2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to replace spark plugs on 2009 Fit

Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
How to replace spark plugs on 2009 Fit

I took a look at the engine compartment today. How do you change the plugs? It seems like there is no room getting to the back side of the engine.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
you have to take all the stuff the top of the engine.
wipers/plastics/wiper motor right down to the engine.
a little like this pic but even futher down.

the only other way i can say is maybe from the bottom in the back.
but i doubt it. to high of a reach.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vwli
I took a look at the engine compartment today. How do you change the plugs? It seems like there is no room getting to the back side of the engine.
talk about preemptive efficiency.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmmm. how many times do you think you'll have to change them. THIS AIN'T 1979.. My '98 Integra is on its original set after 85,00 miles and 10 years. I bet a 2009 Fit might be able to make it 20 years?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by niko3257
a little like this pic but even futher down.

the only other way i can say is maybe from the bottom in the back.
but i doubt it. to high of a reach.
Is this picture from your other thread DIY lower your GE8 Fit? BTW, a great DIY write-up but more than I'd want to try :-)

It looks like the spark plugs are towards the back of the engine approached from the top, under the ignition coils. Behind the ribbed section, behind the section labeled Honda iVTec.

Hopefully the originals will last 100k miles

Last edited by pharmpk; 02-02-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Looks like a pain in the ass. I think honda spark plugs are recommended to be changed every 105,000 miles.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Is this picture from your other thread DIY lower your GE8 Fit? BTW, a great DIY write-up but more than I'd want to try :-)

It looks like the spark plugs are towards the back of the engine approached from the top, under the ignition coils. Behind the ribbed section, behind the section labeled Honda iVTec.

Hopefully the originals will last 100k miles

yeah there down there a ways. but that god we don't have to worry about them for a while.
oh and yes the pic is mine. DIY was a pain but i got it done.
thanks for the comp.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
That's too bad they're so difficult to get to. If I'm still alive in 10 years, I'll deal with it then.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by niko3257
and that for just one small spark plug?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Spark Plugs Replacement

Most likely I will take it to the dealer to have them changed when the time comes. I wonder how much they are going to charge us? What kind of idiot will locate the spark plugs at the back side of the engine anyway? My previois cars (88 Corolla and 2002 G20 all have 4 spark plugs easily accessible at the front side of the engine).

Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Thumbs down

That's really disappointing.

From looking at the maintenance schedule, valve clearance has to be checked/adjusted occasionally, too. I'm assuming that's an equal/greater PITA if the spark plugs are that hard to get to.

I think the timing belt replacement I did on the Passat was more easily accessed than changing the spark plugs will be on the Fit.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
That's really disappointing.

From looking at the maintenance schedule, valve clearance has to be checked/adjusted occasionally, too. I'm assuming that's an equal/greater PITA if the spark plugs are that hard to get to.

I think the timing belt replacement I did on the Passat was more easily accessed than changing the spark plugs will be on the Fit.

There are oftentimes maintenance jobs which require a lot of labor. From my past I recall:
1. Example: Mazda Millenia S, 1998. To replace a timing belt at 60,000 miles, you had to remove the supercharger belt and whole assembly. This was estimated at about 12 hours labor, plus the part, of course.
2. Example: Ford Taurus SHO, 1991. You had to remove the entire top of the engine, including timing belt and intake plumbing, simply to get in to adjust valve clearances. Also a huge job,

Honda is pretty good about making their cars maintainable. It is certainly very easy to change plugs and adjust valves on an S2000. It is not so terrible that it is a bit of a job to change Fit plugs, given the 105,000 mile interval. This is the price you pay for having an extremely compact design with an ultra-short hood. You enjoy the excellent space efficiency and maneuverability, and once or twice in the life of the car you pay a few bills extra for the plug maintenance. On the good side, the Fit does not have a timing belt requiring periodic replacement.

And I vaguely remember that there was some model Pontiac of the late 60's or thereabouts, which had a V-8 engine so crammed underhood, that to change the two rearmost plugs, you had to undo the engine mounts and physically lift the engine partially out of the car. And that was from an era where plugs had to be changed quite frequently.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 PM
you have to take the upper intake plenum off (thats the black piece) thats the easiest way and since it appears to have a rubber gasket just check for rips and pop it back on you will also have to unplug alot of wires and hises and the intake pipe but its also easy if you have thin arms and the patience to give it the ole reach around

Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy
And I vaguely remember that there was some model Pontiac of the late 60's or thereabouts, which had a V-8 engine so crammed underhood, that to change the two rearmost plugs, you had to undo the engine mounts and physically lift the engine partially out of the car. And that was from an era where plugs had to be changed quite frequently.
Recently had the spark plugs changed on the 00 Chev Venture, which requires rotating the engine. Not much room back there either. Looks like a lot more in the Fit once the cover is removed... plenty of time yet to worry about that. :-)

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned
Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
It is fortunate that at 105000 miles, we wont have to worry about this for a while. The problem is, one day we are going to have to change the plugs. When we start approaching 100000 miles, we will start worrying about it. We can figure out how to do it ourselves, or go to the dealer, bend over and grab our ankles.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sage
It is fortunate that at 105000 miles, we wont have to worry about this for a while. The problem is, one day we are going to have to change the plugs. When we start approaching 100000 miles, we will start worrying about it. We can figure out how to do it ourselves, or go to the dealer, bend over and grab our ankles.
You are obviously free to do whatever has the most appeal for you, but the simple thing would be to either grab your wallet, or spend ten minutes removing the two plastic cowlings and just R&R your own plugs.

At the very least, putting the cowlings in the way generates extra profit for dealerships charging $100.+ per hour shop rates. Why not just pay that money to yourself by doing your own work? The fact is, the money you save by just changing your own plugs would more than pay for the Helm Fit Service Manual that tells you in advance exactly how to do it.

sage, my first sentence was not an insult on the habits of Missoulans, just a sly little joke on the phrase you used.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry Manx. I realized that was a little crude after I posted it. I'll be more careful what I post from now on.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
Sage-

Don't be silly. I wasn't being critical in any way. You used a common humorous, descriptive old-time comment that was accurate. I just joked about it, and did not want you to think that I was putting down common language from "the country". My dad was even born in Butte.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
What kind of spark plugs last that long?

Some fancy irridium or titanium?

I can't imagine leaving any plugs in for more than 30K miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace spark plugs on 2009 Fit