1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wheel stud replacement?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Wheel stud replacement?

Tire shop that last had my wheels off cross-threaded one of the wheel studs.

Has anyone ever replaced a wheel stud or have an idea of the process?

This thread on the 2008+ Fit says that the studs must be pressed out of the hub: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...pppplease.html

Would that apply to the 1st Gen Fit as well?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
i think is not a DIY procedure, studs are integrated to the hub by applying pressure and i dont think studs are sold in retail. i have one stud broken on my left front wheel, i was concerned at first, but then see there is no problem running with only three bolts. im expecting change all the hub like i did for my rears.

but if you want to try, first you need to find a specific stud and the uninstall the wheel hub, (is far more complicated on the front than the rear ones), and then send to a workshop for the installation. and after that im not sure if the fix will work for long (if it works)

NOTE: Old car models used to work with this fix, so you will find lots of people given you the repair advice.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbolanos
i think is not a DIY procedure, studs are integrated to the hub by applying pressure and i dont think studs are sold in retail. i have one stud broken on my left front wheel, i was concerned at first, but then see there is no problem running with only three bolts. im expecting change all the hub like i did for my rears.

but if you want to try, first you need to find a specific stud and the uninstall the wheel hub, (is far more complicated on the front than the rear ones), and then send to a workshop for the installation. and after that im not sure if the fix will work for long (if it works)

NOTE: Old car models used to work with this fix, so you will find lots of people given you the repair advice.
I've never replaced a stud before but are you saying it isn't a DIY project on the Fit or in general? I ask because my neighbor just replaced some studs on his daughters 2000 Hyundai Elantra with no problem. Granted the hubs were never removed in 11 years so getting the hubs off were a project but that goes in a different DIY thread.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had to do this on a Fit, but had it done once on my wife's old Chevy Cavalier. At the time we were stranded in another city and the stud sheered off when I was taking off the wheel to put on the spare. Anyway, I was surprised how little a shop charged me to do it when we got the new tire. it was was something like $50.