Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

What is the first thing I should do for my new baby?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 AM
What is the first thing I should do for my new baby?

Hi all!

So excited to be here! Assuming all goes as planned, I should be in possession of my (new to me) 2012 Blue Raspberry beauty tomorrow.

I went into this with my heart set on Orangeburst Metallic, but circumstances dictate I need to seal the deal this weekend, and the OBM car I looked at today looked awful (horrible paint scratches, some really deep on just about every surface of the car).

The BRM has a few minor flaws but they really pale in comparison. But point is, it's a beauty and I want to keep it that way.

I've been doing alot of reading about the "clear bra" films and I was thinking I wanted to try that, but I have a few obstacles - really no place to do it (no garage), don't want to order it until I own the car (so won't have it right away), getting quotes for a pro install takes alot of time, etc.

So I was thinking I'd just give it a good wash and wax to start, but unless I'm wrong I can't install the clear bra over wax, can I? So I'd need to wait for the wax to wear off before I even attempted that? Or would it be better to just wait for the clear bra film to come in and do that first?

Thanks for any thoughts. Just definitely want to do *something* to protect the exterior within a few weeks of ownership, before I even think about any interior mods...

Last edited by bunnywafer; 09-06-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 PM
wash it
clay it
wash it again
then wax it

before you can apply the clear bra yes i would remove the wax on the areas your planning on protecting. mainly due to bonding issues.
To remove the wax you can just clay the areas you want stripped

Old 09-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, not sure how much chips the car has already, but if it's prestine i recommend you get the clearbra installed. i use 3M on my '12, but next time going to do the Xpel Ultimate as it has selfhealing properties. i run the ultimate on my hobby car and it truely does self-heal.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard great things about xpel I am planning for that on my new car. I already have a few rock chips