2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Check Fuel Cap

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Check Fuel Cap

Hey whenever it's hot outside and I go into my car, the little LCD screen behind the steering wheel on the dash (the one that tells you your MPG) says I need to "Check Fuel Cap" I check the fuel cap and it's securely on. I think it's just a bad sensor or something. It only does this when its really hot outside. You guys ever experience this?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by SkEEzY_GT
Hey whenever it's hot outside and I go into my car, the little LCD screen behind the steering wheel on the dash (the one that tells you your MPG) says I need to "Check Fuel Cap" I check the fuel cap and it's securely on. I think it's just a bad sensor or something. It only does this when its really hot outside. You guys ever experience this?
More in likely it's not a bad sensor. This is a common occurrence in many cars. My tsx did the same thing once. All I did is checked the gas cap took it off and retighten the fuel cap. The message goes out after several days of normal driving once
the cap is tightened or replaced. It's has to do with the vapors from the gas I think. Now if it stays on after a week or so...then you might want to get it checked out. My tsx went away after 3 days. Just a change in temperature Hot/Cold outside and the vapors in the gas tank.
I've never had this problem on my Fit. Here is a threads on Acurazine talking about the same thing.

Fuel cap open message - AcuraZine Community

Check Fuel Cap Message - AcuraZine Community

google search and you will see this is common on all makes.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
I had it happen a few weeks ago when I was raining hard. I took it off and put back on and the next day or so the warning light turned off.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the link man. Yeah my car sits out in the hot sun when I'm at work and that's what I think does it. It doesn't do it any other time. I took the cap off and tightened it again and it went away. It seems to do it whenever it gets really hot though. It eventually goes away every time.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I also double check after I gas up. One station I use is full service and they usually don't twist the cap tight enough and don't close the gas door all the way. When I remember, I check that first thing. Although, I never got a light on yet.

Dan

Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
It did it to mine this morning. It's been really hot here this summer, then Saturday night I drove home in a heavy downpour (REALLY heavy), and this mornign I got the "check fuel cap" message. I stopped the engine, removed and reinstalled the cap, and restarted the car. I guess I'll have to wait a few days to see if it clears.

My Neon used to do this, too. The Dodge service manager showed me how to check the Neon's gas cap for dirt, rust or other foreign matter holding the check valve open and causing the "check engine" light to come on. Does anybody know if there's anything similar with the Fit cap I should look for?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Happened once to me during the onset of warm weather here.Checked the cap, and it was on tight. Went out after 2 days and never came back.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
it happened to me last week when it was very hot!!!!

I open and retighten it .... no use!!!!

so I just drive with the message on the dash!!! but you can still go back to your normal dash screen if you don't like to see the message

just hit the button thingy and it will switch

but after I drive for couple of mins the message disappear!!!

so nothing to worry about!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Overfilling the tank, or heat expansion with a full tank might trigger it. If the cap is on tight, undamaged, and has a good seal the warning should go away eventually.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
never had this so far on my GD, but on my GE it did happen the same way. was a frikken hot day and wife comes home she says the gas cap light is on.

i open the cap to release some of the pressure, clear the code with my OBD2 scanner and everything is back to normal.