General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

439.4 miles on one tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM
439.4 miles on one tank

I've been trying to see if I could get over 400 miles on a tank with this car, so on a long trip across Virginia and back, I decided to try. I pumped this thing to full of gas that the filler neck was almost full. I then got stuck in a wreck on I81 that took 45 minutes of idle to get through. After that however, I drove it until I was almost out of gas. 439.4 miles and it took 10.28 to fill it. That equals 42.74! This is a Sport AT fit. Today, after a trip to D.C. and back, I got 420 miles on this tank. I think that I got 41 mpg on this one. One thing to think about is that this is being done on I-81 in VA which is up and down the mountains. I can see this car getting 45-48 mpg on perfectly flat land doing about 60 mph.

Only bad part about today was that I lost my left rear tire. I ran over something while filling up. I never made it out of the service station. So, I'm on the doughnut right now. Bad thing is that the tire has a hole right near the sidewall, so no plug or patch.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
That's pretty insane! What rpms were u shifting at and what was your avg. mph?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM
wow...you could get more mpg if there was no slow down..

you give us a hope in Sport Auto Family...

Old 05-21-2007, 11:55 PM
I shifted at around 3K and I keep it at 70 mph. I think that 60 is the sweet spot, but I can't back that up. We don't have enough highways that have a 60 mph speed limit without a ton of stoplights.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I filled up yesterday and got 455 miles on that tank. It has been a while since I got less than 400 miles out of a tank!! I think my record is around 475 miles.

Oh, and when topping off the tank, I may have the record - I pumped 13.0 gallons in there one time!! Usually I can put at least 12 gallons in. Yesterday I put in 12.1 gallons.

I'm running about 35 mpg average over the last 10 tanks or so.

I have about 29,000 miles on mine.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by wyy183
Oh, and when topping off the tank, I may have the record - I pumped 13.0 gallons in there one time!! Usually I can put at least 12 gallons in. Yesterday I put in 12.1 gallons.
Wait what? Counting the filler neck it hard to imagine going much over 11ish. Kudos if you can carry more. At the rate most of these cars sip gas, every gallon saves me at least a day before I need to fill up.

Nice job with the high mpg auto btw.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
32 here

Only getting about 31 - 32mpg here. But then there are a lot of hills in my area. The car doesnt like those long uphill sections very much. Maybe I should place it in neutral and coast down the downhill parts hehe.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Maybe I should place it in neutral and coast down the downhill parts hehe.
If you have a standard, yes. (Sorry, I don't know how to drive an automatic.)

Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Those numbers are crazy. I'm lucky if I can get 300 miles in one tank. I have a manual as well. I think I might have to baby it to get better mpg and see what happens.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I get those numbers, and drive ~75mph on the interstate, running the A/C full blast.

FWIW - when I first got it, I was getting upper 20's on mpg. It slowly started rising after about 6000 miles. Just keep creeping up, little by little.

Yes, I top off my tank. Always have on every car that I've owned over the past 30 years. I've never had an issue doing so, but I know that others say that it can do damage. I consistently put more than 12 gallons in it, topping off.

If you do the math, getting 35 mpg x 12 gallons = 420 miles.

For me, limiting stopped time is the key to getting the good mileage. I have a ScanGauge II and watch it when stopped. My overall drops dramatically when idling. If, for example, I'm stuck at a fast food drive-thru, I drop it in neutral and turn it off while I'm sitting still. Just takes a second to start back up. This is one of the keys that hybrids use to maximize gas mileage.

YMMV!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
You all should be happy with your mileage. I usually fill up my tank every 180 miles, getting about 24 mpg.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Gas Mileage

I have filled up 4 times now since getting my BOM April 21, 2007, and am averaging about 35-37 mpg. The last time I filled up (my fuel light came on), and it took 8.51 gallons to fill up (stiill had enough to go another 30, maybe or more). I usually drive 65 miles-per-hour on the country roads here in 'bama, going to work and back (19 miles one way). Everyone that sees my car asks "How many mpg's are you getting....and when I tell them, they are like, "gotta get a better mpg vehicle (all of them have HUGH SUV's). I picked a great vehicle, and I love it!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
I filled up yesterday and got 455 miles on that tank. It has been a while since I got less than 400 miles out of a tank!! I think my record is around 475 miles.

I'm running about 35 mpg average over the last 10 tanks or so.

I have about 29,000 miles on mine.
Sure your tank does not have a tumor or the like David? . Congrats on the 29K, me, 25K this past weekend, oilchange this weekend.

It amazes me to see the spread between Fit FEs. Even with my regular trips on I-40bahn through TN at 70-80 with hills I get 40mpg+, throw a few downtown Nashville trips on it and mixed is 36 or better.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
I was doing this for a time as well, but a few people mentioned the potential damage to the charcoal canister or whatever, so I figured it wasn't worth risking damage. It also was a pain in the ass waiting for the fuel to drop down and then adding more about 8 times. It probably wasn't worth the time waiting at the pump.

I have no idea if the damage thing is even true, but I figure that although miles per tank is convenient, it really has no meaning in overall economy. My mileage is about the same no matter what I do.

It is pretty cool to go over 400 miles on a tank...I miss those few weeks that I did it.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
34 here...

damn dude you only take highway!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Guys, FREEWAY driving is the KEY!

When I picked up my Fit in Plano (DFW area, ~200 miles away from home) and drove it back, I filled it up and hit 200 miles on half a tank. Pure freeway driving, no stops, abot 75MPH the whole way. I calculated that was ~38mpg. A couple days after I got home, I found that ALL of the tires were BELOW 30PSI!

My normal driving now is about 80% highway with a few stops, and 20% city (downtown, 30mph speed limit, stop lights every block) and I'm averaging 33ish. Not bad in my book.

My scangauge will be in tomorrow, so I'll be able to monitor more information.

I would also advise AGAINST 'topping off' the tank. I may not be 100% correct, but I think you can damage the tank's evaporation system (captures evaporated gas in the tank and circulates it to the intake). Plus, you'll probably never get a consistent 'fillup'.

If you don't choose to heed that, then DO THE SAME THING every time you fill up. Try to get gas at the same store, even the same pump if possible. REPEATABILITY is the key to testing and accurate measurement.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes to repeatability. BTW, if you are topping off and filling up your gas tank even after it clicks, you can't calculate your mpg based on the 10.8 gallon tank. I believe most measurements are based on the first click-off of the gas hose, and not continually pumping it til the neck is full.

At any rate, if you can get your gas to the same level every time, it shouldn't matter too much.

Just an FYI of my gas consumption since buying my Fit (Sport AT) almost 2 weeks ago:
99.7 mi/3.79 gal = 26.3 mpg (initial driving and playing around with the paddle shifters)
163.9 mi/4.26 gal = 38.5 mpg
223 mi/5 gal = 44.6 mpg
286.9 mi/7.35 gal = 39 mpg

Total to date: 37.92 mpg (40.57 mpg excluding my very first fillup)

My friends are continually amazed that I've gotten such great gas mileage on the road, and with some of them looking for new cars, I may have some new converts.

EDIT: Yes to freeway driving. But, it's not to say that you can't apply better driving habits to city driving as well. I see plenty of Yarises, Versas and other Fits on the road zooming by me, and I can't help but ask why they buy a more fuel-efficient car only to counterbalance their added economy with their horrendous driving. If you're in the city coming to a light, why not coast? Why not leverage timed lights and go the recommended speed and continue driving for a number of blocks before you stop, instead of zooming up to the intersection, stopping, and starting up again. While city driving is going to kill your fuel economy, city driving habits will do the same.

Last edited by rusty; 05-14-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Note about freeway vs. city driving
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
nice mileage... i'm going to be driving back to San Antonio 4 june and will be seeing how mpg works out on my road trip. 400 miles from here ( Wichita Falls ) to San Antonio...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rjm161
I was doing this for a time as well, but a few people mentioned the potential damage to the charcoal canister or whatever, so I figured it wasn't worth risking damage.
YEP Sound advise

Honda says it's bad news and my racing bud, that works on them day in and out, verified that detail.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sloto200
nice mileage... i'm going to be driving back to San Antonio 4 june and will be seeing how mpg works out on my road trip. 400 miles from here ( Wichita Falls ) to San Antonio...
IH35 seems to be conductive to good economy. When I had my Insight, I got my best trip economy EVER going from Austin to Fort Worth and back. (72mpg) To compare, I drove from Austin to L.A. and back and got 68mpg.

I bet with no major traffic issues, you should make the whole trip on one tank.

Quick Reply: 439.4 miles on one tank