Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

What SCCA Class am I in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
What SCCA Class am I in?

It would take me for ever to decipher the language, and i thought others have much better knowledge than i...

2008 fit sport

16x7 wheels
205/45 a/s tires +500 wear
adjustable shocks front and rear
sway bar rear
lowering springs
diy intake mods
home cooked alignments

thoughts?

thanks!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
STF
10 characters

Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
As stated above, definitely Street Touring FWD. You can run up to 200tw 225mm wide tires on 7.5" wide wheels. All "bolt on" power mods are allowed for I/H/E and a FlashPro is your best best to tune.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
not 8" wide?

thanks for the quick answer!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, the 7.5" thing is sucky, but it is a good thing! In a class that also includes the RSX-S and EP3, with roughly double the whp, you don't want them being able to put that power down!!!

If you want a quality 15x7.5", 949 6UL is essentially a spec wheel for the class, unless your lucky/baller enpugh to pickup a set of SSR Comp C's lol

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i was hoping for 15x8 6ul's with 205/50 rival-ss-etc for tires...

i guess it'll save me $40 in wheels

are you allowed to modify the front struts at all? such as slotting them for camber gain?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I. On strut-equipped cars, the strut’s lower integral mounting bracket, for attachment to the upright or spindle, is unrestricted provided it attaches to the standard location. Any resulting change to the position of the strut centerline is allowed. Such brackets shall serve no other purpose. This does not allow for changes to the integral steering arm on cars that have the steering arm integrated with the strut body.

That's from the rule book, I'd say yes, slot away.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Don't think 949 makes anything less than 8" anymore. At least that was the last I checked. Cause I need some 7" wheels to run my 225 toyo rr for honda challenge.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
sweet... thanks rag! cuz i already had it done...

previc... they have the 7.5 on their site right now... why are you using 7" with 225?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
225 is max tire size and 7" is the max wheel size per rulebook

Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'll just leave this here... *cough* Cheaper and lighter *cough* Darn allergies.

Advanti Racing Storm S1 15x7 Grey for Miata, 15x7

Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
I like those wheels but can they handle abuse? Like curb jumping? I do like cutting corners.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'll find out in June... Just (literally) bought the last 2 15x7 Hyper Silvers. haha In addition to that, I've had the 15x9s for a bit and only had 2 short 15 minute drives... Ended up putting a slit in my NT01 during the second round. -.-

Spec wise though they seem to be just as strong as (or stronger) the Gen 3 6ULs.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
I'll just leave this here... *cough* Cheaper and lighter *cough* Darn allergies.

10lbs a piece at that price? Those are pretty damn awesome! Very nice..

Old 04-26-2015, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
i'll have to check those out...

Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Previc93
225 is max tire size and 7" is the max wheel size per rulebook

Previc/Hootie,
What are two widest/stickiest tires (I'm looking for a specific brand) I can mount on these wheels that are good for my level of driving (Brand new)? I did my first autox today and I'm HOOKED. My 185-60/14's were screamin' like a woman having a baby. I had soooo much fun though. Although I am driving the CVT, I don't feel like it is holding me back. The power was there as I tapped the throttle through the turns. My tires just weren't having none of it.

I came in 24th out of 31 in the novice class. I don't care though. I'm ready to compete!
http://autox4u.com/nnjrlive/results.html

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-26-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Previc/Hootie,
What are two widest/stickiest tires (I'm looking for a specific brand) I can mount on these wheels that are good for my level of driving (Brand new)? I did my first autox today and I'm HOOKED. My 185-60/14's were screamin' like a woman having a baby. I had soooo much fun though. Although I am driving the CVT, I don't feel like it is holding me back. The power was there as I tapped the throttle through the turns. My tires just weren't having none of it.

I came in 24th out of 31 in the novice class. I don't care though. I'm ready to compete!
NNJR SCCA/PCA Event #1 (Apr-26 03:46:41)
These wheels as in the 15x7 Avanti Storms? Tire width wise, you should be able to run up to a 225 on a 7 wheel BUT the tire's sidewall will likely flex a tad more than on a more adequate width wheel (like an 8 inch)... mind you that's not event taking its clearances in to consideration when running it on the car.

I would start with looking for either a 205/50 or 205/55 (reason will be provided later) if you are looking into running a 15 inch wheel. The GK5 is a fairly new platform and I'm not sure if someone has quite figured out what it's wheel/tire fitment clearances are just yet... 205s on a 15x7 ET+35mm wheel shouldn't be too aggressive up front in my opinion... maybe a concern in the rear though I could be wrong. If anyone reading this and happens to have factual knowledge please chime in. If you're considering 16s, I would recommend to take the same consideration into affect regarding wheel and tire width in combination with the wheel's offset.

Now... tire choices and sizing.

In 205/50R15, I tend to see BFG Rivals left and right in my area. I haven't driven on it personally. Dry grip from what I hear is pretty good... when their grip limit is exceeded they are still fairly manageable. I.E. You get the car to step out, slide a bit and recover fairly well. It doesn't mind being slid on a bit at its limits from what I understand. Again, I haven't driven on the tire myself but from what I hear in my area it is a nice well rounded tire. I believe TPColgett runs them on his Fit and would be able to get you a more detailed review on the tires. Something else to look out for, BFG has released an updated version of the tire called the Rival S.

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R... another 205/50R15. I have these and had the older AD08 and I love how great their grip is, especially in the wet. One event in particular I was roughly .6 of second slower than an Evo 9! (AX results from wet Nov. event and Mar. event). Dry grip is very good, the tires tend to give very good feedback both in terms of feeling and sound, and also have a sidewall that doesn't flex too much during transitions. On the other hand... They do NOT care to slide too much. They're more of a precision oriented tire... yes, they will allow the car to rotate when sliding BUT be ready when they do decide to grip again.

Other mention-able tires in 205/50R15... Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and the Bridgestone RE-71R (new kid on the block, lots of people trying this tire).

205/50R16s...

The Bridgestone RE-71R and its lesser aggressive sibling the RE760 Sport along with the Dunlop ZII Star Spec are also available in 205/50R16 sizing BUT the Bridgestones are currently have a $70 rebate on Tire Rack. On the flip side... 205/50R16s are beginning to become limited in tire choices. I don't even see Continental DWs on there any more.

One thing that I would be a little concerned about on your GK5 is the new TPMS. Since it does use wheel speed sensors to monitor the tires instead of actual pressures. Running the shorter 205/50R15 may cause your low tire light to come on (likely due to spinning faster than its program's limit range) and MAY NOT allow your VSA to be disabled. If you have access to a smaller set of wheels and tires, I would highly recommend borrowing those for an experiment run and see how the system will behave prior to making a large investment on wheels and tires.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Huge thanks for the response. 15X7's seem like it will be the ticket, provided I don't have any fitment issues in the rear. I'll need to be sure about this before purchasing.

As for the TPMS, no concerns there. My TPMS light is already on due to running the 14" Kosei K1 TS wheels. As for the VSA, that light has been on since what seems like forever. Forgot if it was the TPMS light that makes it come on or the missing EGR (Been deleted due to the J's racing circuit converter). Oh well!

I'll be looking aggressively for confirmation on the fitment issues you stated above. The BFG R1 S's are $196.00 a piece from Tirerack but you gotta pay to play. I want to get it right if I'm going all out. ***The Reviews at Tirerack don't seem promising on these though. Will read through all reviews before purchasing any AutoX tire** They don't seem to heat up quick enough and lose tire grip after a few autox/track days.

Will look into some decent brake pads and go from there. Thanks again!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-26-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
These wheels as in the 15x7 Avanti Storms? Tire width wise, you should be able to run up to a 225 on a 7 wheel BUT the tire's sidewall will likely flex a tad more than on a more adequate width wheel (like an 8 inch)... mind you that's not event taking its clearances in to consideration when running it on the car.

I would start with looking for either a 205/50 or 205/55 (reason will be provided later) if you are looking into running a 15 inch wheel. The GK5 is a fairly new platform and I'm not sure if someone has quite figured out what it's wheel/tire fitment clearances are just yet... 205s on a 15x7 ET+35mm wheel shouldn't be too aggressive up front in my opinion... maybe a concern in the rear though I could be wrong. If anyone reading this and happens to have factual knowledge please chime in. If you're considering 16s, I would recommend to take the same consideration into affect regarding wheel and tire width in combination with the wheel's offset.

Now... tire choices and sizing.

In 205/50R15, I tend to see BFG Rivals left and right in my area. I haven't driven on it personally. Dry grip from what I hear is pretty good... when their grip limit is exceeded they are still fairly manageable. I.E. You get the car to step out, slide a bit and recover fairly well. It doesn't mind being slid on a bit at its limits from what I understand. Again, I haven't driven on the tire myself but from what I hear in my area it is a nice well rounded tire. I believe TPColgett runs them on his Fit and would be able to get you a more detailed review on the tires. Something else to look out for, BFG has released an updated version of the tire called the Rival S.

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R... another 205/50R15. I have these and had the older AD08 and I love how great their grip is, especially in the wet. One event in particular I was roughly .6 of second slower than an Evo 9! (AX results from wet Nov. event and Mar. event). Dry grip is very good, the tires tend to give very good feedback both in terms of feeling and sound, and also have a sidewall that doesn't flex too much during transitions. On the other hand... They do NOT care to slide too much. They're more of a precision oriented tire... yes, they will allow the car to rotate when sliding BUT be ready when they do decide to grip again.

Other mention-able tires in 205/50R15... Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec and the Bridgestone RE-71R (new kid on the block, lots of people trying this tire).

205/50R16s...

The Bridgestone RE-71R and its lesser aggressive sibling the RE760 Sport along with the Dunlop ZII Star Spec are also available in 205/50R16 sizing BUT the Bridgestones are currently have a $70 rebate on Tire Rack. On the flip side... 205/50R16s are beginning to become limited in tire choices. I don't even see Continental DWs on there any more.

One thing that I would be a little concerned about on your GK5 is the new TPMS. Since it does use wheel speed sensors to monitor the tires instead of actual pressures. Running the shorter 205/50R15 may cause your low tire light to come on (likely due to spinning faster than its program's limit range) and MAY NOT allow your VSA to be disabled. If you have access to a smaller set of wheels and tires, I would highly recommend borrowing those for an experiment run and see how the system will behave prior to making a large investment on wheels and tires.
205/50/15 works pretty well. I have that in the z2 star specs. No tpms light and I disabled traction like normal. I should've gotten rivals or Bridgestone r71r. Either would have paid contingency. Here they are in action

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yED8o0-4xRc&feature=youtu.be&t=59s

Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
So do I get the 15x7 s1's get a more aggressive offset, lighter weight and save $22 per wheel (at least for now - they're on sale), or the 15x7.5 6ul's for the extra bit of width...

???

Quick Reply: What SCCA Class am I in?