Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Wifey Autox

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
Wifey Autox

My wife is currently in the process of learning how to drive. She has a permit and will be taking the official driving test in a month or so. She's been doing well so far.

I want her to get a better feel for the car by taking her to some upcoming autox events and letter her take the Fit around some cones a few times.

Fellow Fitfreaks, what are your thoughts on this? Any autox events coming up locally (I'm in Delaware) that you recommend I take her too? I want to give her maximum feedback from instructors the whole time. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Auto cross would be a great way for her to learn. I think driving schools should include learning how your car feels and how to handle emergency situations. The Fins have a great driving program which includes learning how to do a reverse 180 turn.

Does DE have auto x events? All the ones I have seen have been in philly or NJ a couple hrs away.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Autocross is a great way to learn! Delaware should also have Washington DC region to help with autocross. You can look up Tire Rack's Street Survival School. That is probably the most helpful.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Auto cross would be a great way for her to learn. I think driving schools should include learning how your car feels and how to handle emergency situations. The Fins have a great driving program which includes learning how to do a reverse 180 turn.

Does DE have auto x events? All the ones I have seen have been in philly or NJ a couple hrs away.
Sorry for the late reply. I have not seen any events in Delaware as well. It was always in Philly or NJ.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
My wife is currently in the process of learning how to drive.........
Decades ago when I was dating my current wife, she didn't know how to drive so taught her how during the courtship. Little did I know what the future costs would be.
Got her first truck in 1990 and from there it never stopped!!! She now has her dream drive 4-wheeler (2nd time around) but also enjoys driving the GK (yes, she can drive a manual tranny) cause its so much simpler to putter in around town.
Buds, you have been warned!!! LOL!!!
Just worried that future acquisitions for her may delve into your track day funds. Can't let that happen to our FF track-time guru!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Decades ago when I was dating my current wife, she didn't know how to drive so taught her how during the courtship. Little did I know what the future costs would be.
Got her first truck in 1990 and from there it never stopped!!! She now has her dream drive 4-wheeler (2nd time around) but also enjoys driving the GK (yes, she can drive a manual tranny) cause its so much simpler to putter in around town.
Buds, you have been warned!!! LOL!!!
Just worried that future acquisitions for her may delve into your track day funds. Can't let that happen to our FF track-time guru!!!
I've since backed off pushing her but thought about it again. Thanks for reminding me to keep my thoughts to myself.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Take her to a HPDE and get her an instructor.

Never ever try and teach your SO to:
Shoot
Drive
Ski
Water-ski
Surf.

It usually ends badly..

Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx

Shoot
Drive
Ski
Water-ski
Surf.

It usually ends badly..
That is very sound advice.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx

Shoot
Drive
Ski
Water-ski
Surf.

It usually ends badly..
I agree. She can try autocross halfway through the learning process, if you wish to.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I am also in the process of learning how to drive a car. I want to thank you for giving a great idea of getting feedback from instructors.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jennistar
Hi,

I am also in the process of learning how to drive a car. I want to thank you for giving a great idea of getting feedback from instructors.
I never did follow through on this. I need to get back to asking if the Misses want to give this a try. I mentioned it way back when posting this and it totally slipped my mind since.