General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When you stop for gas, do you top it off, or do stop when the fuel nozzle clicks off?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
When you stop for gas, do you top it off, or do stop when the fuel nozzle clicks off?

This morning, I filled my new (to me) 2010 Honda Fit Sport for the first time. The low fuel light hadn't come on yet before I filled it (it was at about 1/8 tank). After the fill nozzle automatically clicked off indicating it was full, I slowly squeezed the nozzle 6-7 more times to get part of another gallon's worth in the tank. When I stopped trying to fill it, the gas pump indicated 10.19 gallons...from what I recall from the manual, the Fit has a 10.6 gallon tank. So here are my questions....

(1) When the low fuel light does come on, in your experience, approximately how much fuel is left in the tank?

(2) I'm assuming that by topping it off after the fill nozzle clicks off, I am probably exceeding the 10.6 gallon rating of the gas tank...does anyone know if this is true?

BTW, the app, Gas Cubby (it's free) is a nice app to have as you can enter your fill-up information and track your fuel efficiency.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
That's cuz you weren't bone dry. Never top it off.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by BlackPearlFIT
That's cuz you weren't bone dry.
It goes without saying that the tank wasn't bone dry. I'm just curious if anyone knows where the sensor is set (how much remaining fuel) to activate the low fuel light, that's all.

Originally Posted by BlackPearlFIT
Never top it off.
Beyond telling me not to, why not? It's nice to know why it's technically not a good thing to do.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
per the factory -

The filler nozzle automatically stops to leave space in
the fuel tank so that fuel does not overflow as a result
of changes in air temperature.

Do not continue to add fuel after the nozzle has
automatically stopped. Additional fuel can exceed
the full tank capacity.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Good question because this topic always sparks lively opinions. This topic hasn't been discussed in at least a month. My predictions of what you'll see: stop at the first click. Stop at the second click. The gas tank is under the front seat and the filler in the back. So the connecting hose holds another half gallon or so. Don't over fill because you will damage the evaporative canister. Fill till you can't get any more in, then give the car a few shakes so the fuel settles, then pour more in, then repeat until it runs down the side. My suggestion; Stop at the first or second click. In any case, be consistent if you are collecting numbers for mpg calculations over several fill ups for MPG calculations. (But that's another lively topic for another day) :-)

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by mrnoyb
per the factory -

The filler nozzle automatically stops to leave space in
the fuel tank so that fuel does not overflow as a result
of changes in air temperature.

Do not continue to add fuel after the nozzle has
automatically stopped. Additional fuel can exceed
the full tank capacity.
Good to know. Thanks!!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
i put 10.5 most of the time with mad clicks lol

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Rampo
This topic hasn't been discussed in at least a month.

Oh fitfreak.net you slay me sometimes.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by 5arnolds
It goes without saying that the tank wasn't bone dry. I'm just curious if anyone knows where the sensor is set (how much remaining fuel) to activate the low fuel light, that's all.
The remaining fuel when the idiot light comes on is listed in the owner's manual. For my 2012 model, it's listed as approximately 1.64 gallons, but you'd better look it up for yourself in case it's been changed from year to year. (Approximately, to the nearest hundredth of a gallon; I guess it may vary by a few tablespoons )

Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
All it took was for me to spill gas on my car once. I never go more than one click now when filling up, just not worth the risk IMO. Safety First

Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
I fill to the click, wait about 20 seconds, and let it click again.
Old diesel habit tbh - diesel foams up and then 'settles' so if you wait you can get more into your car. Obviously doesn't matter with my non-diesel fit but old habits die hard

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
I'd stop on the second click...so not to over fill and spill.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 AM
I fill to the brim if Im on a long drive. That extra gallon almost, can account for another hour of driving almost.

I believe its 11 gallons from a completely dry tank and system to filling to the brim.

tank itself might be 10.16, but that is not including pickup tube, fuel rail, fuel line, etc...

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Why all this discussion? Why run a tank almost empty then try to cram as much as possible into it? Makes no sense. Fill it whine you get down to around 1/4 tank. Then stop at either first or second click. Doing this at most maybe just maybe you would have to fill up one extra time over the course of a year. Geeez.

Off the soap box now.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM
For a lot of us that would be an extra fill-up a month, not a year.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
For a lot of us that would be an extra fill-up a month, not a year.

Well for some maybe but not a lot. Semitics eh.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM
who is honestly taking the time out of their day to get irritated about OTHER peoples filling habits? its a discussion, not a decision of what to do

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Why all this discussion? Why run a tank almost empty then try to cram as much as possible into it? Makes no sense. Fill it whine you get down to around 1/4 tank. Then stop at either first or second click. Doing this at most maybe just maybe you would have to fill up one extra time over the course of a year. Geeez.

Off the soap box now.
+1 agree completely.

get a hybrid or electric car if you're just going for milage.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 AM
One gentle public service reminder: make sure to pay attention to the pump while pumping, too, as the shutoff clickers are not completely infallible. I encountered one that didn't shut off a month or two ago, and had a little overflow. Had I been using a hold-up device and been a little oblivious, I would probably have pumped a lot of overflow....

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I did an experiment recently. Just to know. Not to make a habit of this, not suggesting you do the same, but now I know and I can share with you.

I ran my car dry on the side of the road. I had a 2 gallon gas can on board waiting. (filled with exactly 2.000 gallons) I then drove to the nearest gas station and filled it to the brim.

The manual states there are 1.64 gallons left when the light comes on. It actually has 1.8, but the manual is close. The gas needle stops moving once it's at the bottom of the E mark, so you can't judge anything by that.

It holds 1.8 gallons past the first click at the pump.

Total capacity, from running on fumes to fuel sitting in the filler neck, is 12.9 gallons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When you stop for gas, do you top it off, or do stop when the fuel nozzle clicks off?