2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DIY: Denso IK22 spark plugs

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Denso IK22 spark plugs

So I can't find anyone putting this info on the forum... Darn me and my ability to use search function lol I hope this helps those who chickened out because of what people said about intalling spark plugs on GE8. I know u have to "feel it" a lot of things but it's really easy if u have a basic knowlodge about changing spark plugs.

Disclaimer: U r ur own doing it! I'm just telling u how it can be done

Anyway, u will need:
1.4 Denso IK22 spark plugs (I paid $32 shipped)
2.10mm socket with 4" extension
3.Traditional 5/8" spark plug socket with 8" extension
4.Strong back (I'm serious...)

Here's how it looks like under the hood if u never opened it

We are going to use this "little space" left side of the engine and top of the oil cap to access the spark plugs. (Trust me, it's more than enough room to access )

Room behind the engine (see? enough rooms! )

This is how it looks like from the back

More detail pic of it

1.First, disconnect the battery with 10mm socket

2.So here comes the blind work. Use the same 10mm socket with 4" extension to remove the bolt that's holding the gray color spark plug coil. This is where u have to take ur time looking for the first bolt. They are away from u which means far right side of the gray spark plug coil. There's only 1 bolt holding each coil and they r not really tight so it can be removed very easily.

Going in!!!

In this pic, the gray square thing is the coil and the blue thing is the connector that we have to remove later. The bolt can't be seen from the pic because it's on the otherside of it.

Here's a pic of the bolt (it's color coded red)

3.After removing the bolt, disconnet the blue thinggy that u saw on last pic. By doing it, u have to press from the top of the blue thing and u will hear a click. And then slide it away from the coil to remove it. The blue connector doesn't go anywhere since it's mounted so don't worry about it for now.

4.Remove the gray spark plug coil. U kinda have to spin left and right as u pull it to make it easy to come out.

Here's how the coil looks like.

5.Using the traditional 5/8" spark plug socket, remove the old plug. That 8" extension is perfect for the space we have.

Going in again!!!

Here's the NGK stock spark plug that's hiding 2 HP :P.

6.Make sure u put some of those sprak plug grease thinggy on top of the spark plug. (sorry I don't have a pic of them) Put the new IK22 into the spark plug hole. Ur spark plug socket should have a rubber ring inside to hold a plug. Use the torque recommended by Honda. (I don't really use a torque rench on stuff like this since I know how tight it should be by hand: not recomended lol)

7.Put the gray coil back. Again spin left and right while u push them into the hole. (Sound dirty )

8.Connect the blue connecter to the coil. Make sure u hear a "click". And check if it is secure.

9.Put the bolt back in. Again use the torque recommended by Honda.

10.Repeat step 2~9 3 times.

11.Check everything is secure

12.Connect the battery back and tight using torque recommended by Honda.

13.Check nuts and bolts again after a while (I did about a month after)

Thoughts: It is just time consuming and gets pretty frustrated after a while. Also, if u have a bad back like me, it WILL hurt like hell after 10 mins since u have to "hug" the engine for 30+ mins... But take ur time and try to do the hardiest one (far right one) first and u will realize that it's not that difficult to change. Please let me know if u have any question.

Last edited by jkskrn; 04-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hahaha great DIY! I did this with Zex cold plugs. Most people took off the cowl (which makes it easier, but much much much more time consuming). You're the only other one that I know of that did it without removing the cowl. If people can "do it blind" I'd highly encourage everyone to follow this DIY. Very nice.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
LoL yeah, I asked my friend who's a Honda tech and he said "I ain't gonna waste an hr removing half of front end to do $50 job..." And told me how Honda dealers do. It make sense for the dealer doing it this way to save time and money. I don't have many pics because I did it like a month ago and today I just checked nuts and bolts to see if they are okay and decided to take some pics .

Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
i think putting deno's is a waste...lol
what are the OEM plugs? haha...thats sweet the FIT has coilovers?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
oh cool i never knew our stock sparkplugs were NGK IR, can you see what gap those stock ones are?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I do not believe plugs will get you 2HP,
I wave the BS flag on that

Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
According to this article (which doesn't necessarily make it true) you may be able to gain by changing plugs.

Project 2009 Honda Fit - Denso Iridium Spark Plugs - Honda Tuning Magazine

Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Its impossible to dyno a 2hp gain or loss considering that is well within the margin of error for a dyno. You can dyno in at 100whp, put on a hat, then 10 minutes later do another dyno and you might see 102whp, or even 98whp.

When I need to change my plugs, ill be giving you a call bro! No way im trying that, I dont have patience for that. Did you feel any honest difference with the plugs?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
i wouuld say with an intake and a downpipe you gain more then plugs, but thats expensive
this car is not really meant to be a sports car...get an S2000!

but really, maybe 2hp when the engine is cold won't do shit lol
run 95 octane that might give u the same results lmao

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by canuck901
i wouuld say with an intake and a downpipe you gain more then plugs, but thats expensive
this car is not really meant to be a sports car...get an S2000!

but really, maybe 2hp when the engine is cold won't do shit lol
run 95 octane that might give u the same results lmao
Nobody is arguing your first statement. This is just a guide for those that want to change their spark plugs as there have been lots of talk of how complicated it is.

This car is not a sports car, but what is wrong with people modding it for the fun of modifying and personalizing car. I had an S2000 and it was just as fast as the Fit under 6,000. You have to rev the shit out of it just to get it moving.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to make a daily driver run faster, smoother, better, and last longer.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the DIY. Anyknow what the recommended torque is for the plugs?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Nobody is arguing your first statement. This is just a guide for those that want to change their spark plugs as there have been lots of talk of how complicated it is.

This car is not a sports car, but what is wrong with people modding it for the fun of modifying and personalizing car. I had an S2000 and it was just as fast as the Fit under 6,000. You have to rev the shit out of it just to get it moving.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to make a daily driver run faster, smoother, better, and last longer.
I understand that but people need to be realistic when stating performance upgrades on your vehicles

Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
I understand that but people need to be realistic when stating performance upgrades on your vehicles
I did it because I have better experiences with Denso than NGK plugs, and read article that it helps to run engine cooler. If u think this is a waste then don't bother changing them. I did this to show people that it's not difficult as what people says to change spark plugs on GE8... Seriously, how come I get all these hacklers everytime I start something...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
dont worry jkskrn i thought your dyi was very useful for my future ik22 install. keep up the good work and let us know how your 1/4 mile times are coming along.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Its impossible to dyno a 2hp gain or loss considering that is well within the margin of error for a dyno. You can dyno in at 100whp, put on a hat, then 10 minutes later do another dyno and you might see 102whp, or even 98whp.

When I need to change my plugs, ill be giving you a call bro! No way im trying that, I dont have patience for that. Did you feel any honest difference with the plugs?
Sure dude, hit me up anytime, I'll do it for a couple of beer and a pack of cig lol Well, I didn't feel anything until I started filling up with premium gas. I had premium gas before without these plugs, and wasn't really this responsive. I think these plugs works better with premium gas. And works so much better with PRM intake & HKS exhaust for sure.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
i have changed plugs in my 240sx and in my rx7 and have felt the difference but it isnt really more power it normally runs smoother and just feels like it isnt straining to run. honestly when this summer starts ill be doing this swap

Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
dont worry jkskrn i thought your dyi was very useful for my future ik22 install. keep up the good work and let us know how your 1/4 mile times are coming along.
Thanks Yeah, I felt so bad not going to the track last night But I will def. go tomorrow so I can break the 17 sec wall

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
there's also issues running with denso's in the long run, your can end up running rich or cooler or warmer

if the FIT originally comes with iridiums I don't see it being a problem,

here's a review of a guy running IK22s on his volvo

Denso Iridium Plugs

Rating: NA
So far several aspects of the plugs have yet to be tested, so the rating may change at a later date. Denso is the only plug I know of which advertises a HP increase with their plugs. There are a lot of claims made, but so far these plugs are living up to all the hype. One claim Denso is proud of is their "five rib design". I can attest to the effectiveness of their rib design. In fact due to it, I was unable to use my 5/8 spark plug socket and had to opt for a standard socket. The problem arises when you try to remove the socket from the plug. It separates the socket leaving you with the wrench and the extender while the socket remains firmly attached to the plug. Update: Due to problems I have changed the rating to NA.
Fit: NA
Finish: 10
Its a spark plug. There is not a lot to say about it. For what its worth though, Denso took the time to polish the whole plug. Also worth noting is Denso's laser welding technology.

Performance: 9
There are three basic concerns when shopping for a spark plug, idle quality, performance, and longevity. From what I have found, copper seems to idle the best as well as offer the best starts. The downside is copper plugs show gap erosion at around 7,000 miles. While platinum plugs last well beyond 7,000 miles, they do not perform as well as copper. This is where Denso enters the picture. Denso claims good all around performance as well as longevity with their iridium plugs. Start up and idle is at least as good as with copper plugs, and better than platinum plugs. Longevity has yet to be determined.
Note: I will publish any issues as they arise.
Update:
At just over 6,000 miles, one of the plugs snapped in half at the electrode [see image below]. Cylinder 3 also showed signs of cracks. The car is running slightly rich with EGT temps under 1300 always. Because of this I returned to conventional plugs and have not had a problem. While the iridiums did run better, I was not willing to risk another plug cracking.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
instead of denso is there an ngk plug that works?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Sure dude, hit me up anytime, I'll do it for a couple of beer and a pack of cig lol Well, I didn't feel anything until I started filling up with premium gas. I had premium gas before without these plugs, and wasn't really this responsive. I think these plugs works better with premium gas. And works so much better with PRM intake & HKS exhaust for sure.
I should go to the track with you one day. My cars stock except for a K&N filter, but its a 5 speed. So I'm curious to see what the difference is. Although I'm always so easy on my car I'm afraid of running it hard. I never go past 4,000 rpm. Plus I live an hour away from bithlo over in BVL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Denso IK22 spark plugs