold temperatures).

Just a fair warning. I've been around this stuff quite a bit. Being that its cold right now you might not notice it but when the weather warms up and the cars starts baking in the 80+ temperatures you might start to get a freshly paved asphalt smell or almost tar-ish smell in your car. That will be the ice and water underlayment baking. We sometimes have it in our office and its stinks up the whole d*mn place. Gives you a headache after a while. Just wanted to let you know. It will take a long long time for the smell to go away.

As a reference here is a volvo forum where people used the same stuff and were talking about the smell.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...r-peel-n-seal/

Last edited by Committobefit08; 12-21-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
^ updates on this? i do'nt want my car to smell, and we live in socal so its usually hot.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
No smells yet but it hasn't gone above 50 either. It didn't smell bad when I installed it with a heat gun in my heated garage but when we hit one of the few 90 days we get up here in illinois I'll know for sure. Fortunately I drive with the windows down on those hot days so I'm sure I'll be okay. I've read similar mixed reviews.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Similar product... no smell?

Just ran across these while checking out some audio info for my Fit: (check it out... the "VW Bug" reference means nothing in regards to what you're doing. Just so happens he's using it on a bug)

How to Install Sound-Deadening Insulation - Classic VW Beetle Bug

EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more

May want to check these out as well before doing your entire car. Maybe it will help, maybe not.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
I used this stuff on my Accord and followed it up with aluminum HVAC tape on the edges. Since it is aluminum faced, the only part that could outgas are the edges, and once you seal those with tape there is no risk of stinky stinky

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Peel-N-Seal DOES SMELL

Just a heads up, I recently put this in the spare tire area of my DX Hatch as an alternative to the insanely expensive Dynamat. I live in Florida and it has been in the 90's already this year. YES it DOES help with deadening the sound BUT YES, it also has a very apparant petroleum odor. Once this stuff is down, getting it off is tatamount to stepping on hot gum. My goal is to make my DX as quiet as a Lexus.....without smelling like a gulf oil spill. This was a test and while the back of teh car is much quieter, with the odor, I have to classify this as a clear miss. I have done more research in the past few weeks and my current game plan is to spray dry mount on visquene and cover the Peel-N-Seal area with it as a vapor barrier, followed by a fabric cover in the cargo area. For the balance of the interior, B-Quiet Ultimate looks to be the superior product to kill the road noise without the odor. None of these products are cheap but if I'm gonna completely disassemble my interior to install the product and put my new carpet in, getting it right the second time out-weighs cost vs odor. I will keep you posted....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Did you read the post above yours? Easiest solution is to encapsulate it in aluminum faced hvac tape.

Many of the expensive products smell bad too in case you didn't know.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Lol, finally Illinois weather plays in my favor. No smells yet still.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Did you read the post above yours? Easiest solution is to encapsulate it in aluminum faced hvac tape.

"Frost King" self adhesive foil and foam duct insulation that I picked up at Lowe's is what I will be covering the intake tube and lower part of the boost tube on my supercharger today..... I am sure I can find numerous other places to use what is left.....

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 05-19-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by jondotcom

I read it completely. Easiest solution is to by the correct product for the application. I made that mistake once....that's enough.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Let us know which products you do use and if it stinks. I know one of the dynamat products does but don't recall if the b-quiet products did (the b-quiet products I ordered were aluminum faced though)..it's been 8 years since I ordered it. I used peel & seal on my last new car with good results.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Some sound deadening products are petro based while others are urethane based i believe. Dynamat makes one of each. Depending on which product you need you may have to deal with some smell for a bit. There is a good video of peel and seal online where this guy did some patches of every deadener on his van and he swears by the peel and seal over the other products when considering both cost and quality.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Is the brown bag deadening material out of the question?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Brownbag is available from B-Quiet and while less expensive, did not show to be as effective as Ultimate on their comparison chart. If I'm going to go to the labor intensive project of completely removing my interior to install the product, I want the maximum result for the fewest bucks, from what I am finding, B-Quiet Ultimate fits the bill. I am awaiting samples from B-Quiet before I jump.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Checked out site...

I checked out the Volvo site referenced in an earlier post. I found it interesting how many squeaks and rattles those folks were trying to fix. Just sayin'...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
did Quick Roof on my 99 accord

Name:  P1010028.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  56.7 KB

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Quick Roof looks like it is some heavy duty stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PEEL N SEAL IS THE REAL DEAL. (for sound deadening)