General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Towing small trailer w/ 2010 FIT

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Towing small trailer w/ 2010 FIT

I am thinking about it. Anyone done it yet? I need to move light things like a few bushels of vegetables, nothing real heavy.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rattlebonebrain
I am thinking about it. Anyone done it yet? I need to move light things like a few bushels of vegetables, nothing real heavy.

There are existing threads on this subject. You can search for them.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I want to do the same thing, I tried the search and its a PIA, I keep coming up with people that want to put bikes on a hitch! I really don't want to spend the day reading about bikes! No offense meant, some of my best friends are bikers.

When I was looking at a Fit I asked the salesman (big mistake) about towing a trailer. No problem said he, people do it all the time. When will I ever learn?

The manual clearly states that the Fit is not designed for towing and doing so MAY void your warranty. MAY, what kind of statement is that?? In warranty language MAY means absolutely 100% will void warranty!

Why did I not look it up?? JIm 0311

Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
The Fit manual stating no towing is more a liability disclaimer than anything. Think "Ford Explorer phobia" about towing. U-Haul will still not rent a trailer to be pulled by an Explorer. USA is too sue happy so this is the easiest way for Honda to claim no responsibility.

The exact same Fit that ships from Japan to other countries has a 1,000 lb rated towing capacity. In the end I think it would be very hard for Honda to deny a warranty claim once you presented the arbitrator with this evidence.

All four major trailer hitch manufacturers make a bolt on Fit hitch rated for 2,000 lbs. Keep your total traielr GVWR (trailer weight + cargo weight) well below 1,000 lbs and you won't have an issue.

_

Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Do it.

I purchased a Reese hitch for my 2009 Fit AT and have towed a few motorcycles and my dirtbikes all over the place. I'm using a small harbor freight trailer, and the bikes don't weigh more then 250lbs. So my total towing weight is around 400-500LBS. This is no different than a carload of people, or a really fat passenger. My highway mileage drops from 35-36 to around 30-32mpg while towing, but the Fit has no power issues while doing so.

I have towed up to probably about 1200lbs ONCE. It was a large refrigerator and a 6x10 heavy duty trailer. It was just in the city so I didn't go over 50mph. It towed fine, but I sure wouldn't do this on a regular basis, especially with an automatic.

If your rear shocks wear out, and you take it into the dealer and say 'Replace them under warranty.' If they see your hitch, denied for sure.

Technically, they have to prove that the modification you made directly resulted in the failure of said part. So if your TPS sensor goes out, you should be fine.

That will end up being up to the discretion of the dealer though. If your dealer is a PITA like mine is, and you're not willing to remove the hitch when you take it in for service, you may not want to do it.

I don't have any pictures of the full setup, but here's the trailer, my project, and the back of my Fit.

Name:  2011-03-12171921.jpg
Views: 4377
Size:  281.9 KB

Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I just need to haul a small light trailer a couple miles on occasion. I am not concerned about replacing rear shocks. I am concerned about the transmission. I will buy a cheap bike rack and if I do have an issue will attach it before I get towed to the dealership.

I am really upset with myself for asking the salesman and not doing my own research and checking. The no towing would have been a deal breaker for me!!
JIm 0311

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Poking on the web a bit

Answers.com - What is the Honda fit towing capacity

Answer is for UK!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
My 2008 Fit (standard manual) tows my homemade sailboat just fine. The boat and trailer weigh about 1000 lbs and I do not have trailer brakes. That is about the maximum the Honda Jazz is rated for without trailer brakes and seems pretty reasonable to me. Personally, I'd feel comfortable towing up 2000 lbs, IF the trailer had brakes.

The trick is to properly balance your trailer rig: keep the tongue weight down to around 5% like they do in Europe, not the 10 to 20%+ sometimes recommended in the US. Also, be safe. Drive slow and don't tailgate. Maintain your trailer bearings and tires. (All typical towing advice, regardless of size of towing vehicle).

The fit powers up and down a standard boat ramp just fine.

I imagine you MIGHT go through a clutch a little faster when towing, so try not to ride the clutch too much when accelerating from stop.

I thought I should litter this forum with pics of my fit towing ... since I couldn't find many on the web. I especially like the pic of my fit parked next to all the large pickup trucks at the boat ramp. Some of them were towing small aluminum fishing boats lighter than my boat.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wow! love the red fit pulling the boat

Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Geary
The trick is to properly balance your trailer rig: keep the tongue weight down to around 5% like they do in Europe, not the 10 to 20%+ sometimes recommended in the US. Also, be safe. Drive slow and don't tailgate. Maintain your trailer bearings and tires. (All typical towing advice, regardless of size of towing vehicle).

Kudos to you! I tow a 4x6 custom utility trailer - been doing it with various not rated for towing cars for 15yrs.

You've hit the set-up nail on the head and I've always wanted to see a FIT launching a boat - thanks.

K_C_

Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Gotta love that! These things are so useful!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Here's my 2010 Sport MT recently getting loaded at IKEA-Boston w/ about 350# of wall shelving units to be driven 275miles to Old Town Maine.

Trailer is a 4x6 I've been using for 15yrs on various small and large cars, finally hooked it up to my FIT.

Had no issues hauling, though you need to be careful in traffic.
The extra engine load notably effects response and drivers are not expecting such a small car to be hauling a trailer.

I kept in the 65-70mph range and with a well balanced load all was good.
The overall short wheel base is a bit of a concern in handling, but avoiding quick movements quite manageable.
Typical concern when hauling in the sub-compact class.

Due to the configuration a good hitch is required. I decided on a Curt 3point hitch and am happy for that.
Road conditions can/will put a lot of stress on the hitch as the loaded trailer bounces along.
What I like about the Curt is they sell the euro type ball mount and it provides the correct ball height for a 4.8x12 trailer tire and the 3 point set up provides solid mounting to the Fit.

At loaded highway speeds I think this is important, you're not carrying a bicycle, but hauling bouncing poundage.

I originally had the frame built for me and designed and built the box myself.

It has a drop down tailgate and a Canastota type cover that lashes over normal loads keeping it weather tight.

It's primary use has been camping, load it up and go anywhere, but it has turned out to be mighty handy otherwise.

K_C_

Edit: w/ 3pass and loaded trailer MPG was -3-4 down from average.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 10-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 PM
towing

A little off topic and a lot late, but you did a great DIY job of building that boat !!! Lee

Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
How heavy is that boat setup?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
People grossly underestimate the Fit's towing capacity... I tow all the time, '09 MT w/ 68k miles. Stock clutch still going strong.

Here's a 1-ton wood chipper:
Name:  41SOgzx.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  185.0 KB

And a load of furniture:
Name:  oYkaIrk.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  172.7 KB

I've also towed a 16' camper trailer (roughly 1500lbs, but the aerodynamics of a 8'x7'x16' brick), dirt bikes, motorcycles, or trash on the same trailer the furniture load is on, and a pop-up.

Keep the tongue weight low. You need to balance the trailer so that you can lift the tongue on and off manually. The only tow I did where it was heavier than that was the woodchipper, and braking was a bit squirrelly -- I had to keep it under 55mph.

Use common sense too, I left epic amounts of room to brake, and gear braked down hills. I monitor all temps and RPM with an ultragauge, they all stay within normal parameters.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Ok this is weird. After the new post today in this thread I was back reading a little. The post below shows a motorcycle that I purchased 14 months after that post. Didn't know AttoirRE then, responding from a For Sale ad on a motorcycle forum and he lives 300 miles away from me. Didn't even know he had a Fit at the time either. I drove up with my Fit and trailer (Harbor Freight also) and picked up that bike in his photo and two others. Here is a photo on my return trip home. Small world and I guess Texas ain't so big afterall.

Name:  Temp009.jpg
Views: 4240
Size:  83.0 KB

Originally Posted by AttoirRE
I purchased a Reese hitch for my 2009 Fit AT and have towed a few motorcycles and my dirtbikes all over the place. I'm using a small harbor freight trailer, and the bikes don't weigh more then 250lbs. So my total towing weight is around 400-500LBS. This is no different than a carload of people, or a really fat passenger. My highway mileage drops from 35-36 to around 30-32mpg while towing, but the Fit has no power issues while doing so.

I have towed up to probably about 1200lbs ONCE. It was a large refrigerator and a 6x10 heavy duty trailer. It was just in the city so I didn't go over 50mph. It towed fine, but I sure wouldn't do this on a regular basis, especially with an automatic.

If your rear shocks wear out, and you take it into the dealer and say 'Replace them under warranty.' If they see your hitch, denied for sure.

Technically, they have to prove that the modification you made directly resulted in the failure of said part. So if your TPS sensor goes out, you should be fine.

That will end up being up to the discretion of the dealer though. If your dealer is a PITA like mine is, and you're not willing to remove the hitch when you take it in for service, you may not want to do it.

I don't have any pictures of the full setup, but here's the trailer, my project, and the back of my Fit.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM
My trailer's a Harbor Freight too, guess great minds think alike.

It's a bit more modified than you two's though -- 2x4 pt decking, toolbox, tongue extension. I have the nonfolding model.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
You guys are awesome. I also have a 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer that I've used to tow loads of lumber, furniture, etc. I've probably only gotten it up to around 800lbs or so total loaded trailer weight, but I hardly even knew it was back there towing with my 2012 Sport A/T. Also, I've never gotten below 30 MPG with any of the loads I've towed.

-Dustin

Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I saw this yesterday but they drove off before I could ask any questions
Name:  Haulingboat.jpg
Views: 4343
Size:  117.9 KB

Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Nice... same here. 1700lb rated HF 4x8 folding trailer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing small trailer w/ 2010 FIT