2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone Sleep in their fit? v. Camping

Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone Sleep in their fit? v. Camping

Is it possible?

Im 5'11'' and when i had my xterra everything folded flat like the fit and i would take the driver and passenger seat and move them up all the way and tilt the backs forward.

anyone done this in their fit?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
I did three weekends ago. I'm 6'4 had to fold the knees a bit and bring a pad to sleep on or it will bruise the hips

Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
sure have. Drove from ct to ca, poured rain in denver, and folded our tent and everything we owned. Being on a budget, slept in the fit.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ECGETAWAY
I did three weekends ago. I'm 6'4 had to fold the knees a bit and bring a pad to sleep on or it will bruise the hips
Originally Posted by score04w
sure have. Drove from ct to ca, poured rain in denver, and folded our tent and everything we owned. Being on a budget, slept in the fit.
good to know...yeah we will bring a small pad as well as blankets...

did you guys both do it the way i suggested or something different?

also score04w, how tall are you?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
6 ft. Just put the seats down and everything, i got the pleasure of sleeping drivers side so the wheel wasn't too comfortable.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
you folded the front seat all the way back?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
yeah. and took the headrest off.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
hmmmm...ill try that..

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Did this in my GD, although I slept in the cargo area on the folded rear seats. The surface is kind of hard though so I'd suggest putting a sleeping bag over it for more comfort.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Haha I've done 3 different week long trips from Ca to Oregon and done this every time! I've got a 1 1/2" memory foam bed pad that I use in my tent and it works out great for 2 people! In the GD just push the front seats all the way forward and tip them forward. load all your gear in the front seats and dash and lay with your head to the hatch. My girl and I love to go on road trips this way, it's like having a micro RV! Haha

BTW I'm 5'9" and can sleep stretched out fully

Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lcq4blackstar
Haha I've done 3 different week long trips from Ca to Oregon and done this every time! I've got a 1 1/2" memory foam bed pad that I use in my tent and it works out great for 2 people! In the GD just push the front seats all the way forward and tip them forward. load all your gear in the front seats and dash and lay with your head to the hatch. My girl and I love to go on road trips this way, it's like having a micro RV! Haha

awesome....this is exactly what i plan to do with my gf

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
I am getting a little too stove up with arthritis to sleep in most cars anymore but I am sure that with some dense foam padding on the rear floor I could sleep in my Fit.... I used to sleep in the back of a VW Thing and did more than that at times in the back of it.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
yep, drove from Canada to San Diego and back...just had to remove the headrest and slept in my sleeping bag with a pad...everything was fine. Oh I'm 5'10"

Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lcq4blackstar

Awesome idea. Wish I'd thought of this. +Rep!

I'm 5'8" and this will certainly work.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 AM
This sounds like great fun!

One question -- what do you do for ventilation? I know from a couple times I had to take a snooze in the civic that it got pretty stuffy after a couple hours, and I hate to leave windows down for the dew to fall in.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm, the air is fine for me when I sleep in the fit. The ventilation openings in the dash will provide fresh oxygen. Plus the car isn't air tight, so there will be exchange with the outside air naturally.
Crack the window a bit, don't worry about the dew. I would worry about spiders or snakes if you are in certain areas though.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 AM
If u have window visors crack the windows just a wee bit I find cracking all four is the best way to go I have a thick sleeping bag I put down in the back and sleep on top of it I'm 5'11" and defently not a small guy broad shoulders and weight 197 lbs and I sleep great in my car but I hve my head twords te frount seats since my back window is tinted it's more privet cuz I don't have a sunscreen also it's darker

Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 AM
One of the things that disappointed me a bit was seeing that the passenger seat did not fold flush with the rear cargo area. I'm figuring on an extended road trip and will be sleeping/camping in the car. Haven't crawled in yet, but it does look like a six footer could curl up in there.

Back in the day I had a 67 Beetle and would slide out the passenger seat and pull out the rear seat base and put an "L" shaped piece of 3/4 of plywood in there to sleep on and haul crap. Amazing amount of room and the seats were in and out in a flash. Isn't like that any more - too many dang wires and bolts to get the seat out but the folding stuff is real sweet.

I like the foam pad idea - I'll go for a 4" thick chunk - question is exactly how strong is the cover over the spare. I'm 6'@205# and am a bit hesitant to just go crawling around on it. By keeping the driver side rear seat up I could have a ton of storage. K_C_

Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Can't hurt anything and beats being cold.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
This sounds like great fun!

One question -- what do you do for ventilation? I know from a couple times I had to take a snooze in the civic that it got pretty stuffy after a couple hours, and I hate to leave windows down for the dew to fall in.
Crack the windows open a bit and set your A/C blend to outside air, that should do the trick

On cold nights, it does get fogged-up inside the Fit in a humid country like mine though.

Something I'd like to share: I used to sleep in my Jazz all the time during lunch breaks while parked in covered parking...and in the noontime heat it does get rather stuffy with all the windows barely open. Lucky for me, the area's rather windy so I rolled down all the windows to 1/3 height.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Sleep in their fit? v. Camping