General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

There should be a mileage forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
There should be a mileage forum

There should be. I used to post topics of mileages, but they get shoved in that gigantic single thread. It goes to the point if I have a comment or an idea/observation of mileage, I don't post it, b/c I know no one will read it ,after its bundled in that huge ass thread that has varying topics, from bad mileage, good mileage, mileage improving advice, fuel types, etc. But they get shoved all n this single thread of hundreds of topics.

For the fit, theres only 3 things I care about: how it fares with other cars, mileage, and how fun it is. For people like me, i don't really care for shoes, bodykits, radio, etc. But there is no forum for stock-fit-loving or environment loving fit drivers.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Even if you post it in that long thread all users have to do is click on new posts and presto there is your thread no matter how long the original post is no searching, looking, or otherwise.
Yea, but if there are two topics, then it's like two people at the same time made two threads on mileage but about differnet things. It gets moved to that major thread. It becomes hard to track what is the most recent subject.

The confusion isn't just when two threads get moved at the same time. Let's say my first post in april was regarding MT vs auto mileage. my user CP tells me which threads are updated. When i see the mileage thread updated, I don't bother reading it, b/c 99% of the time, the most recent subject(s) are not discussing about what I orignially wanted to talk about when I posted on that thread. And I'm not goign to bother reading all the posts to figure out which belong to which discussions b/c it's messy to decipher that thread. It doesn't even make sense to read it. Post 211 may be about air filters. post 212 is about oil change. post 213 is about "woohoo i broke a mileage record". post 214 is about AT/MT mileage. post 215 is about air filters again, post 216 might be something that you have no idea what it means b/c you don't know the context "aw sorry to hear that!" etc.

It's like reading a transcript of a house party. Everyoen's talking about different things and it doesn't make sense to read all the thoughts at the same time.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, but it makes it difficult for people to notice and discuss specific topics relating to fuel economy since everything is tossed together in one thread.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by phoenity
Yes, but it makes it difficult for people to notice and discuss specific topics relating to fuel economy since everything is tossed together in one thread.
I'd go beyond difficult and call it impossible. u need WAY too much time and patience, or be mr sherlock holmes himself, to be able to understand what is going on in that thread.

I don't even thnk the moderators even tried reading that thread. It's a useless thread b/c it's unusable. heck, i won't be surprised if htis thread moves to the mileage thread. it's like any thrad on any random subject that has the words "mileage" will be transferred to that thread.

Last edited by Gordio; 02-20-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Just like the subject of performance upgrades, there are many specific topics pertaining to fuel economy that can't reasonably be contained in one thread.

According to the size of that thread, there is a lot of great information and opinions to be shared regarding fuel economy. But given the way it's currently organized, that information is not accessible to anyone without hours of spare time to spend searching through it.

Last edited by phoenity; 02-20-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The giant mileage thread has 1600 posts, the same as the entire suspension/brakes forum, and more than 31 of the other 48 forums.

Of course it's up to the FitFreak owners to decide how to structure the forums. We're just here to attract eyeballs to advertisers. There are plenty of actual and potential advertisers selling wheels, exhausts, stereos, etc. and practically none selling mileage-related merchandise.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by kps
The giant mileage thread has 1600 posts, the same as the entire suspension/brakes forum, and more than 31 of the other 48 forums.

Of course it's up to the FitFreak owners to decide how to structure the forums. We're just here to attract eyeballs to advertisers. There are plenty of actual and potential advertisers selling wheels, exhausts, stereos, etc. and practically none selling mileage-related merchandise.
There are tons. You just have to think outisde the box. I mean, first, we dont' drive hybrids, but one reason ppl get the fit is they believe there are gasoline cars that can help with mileage/environment.

And as for advertisers. Synthetic oil can yield mileages. Tires. Maybe lighter wheel caps. Air filter (i'm using a K&N one). Getting LED brake lights which are more energy saving than regular halogen/incandescent ones. Convenient Tire pressure tools. Gasoline brands.

Besides that, I think the audience who buys the fit for mileage is greater than those who buy the fit to be the new rice rocket. Sure theres less money in mileage forum, but there's a huge audience. I find myself posting less, b/c theres only two things I care about: mileage, and how good a car fit is compared to others. And I can't post about mileage, cuz it gets put in the "dumpster" (the mileage thread), and it's just very odd and suppressing when I can only discuss ONE thing.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 AM
There are only a FEW types of post in the mileage forum........

New guy: HI I just got my fit and I get XXXxmpg what are you guys getting?

Rant/venter I'm really pissed I thought I would get XXX mpg and I'm getting XXX

Traveler; HI I went from XXX to XXX with trucks, mountains, flat roads and got XXX mpg is that good?

Darn EPA They told me XXX mpg but I'm only getting XXX I really hate those guys.

Hopeful: I'm getting XXX mpg and I really wish it was more how do I do that?

Those categories would cover 90% of the posts they are all the same. I know because I read them.

Guys there is no magic bullet or panacea to improve your millage. EXCEPT the time tested big three...

Keep your tire inflated to specs.

Keep your engine tuned up.

It's all up to driving style ... keep your foot light on the pedal.

Loads of people are disappointed in their mileage but there is little or nothing you can do about it except the 3 golden rules.

SOME Fits start getting better mileage as they past through 5,000 miles but other than that what you are getting is what you are going to get there is no magic bullet here or on any site.

And with over 60,000 views how can you call the gas mileage post the dumpster loads of people are reading it. It's easy ( but I guess not easy enough you you guys) just click on it and go to last page and you will see all the new posts. When you post all the members will see your post just by clicking NEW POSTS how is that hard????

When and if someone comes up with some NEW USEFUL INFORMATION that doesn't FIT into one of those types of posts (listed above) we will make sure it gets the attention of everybody.

I can say the same for shoes. I can only think of two ways to start a thread regarding shoes: "Look at these brand new shoes!" & "where do i get these shoes?". But they have their own thread, right?

It's also opinion that mileage is "useless" or "only limited subjects". You can still mix 3 supposedly alike conversations into one thread, and no one can follow it. I certainly cant. When I see a newly mileage thread, post in it the best way possible (cuz I only have one shot), and hope the guy reads it before it gets moved, b/c I won't ever post there again. Given how its all jarbled up, the older any given topic, the more aged and contaminated and forgotten it becomes. I know the thread starter, especially if he's a newbie, will probably read 3 of the latest posts and give up on that thread. And mileage is 1/2 or 1/3 the amoutn of discussion I have with the Fit.

I want to share one thing. I keep an intricate excel sheet of mileages, which gasoline types, date of fillup, and comments (oil change, drove aggressively, all highway, etc). I'd be glad to share it, but I can't. I know people would like to show off their logs too. I assume you (claymore) don't think of mileage much, but if you are a mileage freak, you'll see there are a LOT of possible diverse topics regarding mileage.

Just like me and the shoes. I might be wrong that there are only exactly two ways to talk about them, but that's cuz I don't think about them. And like you, if you're not a mileage freak, then you'd think its a simple topic with simple solutions. I think you're oversimplifying the topic of mileage. Go to any hybrid forum, and you'll see how hardcore and detailed they can get. some people get 125mpg on their insights, 2 times greater than their EPA. What's his secret? shift early? Then why can't everyone get that much? You can't just go "check your tire pressure! next question?" "Shift early! next question" "Change our oil! next question!". There's a lot more to it to mileage than those you mentioned. You make it seem like mileage questions can be answered in one sentence.

Last edited by Gordio; 02-21-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
kps
Originally Posted by Gordio
IGiven how its all jarbled up, the older any given topic, the more aged and contaminated and forgotten it becomes. I know the thread starter, especially if he's a newbie, will probably read 3 of the latest posts and give up on that thread.
That's a problem for all topics, and for most other internet forums as well. There are really two different things happening --
  • providing information, and questions and answers (which later get found and read by many other people), and
  • conversation, often mostly among some of the 'regulars'.
These two things are at odds with one another; the chatter keeps some people coming back to provide more useful information, but it can also end up swamping and obscuring it. A reference wiki section might be a good idea.

There are only a FEW types of post in the mileage forum........

[snip]

Those categories would cover 90% of the posts they are all the same. I know because I read them.
Actually, you missed one of the big ones: is there something actually wrong with some 5AT Fits that makes them get ridiculously low mileage? (Honestly; there are several dozen posts -- a good-sized thread's worth -- in there among the 1600 others. No surprise you missed them, though.)

Yes, there are, mostly, only a few types of post in the mileage thread. Likewise, there are, mostly, only a few types of post in the Shoes forum: "Will these wheels fit?", "What are these wheels?", "Which wheels look better?", and "How do my new wheels look?". But they're not all dumped into just one giant 'Wheel' thread; in fact, there are dozens of separate "Will these wheels fit?" threads. A sub-forum just offers an opportunity for better organization; it doesn't necessarily get used that way....

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM
kps
If you guys can cool it for a bit I passed on your request to "upstairs" and if you can wait a bit we will get "Their" decision.
Thanks, Claymore.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Guys,

FitFreak's #1 priority is to serve our members. If we do setup a subforum for these type of discussions, will someone here be interested in moderating such a subforum?

btw as long as we have enough advertisers to pay the bills, forums sponsors are a second priority for me.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
kps
I could do some (I check in most days) but probably not single-handedly. (I used to moderate several lists in the '90s but got burned out and mostly gave it up.) I suspect that if the big thread is split up and there are a few stickies for the major repeating themes, then it'll mostly take care of itself.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by kps
I could do some (I check in most days) but probably not single-handedly. (I used to moderate several lists in the '90s but got burned out and mostly gave it up.) I suspect that if the big thread is split up and there are a few stickies for the major repeating themes, then it'll mostly take care of itself.

Sounds like kps is stepping up for the job. Anyone else willing to help him out?

Instead of a gas mileage subforum what about something more generic? A "Frugal Fit" sub-forum where gas mileage is one topic?

Lets have some ideas here so we can implement something that makes sense.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I think I can too. I check this forum literally every day.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Gordio, great! How about a sub-forum name and description if we proceed with this?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
kps
Originally Posted by FaceYogurt
Instead of a gas mileage subforum what about something more generic? A "Frugal Fit" sub-forum where gas mileage is one topic?
I like that idea, but I'm not sure what other threads would belong. Pricing, insurance, etc?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
What about just Eco-Fit? or "Fit for Fuel"? I don't like frugal fit, b/c although there will be a place to put frugal matters, i don't think ppl who want to talk about mileage would post there.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM
How about a 2 or 3 sentence description for this new forum?

For example:

Honda Fit Dealer Reviews
or Here is your chance to vent bad experiences with your local dealer or praise them for exceptional service! Please include the Dealer name, City, State and Country in the Title of your post. Help fellow FitFreaks find good dealers and avoid bad ones.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Fit for Fuel (or alt title)
"Got the low mileage blues? Care to share a 40+mpg tale? Automatic vs. Manual? Come here to discuss topics on fuel efficiency."

If that's too rhetoric, (cuz the other descriptions dont' look so rhetoric) just use something simple like:

"Discuss topics regarding Honda Fit's amazing (or sometimes disappointing) fuel economy"

Old 02-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Bump

Did anything happen yet

Quick Reply: There should be a mileage forum