Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My $2.99 bra

Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 AM
May 2007 Fit of the Month Winner.
My $2.99 bra

I had a 8 hour drive ahead of me and knew the bugs and stones would be out to get me. I had to stop a Wal-Mart for some M & M's and then headed to the Glad Wrap aisle and found just what I was looking for...Glad Press-n-Seal wrap.

I went out to the parking lot and applied a strip on the hood and front bumper. Not the prettiest sight, but when I got to my destination I peeled off the Press-N-Seal and presto, my front end was as clean as after I washed it.

I reapplied the wrap on the way home and all is well. The stuff sticks great and if you take a bit of care to smooth out the bubbles it really does not look too bad.

Maybe some day I will get a real bra for long trips...but until then I will keep the roll of Press-N-Seal under the back seat.

I wonder how pallet wrap would work? It's clear, but not sure how it would stick. The sticky film my contractor used on my carpet to protect it from the construction debris would probably work also but may stick too good....I will try a few other materials and report back.

GLAD Press'n Seal® Wrap

(...and no...I don't work for for them)

I am also going to see if it will stick to the back of the front seats as my kids keep putting their dirty shoes against the seats.

Paul

Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
pics???????????

Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Cool idea! my front end gets coated with bugs on trips... would be nice to be able to peel them off instead of spending huge amounts of time trying to get the ones that baked on in the sun off!

I am going to try that on the next highway trip! Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM
It was late when I got home and I yanked off the wrap before I got photos.

I will reapply a section and send in a photo over the weekend.

Kind of looks like the stuff the factory puts on but with more of a white tint to it.

Paul

Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
great idea mayn. Next time i go on a road trip i'll be sure to buy some

Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
This is brilliant. I'm having a bitch of a time as of late w/ scratches in the bumper and hood. I'm desperate.

Also - pmabke, you're in Michigan? Are we the only ones? What have you done to your Fit since you purchased it?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I think I spent a longass time trying to rub off the bugs off of my bumper. this is one heck of an idea. I gotta try this. Nice find!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
When love bug season was here in FL I used masking tap.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I just wash and wax my car every sunday. And the bugs come right off with ease. I think a thick coat of wax is what is needed.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, before I had kids, my personal record was three hand car washes in one week. Now I am lucky if I get the french fries off the floor from last month....

Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have daydreams of tying pillows to my bumpers when I park in SF...

Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Frisco stereotype

Originally Posted by xorbe
I have daydreams of tying pillows to my bumpers when I park in SF...
But in SF, wouldn't some guy dressed as a nun be about half likely to be asleep against the pillows when you came back to the car? Or worse?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
pledge

great remover and sealer.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
That's BALLIN!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
great idea.. I've seen the painters tape used a lot, but that seems much harder than the simple GLAD press n seal. NICE! thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:10 AM
I have seen several Fits in my neck of the woods but can't say I have found anyone on the Forums from MI. I have not done too much to my car as funds have to go to other projects right now. I did get the dead pedal and the JDM coin holder (don't use it as the coins rattle too much) and some floor mats from Target. I also used a roll of 3M double-sided tape to mount various things inside the car (garage door opener, light inside the glove box, mirror to the passenger visor). I also put a Fit Freak .net sticker on the rear (centered on the aero molding under the bumper). I really thought I wanted to do all kinds of mods but after putting on 3K miles I really like her just about stock. She's quiet, gets good mileage and has a decent amount of room inside. I really love the color as it hides the dirt very well. Don't get to wash her a often as I'd like. Let me know if you get to the Detroit area.

Paul

Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
So I tried using the press n seal stuff, but it turned out to be a lot more of a mess. After I pealed off the stuff it left a residue behind. I tried scrubbing it off using everything I had. Eventually using gasoline worked. Hopefully that didn't mess up the paint. Did anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I didn't experience any residue problem. I removed the wrap within 24 hours of applying and it came off very easily. It was a hot day (mid 80's or so) and my car was freshly washed. Sorry to hear you had a problem.

New Info and late post (12-19-07):
I guess I didn't look that close when I removed the wrap and did notice that there was a film residue left behind on some areas of the bumper. As of yet I have not had time to try to remove it. After reading a few posts with problems I would use the Press-N-Seal on a small area and test it for your self. Sorry I didn't notice the residue earlier.

Last edited by pmabke; 12-19-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation AAARRGghhhhh!

Originally Posted by cycoxtr
So I tried using the press n seal stuff, but it turned out to be a lot more of a mess. After I pealed off the stuff it left a residue behind. I tried scrubbing it off using everything I had. Eventually using gasoline worked. Hopefully that didn't mess up the paint. Did anyone else have this problem?
YES, I tried this and had the same problem this past weekend. The gooey stuff wouldn't come off with Quick Detailer, or with dish liquid (due for a wax anyhow). Finally had good luck with Bug & Tar Remover in a pignose bottle from Mr. Clean. The stuff was only on the car for about 8 hours. It took me an hour of WORK and a lot of the old Elbow Grease to remove it. Never again, nevernevernever. Scared the livin shit outa me when Quick Detailer didn't phase it. Wish I had read the latest on this thread before trying it; maybe I would have avoided that hardass hour's work.
P.S. Anytime you use bug and tar remover, have the garden hose handy and keep it rinsed off. That shit is pretty harsh.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
When love bug season was here in FL I used masking tap.

i saw that pic of your car in another thread. a good idea too, i wish i'd done that when drove up to the bay area last time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My $2.99 bra