Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY engine tune after spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
DIY engine tune after spark plug replacement

Hi. I like to replace the spark plugs myself.

Does anyone know of any procedure (if any required) to tune the engine after replacing the plugs? The workshop guy I spoke to suggests that tuning is required but I am unsure what is needed, or even if it is needed at all.

Additionally, are there any DIY guide on valve clearance adjustment? On the maintenance schedule, that is recommended every 40k km but what is involved?

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Try looking up the procedure for changing the plugs in the manual online. Unless you have an aftermarket tunable ECU there is no tuning available on a stock Jazz/fit your mechanic is incorrect find a new one. In the same online manual there is also the procedure for setting the valve lash. Put this into your favorites file http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm And yes it's for a 1.4 but you can still use the information on your car.
Yes, I've got the procedure to change the plugs, which is not a problem. Just that the 4 plugs towards the back of the engine is a pain to change due to limited headroom in the engine bay. The changing procedure is in the user manual as well.

No, I do not have any modification to ECU, or aftermarket parts. Hence, are you suggesting that just change the plugs and leave things alone, as there's nothing else to tune, on a stock Jazz?

I shall check into setting the valve thingy on the online manual, thanks alot.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I changed the spark plugs - and it took quite a while, due to restrictive working area in engine bay and there are 8 plugs for the 1.4L iDSI engine. Nevertheless, all worked well, there were no perceivable problems, and no tuning required. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by claymore
Try looking up the procedure for changing the plugs in the manual online. Unless you have an aftermarket tunable ECU there is no tuning available on a stock Jazz/fit your mechanic is incorrect find a new one. In the same online manual there is also the procedure for setting the valve lash. Put this into your favorites file http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm And yes it's for a 1.4 but you can still use the information on your car.
Good advice re: "find a new mechanic"!