General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When you stop for gas, do you top it off, or do stop when the fuel nozzle clicks off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
I did an experiment recently. Just to know. Not to make a habit of this, not suggesting you do the same, but now I know and I can share with you.

I ran my car dry on the side of the road. I had a 2 gallon gas can on board waiting. (filled with exactly 2.000 gallons) I then drove to the nearest gas station and filled it to the brim.

The manual states there are 1.64 gallons left when the light comes on. It actually has 1.8, but the manual is close. The gas needle stops moving once it's at the bottom of the E mark, so you can't judge anything by that.

It holds 1.8 gallons past the first click at the pump.

Total capacity, from running on fumes to fuel sitting in the filler neck, is 12.9 gallons.

The other day I forgot my wallet before heading to work, then I left late the next morning so I had no time for gas. I filled up after my AM meetings after driving with the light on for two days and put in just over 11 gallons. I am surprised to find out how much more fuel I had left!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Ive never gotten over a gallon from the click off to the full-to-the-brim mark

Is it really hot in Longview still? hotter gas means less dense, which means "more" capacity.

I think I might try this myself, its cooler here up north, 80s

Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I have come up with a very unscientific but reliable method of driving well into the "reserve" without ever running out of gas.

I multiply whatever my on-board MPG gauge says I am averaging by 10, and try to fill up before that runs out.

Usually towards the end of the tank my gauge is telling me around 34, but my light comes on a little over 300. I fill up by 340 miles. I find this easier than trying to remember what mile my light came on at and adding based off that.

My on-board MPG gauge is also VERY accurate, my pump calculated MPG is always less than 1mpg lower than the gauge, usually more like 0.5mpg off.

YMMV.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
I stop pumping when the pump's fuel nozzle click off. There's plenty of time NEXT time to send those robber barons more of my money.

"Yes, yes... please top it off! I'm gold plating my private
jet this week, and I could use the extra cash."

Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
I am on my 7th Honda ('91 through '15) and never had a problem with stopping fueling the car at 2nd or maybe 3rd click. I can understand why the warning of overflow if the nozzle didn't stop correctly on the 2nd click. Seems no matter how many times I've clicked it never overflowed unless I top it off using a gas can. I don't make a habit of trying more than 3 clicks. Usually 2nd click after waiting 30 seconds is the norm for me. I am able to get average 10 gals each time. Highest was 10.9.

Also the worry of overflow after topping it off at 2nd click never really made sense because you're going to drive a few miles before parking so any "excess" fuel is going to be consumed anyway unless you're going to peel out of the gas station and then a hard turn? This isn't a racetrack so probably unlikely.

Am I wrong?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.
--EPA

Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by morgantruce
Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.
--EPA
That makes alot of sense. Wow, guess I won't be doing the 2nd clicks anymore. Money wasted.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
One of the older cars I used to own had a loosely put together line leading down to the fuel tank. It rather resembled the connections on your home's downspout system: everything poured into it went where it was supposed to go, BUT if things got backed up and the pipe filled up, it would leak from one of several locations. Modern cars have a very tight system which does not even leak air; on many vehicles, the engine will not run right if the fuel cap is left off or ajar.

It's been a few years since I noticed anyone driving around with a rag stuffed into their fuel filler --- a practice which always reminded me of one of these:

Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
My low fuel light came on, then I drove about 1.5 miles to the gas station. I bought $29.43 worth of 87 octane gasoline at $3.25 per gallon. The nozzle stopped after filling 9.05 galls of gas.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by morgantruce
One of the older cars I used to own had a loosely put together line leading down to the fuel tank. It rather resembled the connections on your home's downspout system: everything poured into it went where it was supposed to go, BUT if things got backed up and the pipe filled up, it would leak from one of several locations. Modern cars have a very tight system which does not even leak air; on many vehicles, the engine will not run right if the fuel cap is left off or ajar.
Modern Ford "capless" fillers do the same. If you try to top it off, fuel goes on the ground.