General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Costco is now Mobil gas, seen one of theirs fuel carriers delivering. Mobil is one of the biggest suppliers under the Generic name. Shell, Bp would not sell there gas unless there name was on it. I found this The Milwaukee Sentinel - Google News Archive Search. Its a ad for Amoco thats 33 years old. Keep in mind compression ratios were low and still had 89 octane leaded. Amoco sold unleaded gas for over 95 years and I think they know something about it. Amoco was the first to use ethanol in there regular and alot of people hated that. But there premium is different and ethanol would fall out if it was used because of the aromatics. I believe they use more alykates now to raise the octane instead of aromatics.

Additives are more than detergents, it also toluene, alcohols, ethers, motor alyklates, any single ingredient to get the fuel into spec.

BTW If you see a ultimate,Vpower truck they are only dropping their premium gas at Bp,Shell. They use other carriers for the regular/mid grade.

I just found this Amoco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fuels | Amoco UltimateŽ with Invigorate

I think it depends on local Costco, the one near my house gets their fuel from the same supplier as Valero/Arco/BP. Funny enough the same truck is also seen at teh 76 near my house as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
I think it depends on local Costco, the one near my house gets their fuel from the same supplier as Valero/Arco/BP. Funny enough the same truck is also seen at teh 76 near my house as well.
Your probably right but I dont see Costco paying for the good gas at the prices they sell it. The last few tankers I've seen at Costco, I've seen at Speedway which is Marathon which advertises STP additives. My point is discount gas is not the same as branded gas and even some branded gas sell cheaper fuels. I finally found the station I will be going to from now on. I got 38 last tank and my imid reads 43 and with the major snow storm on its way I will lose some of that.

All gas terminals sell gas that they cant sell in their brand and even with additives its not the branded quality. Quality of additives and brands do make a difference and its up to you to find what works best. In my case BP premium and I know a lot of people that stopped using Costco gas and is happy with the branded gas they found.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Out of all of the automotive forums I watch, this is the only one where people have fallen for the marketing hype and consistently quote vague marketing sites and slogans with generic terms and no true data.

Additive is a generic word.
What is/are the specific additive(s) you want?
What quantity of each additive you want?
Why do I want each of those additives put in my fuel?
Is 5 times each proposed additive even better than the originally proposed quantity?

As an example if I said I wanted to add certain amount of c6h12o6 added to my fuel. Would that be beneficial? That molecule is 6 parts carbon with 12 parts hydrogen and 6 parts oxygen. Now if I advertized that my fuel had 5 times more c6h12o6 than the guy down the street would you buy it and quote it here as being better?

So answer the above questions on this particular additive and decide for yourself. If you want it in your fuel, how much do you want and is 5 times the proposed quantity even better?

I suggest that until you can discuss in detail what specific additives you want and why you want them, you are simply promoting the old Chevrolet vs. Ford, or Michelob vs. Budweiser arguments. You are welcome to your opinions but only when you back them up with details will others be persuaded to move your side.

Last edited by n9cv; 03-05-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by knowspicker
fuck you, douche bag
I endorse this message.

n9cv Either you cannot read.. or choose not to. I actually tune these cars and others that are much more sensitive.. I can tell you that from data logs from around the country on multiple loggers/tuning solutions.. you are absolutely full of shit.

Take your sweeping generalities and shove them.

Call me when you have any end user experience with ECU Telemetry.

I can see the difference when someone switches plugs, and even plug gaps on the same plug.. don't pretend I can't see the difference in something as major as fuel.

When the seasons change and I can get repeatable differences in the tune up between a BP and a Shell that are a mile apart on the same street it blows a big hole in your BS.

If I can get away with more timing and more boost without touching the fuel table (which means running marginally leaner due to the added airflow) over the course of a season just by going to one station vs the other, and seeing the exact amount of Knock Retard that I added in advance at the "problem" station its pretty obvious.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-04-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
Out of all of the automotive forums I watch, this is the only one where people have fallen for the marketing hype and consistently quote vague marketing sites and slogans with generic terms and no true data.

Additive is a generic word.
What is/are the specific additive(s) you want?
What quantity of each additive you want?
Why do I want each of those additives put in your fuel?
Is 5 times each proposed additive even better than the proposed quantity?

As an example if I said I wanted to add certain amount of c6h12o6 added to my fuel. Would that beneficial? That molecule is 6 parts carbon with 12 parts hydrogen and 6 parts oxygen. Now if I advertized that my fuel had 5 times the c6h12o6 than the guy down the street would you buy it and quote it here as being better?

So answer the above questions on this particular additive and decide for yourself. If you want it in your fuel, How much do you and want and is 5 times the proposed quantity even better?

I suggest that until you can discuss in detail what specific additives you want and why, you are simply promoting the old Chevrolet vs. Ford, or Michelob vs. Budweiser arguments. You are welcome to your opinions but only when you back them up with details will others be persuaded to move your side.
A additive is anything added to base fuel and not necessary detergents. Here is one example of what one refiner adds to fuel. https://www.oronite.com/products/gas-additives.asp There is at least 4 different additive packages from one refiner.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I endorse this message.

I actually tune these cars and others that are much more sensitive.. I can tell you that from data logs I view from around the country on multiple loggers/tuning solutions.. you are absolutely full of shit.

Take your sweeping generalities and shove them.

Call me when you have any end user experience with ECU Telemetry.

I can see the difference when someone switches plugs, and even plug gaps on the same plug..
I am getting awesome mileage from using the right gas in my new car. If you could PM me with more screen shots I would be interested in seeing them.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I am getting awesome mileage from using the right gas in my new car. If you could PM me with more screen shots I would be interested in seeing them.
I have a couple Fit tunes in progress, and their user's logs.. what sort of behaviour would you like to see?

Almost every Fit, mine included will throw a couple knock counts even on a cold day on premium under load.

On a couple occasions you can see it under light load/accel in higher gears just putting your toe in it to keep up with traffic.

Thats with the stock knock sensor parameters.. I can increase sensitivity in trouble spots and dull it in others.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
I have a couple Fit tunes in progress, and their user's logs.. what sort of behaviour would you like to see?

Almost every Fit, mine included will throw a couple knock counts even on a cold day on premium under load.

On a couple occasions you can see it under light load/accel in higher gears just putting your toe in it to keep up with traffic.

Thats with the stock knock sensor parameters.. I can increase sensitivity in trouble spots and dull it in others.
I am interested in knock, fuel enrichment and timing at different load points. The ultra gauge does not show fuel enrichment only excessive fuel being pulled out. Does the ecu enrich the fuel above 70 percent loads? I have a good understanding what happens due to dyno runs I did years ago and now I am just going on mpg. I am disappointed in some top tier stations I went to as my mpg dropped.

This new car is showing high fuel trims and high EGR but I think its part of the break in period. At lower rpms I am starting to see timing going up and lower fuel trims but under power it goes up again. My other car fuel trims were -3.1 in the winter and this car 10.8 most of the time.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 AM
should have a chance to put some together for you tomorrow

Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
should have a chance to put some together for you tomorrow
Thanks, when ever you get the chance. I will be fighting the snow storm tomorrow and don't know if I will make it home tomorrow.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
I've put Safeway and Costco gas in my Evo for years and never had a problem. I did fill up my tank with Arco once (desperate for gas) and it fucked up my car.

/coolstorybro

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
DSM<3

cant wait till i can have u help me with my tune waiting and waiting on flashpro

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Filled up with that Valero Supreme today.

Car did not idle like sh*t like it usually does on Valero 87.

Less throttle required to hold speed, easier to pass in 4th.

Placebo effect?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Placebo effect?
Yes.......

Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Yes.......

Well it didn't cost me any more money than I usually spend and I went into it with a lot of skepticism to reduce the effect.

I wish I had some sort of datalogging

Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
For some reason my 99 accord moves like a slug and unresponsive on MOBIL. Can't be the station where I got MOBIL from as I did tried 3 different stations with same result. I have never used MOBIL ever since. Is there truth in a car getting used to a specific gas? The accord was on SUNOCO 95% of the time. Yes, gas is gas but...
Mobil gas only works for certain makes of cars it doesn't work on all car makes. I think it usually used for the luxury cars like BMW.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Eh my fit runs best on Arco 87 for some odd reason it doesn't like any other gas. It idles like crap on any other gas.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM
My big thing on filling up is go to places that are always packed. Those places go through fuel quickly so they are always getting fresh fuel in.

And rule of thumb is to never fill up when the fuel tanker is there.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Unless you are in an area serviced directly from a refinery, You have no idea how long the refined product has been in storage and transport. Even at a refinery it could have been there for several months though on high volume product they try to turn it over more quickly than that. So the amount of time spent in a local station's tanks is insignificant in the overall time line from refinery output to final delivery to the consumer.

If you are in an area where fuel delivery is from a pipeline terminal it is even more confusing. Refined product pipeline delivery is done in batches. Companies reserve with a pipeline a time and amount of product that they want transported. This reservation is made months in advance. There are approximately 100 refined product designations that pipelines will accept reservations on. Many are no longer used / obsolete but what ever product a company wants moved must meet one of the pipeline specifications. Reservations are accepted for a time slot and quantity by pipeline product definition code, input location, and output location.

If the requested reservation is not large enough it will be combined with other requests from other companies or refineries of the same product codes and transported as one larger batch.

The average terminal has 6 to 12 tanks of various sizes depending on the markets they serve. A given pipeline can serve many terminals and refineries along the route where additional product of the same code can be added to or removed from the batch as it flows along it's way. Larger batches are more economical to transport because it reduces the amount of transmix that occurs as they switch between various product types. Most transmix has to be pulled off, stored, and reprocessed. Occasionally, such as a switch from 87 to a higher octane, transmix can simply be added to lower octane batch.

The point of all of this is there is a lot of possible delay and storage as a product moves to market. So in the overall time line a few days difference in a local station tanks really makes no difference. Most stations get fuel delivered once or twice a week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Costco gas the same quality as Shell/Chevron?