General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Canadian rebate for Honda Fit (green incentive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Canadian rebate for Honda Fit (green incentive)

hey to any canadians, does anybody know what the rebate is on a honda fit through the green incentive? I heard it wasn't the max of 2000, but i couldn't find the actual numbers

Thanks

Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
In the US, government tax deductions only apply to hybrid vehicles.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Last I heard, the Honda Fit is NOT on the incentive list. The only non-hybrid econo box on the list - currently - is the Toyota Yaris.

Originally Posted by rocklee_110
hey to any canadians, does anybody know what the rebate is on a honda fit through the green incentive? I heard it wasn't the max of 2000, but i couldn't find the actual numbers

Thanks

Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM
the rebate depends on the fuel economy rating of the car...mini cooper was on the list so i assume fit is going to be on it too

Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, only one honda made it on the list.

ecoAuto Program - Transport Canada

I really don't understand as to why those hybrid SUVs with worse gas mileage than the FIT made it on the list. Buying hybrid vehicles isn't the only way to reduce pollution, smaller vehicles can do too

Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by startroops
Unfortunately, only one honda made it on the list.

I really don't understand as to why those hybrid SUVs with worse gas mileage than the FIT made it on the list. Buying hybrid vehicles isn't the only way to reduce pollution, smaller vehicles can do too
welcome to america where everything is overpriced, oversized, and overrated.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i belive it's included in teh price. and by the way, $2000 only applies to hybrids.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by rocklee_110

Thanks
Just read the article on this yesterday. The Fit's not on the list, but the Yaris is. From memory, the cutoff for a rebate was 6l/100km fuel usage (I might be a bit off on the actual #).

Whatever the actual number, The Fit was just over the established cutoff, and the Yaris was just under. So the Yaris is eligible for a $1000 rebate, and the Fit loses out. That's a big ouch for Honda - $1000 is a big difference at this price point.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
yeah, the cut-off for a car is 6.5 L p/100km and for an suv is 8.3 L p/100km

here is the website with more info:

it is kind of stupid that the fit and other smaller vehicles are not on the list, they should be rewarding everyone who chooses to drive a smaller, more efficient car rather than an suv or something larger.
this will probably help the sales of the yaris for sure which now has a car that is cheaper than the chevy aveo but arguably much better.

the funny thing is that they have included flex-fuel vehicles and currently, you can probably only find E85 at a handfull of stations in this country, and it is just as pricey as gasoline yet not as efficient.
so how many of these flex-fuel vehicles will actually be running ethanol?

edit: sorry startroops, i just noticed that you already posted the link

Last edited by peeker; 03-28-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The cutoff for cars is 6.5L/100km 'combined' (55% city + 45% highway). The Fit, via Fuel Consumption Ratings is rated 6.6L/100km (manual), 6.8L/100km (base auto), and 7.0L/100km (sport auto, woo).

But due to the E85 loophole, the Chevrolet Impala (12.3L/100km) and Chrysler Sebring (13.0L/100km) both qualify for $1000.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM
But due to the E85 loophole, the Chevrolet Impala (12.3L/100km) and Chrysler Sebring (13.0L/100km) both qualify for $1000
i think that is the concession to the domestic auto manufacturers.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedAndy
Just read the article on this yesterday. The Fit's not on the list, but the Yaris is.

Whatever the actual number, The Fit was just over the established cutoff, and the Yaris was just under. So the Yaris is eligible for a $1000 rebate, and the Fit loses out. That's a big ouch for Honda - $1000 is a big difference at this price point.
I checked all the links but never saw the combined numbers, just city/hwy.

If the Fit was a hybrid I could maybe get the $2,000 federal rebate plus the Manitoba rebate for another $2,000.

As the Toyota rating means millions of sales dollars you can bet the other
automakers have their lobbyists hard at work to change the rating to get their cars on the list.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:42 PM
kps
Originally Posted by willmax11
I checked all the links but never saw the combined numbers, just city/hwy.
The combined number for rebate purposes is 55% city, 45% highway.

Originally Posted by willmax11
As the Toyota rating means millions of sales dollars you can bet the other automakers have their lobbyists hard at work to change the rating to get their cars on the list.
I'd rather see Honda do something to qualify for the current rating, especially something I could swap in to my car, like tall 4th and 5th gears.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
FYI, the rebate program is only good if you purchased your vehicle on or after March 20th, 2007. So, if you bought a Yaris before that time, you're not eligible. Also, I was playing around in Toyota's website the other day and trying to match up the Yaris RS with the Fit Sport. While the Yaris 5dr. RS does start at a lower MSRP price than the Fit Sport, in the end it will cost more than $2k just to match the features/options that a standard Fit Sport has.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Honda Canada considering cutting safety equipment to improve mileage - AutoblogGreen

Here's an article regarding it. I think the fit does have too much safety...I don't even know if side airbags is needed, or is a steel frame good enough. The mention of this article is Fit's safety and its effect on added weight.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:58 PM
kps
Originally Posted by Gordio
Honda Canada considering cutting safety equipment to improve mileage - AutoblogGreen

Here's an article regarding it. I think the fit does have too much safety...I don't even know if side airbags is needed, or is a steel frame good enough. The mention of this article is Fit's safety and its effect on added weight.
"Honda Canada VP Jim Miller told a University of Windsor marketing class..." Try telling it to an engineering class, Jim. This is, to put it bluntly, a pile of crap. Airbags don't weight much. If removing them would make the difference, they could just replace the spare tire with a fix kit instead -- but that wouldn't make headlines, would it?

Honda has three sizes of the more efficient i-DSI engines they choose not to offer here; even the 1.5 would easily meet the standard. Honda has a CVT they choose not to offer here; that would easily meet the standard. Honda created a new short-geared variant of the manual transmission specifically for North America; I'd bet the regular taller gearing would meet the standard.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I got 100 dollars off when i bought my Fit last week. They told me it was for an incentive program... actually, if i read my bill of sale, its worded this way:

"Fuel tax conservation rebate"

I dont know if thats an Ontario only thing, but atleast the fit qualifies for something.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by kps
"Honda Canada VP Jim Miller told a University of Windsor marketing class..." Try telling it to an engineering class, Jim. This is, to put it bluntly, a pile of crap. Airbags don't weight much. If removing them would make the difference, they could just replace the spare tire with a fix kit instead -- but that wouldn't make headlines, would it?

Honda has three sizes of the more efficient i-DSI engines they choose not to offer here; even the 1.5 would easily meet the standard. Honda has a CVT they choose not to offer here; that would easily meet the standard. Honda created a new short-geared variant of the manual transmission specifically for North America; I'd bet the regular taller gearing would meet the standard.
I think they do...A while ago I read about why cars can never get 48 mpg like they used to, and it was cuz of safety equipment (not necc airbags). This includes mechanisms, airbags, ABS, AC (i think US u legally must have it), electronic brake distribution, etc. The fit's bumper also recoils if it feels it hit a pedestrian.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:15 PM
kps
Originally Posted by Gordio
I think they do...A while ago I read about why cars can never get 48 mpg like they used to, and it was cuz of safety equipment (not necc airbags). This includes mechanisms, airbags, ABS, AC (i think US u legally must have it), electronic brake distribution, etc. The fit's bumper also recoils if it feels it hit a pedestrian.
Airbags, ABS, EBD are available in other countries, and weigh next to nothing. Honda knows perfectly well that dropping 10 pounds of airbag isn't going to put the car below the rebate threshold. The bumpers and hood are longer here, and that does add real weight, but they're not something Honda could choose to drop to make a PR point.

I'm sure frame strength has played some role in increasing weight, but it's also just sheer size. Of course the Fit is a thousand pounds heavier than a '79 Civic; it's a lot bigger.

Weight isn't the only factor, though. The '95 Civic VX is rated 47mpg city / 56mpg highway. Multiply by the weight ratio (2094lb/2471lb) and you might expect 40mpg city / 47mpg highway for the Fit. (Incidentally, the cars' power-to-weight ratios are identical.) But the VX engine is lean-burn, which means a cat can't clean up all the NOx: LA has a smog problem, so we all burn 20% more fuel.

Still, Honda chose to send us the VTEC rather than the i-DSI L15A to score extra points in the horsepower wars, even though the i-DSI torque curve is better for real-world driving. Honda chose gear ratios for North America to get a sub-9s 0-60 time, and to allow people to climb steep hills without having to set the cell phone and Big Gulp down for a moment to shift. That's why they don't make the 6.5L/100km rebate cut.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I bought my MT Sport Fit the day after the rebate was announced and I used the rebate as a bargaining point. I did manage to get an extra $500 off, so I was happy.

I rented a Yaris while I was checking out cars and I wouldn't want one at any price, but that's not what I told my Honda dealer!

I would rather have this version of the Fit than one with less HP and higher gears. My decision to buy was based on the driving experience and changing the engine and the gears to get slightly better fuel economy makes no sense to me.

This car is more fun to drive than anything else I have driven and to me that is what the Fit is all about.

Quick Reply: Canadian rebate for Honda Fit (green incentive)