Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ask your Detailing Questions here:

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
I'd look into rinseless wash. I had access to a decent garage at my friends place last year and used optimum and hot water. I had minimal water on the ground and dried each panel at a time.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Blackfire crystal seal

I did some research, since I want my Mystic Yellow 2015 Fit to stay pretty for the long haul. Got it last week. Washed it with MacGuiars car wash and microfiber wash mitt cause it rained and got kinda grubby. . Bought some detailing clay, clay lube and application microfiber pads. Plan to wash it, clay it, light wash to remove any clay, add my silly SpongeBob decals, and apply the Blackfire Crystal Seal all over to protect from UV and shine. Stuff gets great reviews. I'm too old to polish with wax. Would get crunchy.

Sound like a plan? I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coyotesweat
I did some research, since I want my Mystic Yellow 2015 Fit to stay pretty for the long haul. Got it last week. Washed it with MacGuiars car wash and microfiber wash mitt cause it rained and got kinda grubby. . Bought some detailing clay, clay lube and application microfiber pads. Plan to wash it, clay it, light wash to remove any clay, add my silly SpongeBob decals, and apply the Blackfire Crystal Seal all over to protect from UV and shine. Stuff gets great reviews. I'm too old to polish with wax. Would get crunchy.

Sound like a plan? I'll let you know how it goes.
You don't need to wash after clay. Simply wipe off the clay lube with microfibre as you go. Crystal Seal is a sealant so in a way, it plays the role of a wax. I would use isopropyl alcohol to prepare the surface for the decals.

Good luck

Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
You don't need to wash after clay. Simply wipe off the clay lube with microfibre as you go. Crystal Seal is a sealant so in a way, it plays the role of a wax. I would use isopropyl alcohol to prepare the surface for the decals.

Good luck
Thanks! I'm gonna practice on the old Spectra 5, which is filthy. Gonna try to make it prettier for hubby. Think I have to go get some bug remover for that one first. Tons of gunk stuck to paint. Any recommendations?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 PM
The old beat up spectra looks reasonably fabulous after wash, clay and Blackfure seal. Boy that stuff even makes 8 yr old pitted, scratched and neglected paint look good. Ready to do the Fit.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
The old beat up spectra looks reasonably fabulous after wash, clay and Blackfure seal. Boy that stuff even makes 8 yr old pitted, scratched and neglected paint look good. Ready to do the Fit.
Yea, claybar is great for removing bugs and stuck on crud. For best results, especially if you need to get rid of swirls, I recommend looking into a buffing machine like the Porter Cable 7424Xp.

If you clay often (like me!) I strongly recommend you check out the nanoskin autoscrub sponge. It is a little sponge that replaces traditional claybar. It doesn't get filled with crud like a claybar, lasts Waaay longer and is so much faster, I love it. It's available on amazon for under 20$.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks! Will check it out. Did the Fit yesterday after hubby got home with it. I lilove that Blackfire Cyrstal Seal! Car is now exceptionally shiny. Water beads up on it now. Will post pics in the 3rd gen fit forum before I go to work. News getting dark when I finished. Look for SpongeBob SquareCar. Washed, clayed, cleaned window with alcohol, added decals, then seal over whole car to protect stickers too. Hoping it will help keep them from fading. Here's one for I took last night.

Name:  8376C463-FD29-410F-A8D4-23E51198992E_zpslzlsujpv.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  80.7 KB

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Hey, I was thinking of getting either CQuartz Finest or Opti-Coat Pro done on my incoming Fit. Would you say it's worth the $600-700?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
I've used both products, with extremely similar and satisfying results. The only hesitancy that I reserve for these products specifically is that do your research and take your time and concentrate on perfect technique. I'm not sure why you're quoting $600-700, unless are you planning to have it done?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by jdmj0
I've used both products, with extremely similar and satisfying results. The only hesitancy that I reserve for these products specifically is that do your research and take your time and concentrate on perfect technique. I'm not sure why you're quoting $600-700, unless are you planning to have it done?
The Blackfire Crystal seal was $29 from Amazon and really easy to apply,,,

Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
600-700 sounds about right for cquarts for a good shop. A little high for opti

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
The Blackfire Crystal seal was $29 from Amazon and really easy to apply,,,
The two sealants aren't even in the same league. BF (and other sealants from the PB line-up) is a temporary sealant, roughly 6-month lasting. Opti/CQuartz aim for 2year - permanent protection.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 AM
When is the best time to detail a new Fit?

I just got a new 2015 Fit EX-CVT in Aegean Blue. I am wondering if I should get it detailed while it's still new (less than 1 month old) to protect it or wait 6 months. I want to protect it, but was not sure if I'm jumping the gun. What would you recommend to keep my car in good shape? I would have someone else do it professionally because I'm not good at that type of thing. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Get it done now, with one of the 'permanent' seals put on to give it long term protection.

Quality work with paint correction and sealant could easily be between $500 and $1000.

Don't go to a dealership detailer or anything like that. Your car will be worse off than it is now.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone measure the gk paint yet? Paint is scary thing now, I heard the new wrx's are at like 2 mils

Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Get it done now, with one of the 'permanent' seals put on to give it long term protection.

Quality work with paint correction and sealant could easily be between $500 and $1000.

Don't go to a dealership detailer or anything like that. Your car will be worse off than it is now.
I just got a '15 Fit and I'm interested in using one of these long term sealants, but what should I do for the headlights and the trim pieces like the grill??

Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to try out 303 on my black plastic, not sure about headlights. I've always just coated them with whatever I use on the paint. Never touch them with polish or anything like that though.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Question Floor Mat Logo

I am seeking advice on how to clean the Fit logo in the floor mats. The passenger side still looks relatively new, but the driver's side continues to attract dirt and grime like a magnet. Any advice on how to clean it without damaging the intricate stitching? I thought about scrubbing it but I am deathly afraid it will cause the threads to fray. Watching it turn from the nice silver tone to a dirty smog color is hurting my fee-fees.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
What do you recommend to remove light scratches that are not too deep?

What kind if compound would you use to remove the scratch? Then you would polish and once done wax. But what brand/product would you recommend for the scratch remover compound?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Pics of scratch?

Quick Reply: Ask your Detailing Questions here: