Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY CEL/MIL code check

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Post DIY CEL/MIL code check

First, if you have a check engine light on, you can get the code(s) checked/scanned at your local Autozone. The service is free.

Second, if you dont want to run the car, you can check the code yourself.

Materials:
-Paper clip or jumper wire.
-Honda service manual (for more specific info about code)

Basically, with car off and keys out. stick wire/paper clip into pins 4 and 9.

Turn key to II ON position. (dont start)
The MIL should start to flash out error codes. To interpret the MIL flashes, count the number of long flashes and multiply by 10, then add the number of short flashes. The resulting DTC code can be referenced in the Honda service manual.

Reference the codes to this list.
-----CEL # List-----
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor circuit
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wires)
67 Cat Converter
71 random misfire cylinder 1
72 random misfire cylinder 2
73 random misfire cylinder 3
74 random misfire cylinder 4
80 EGR Valve/Line
86 ECT sensor - Cooling System
91 Fuel Tank pressure sensor
92 EVAP Solenoid/Valve/Vacuum Lines

Info can be found on various places on the internet, but thought it'd be nice to have one on FitFreak.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
tagged for interest

Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
GREAT post for the guys that don't have an obd2 reader. I got one cuz im cool like that but still a great post.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto on the tag...

Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Gotta be careful with the jumper though, you don't want to stick it in the wrong hole and potentially short something out.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
yup, thats why u double check the jump before sticking the keys in.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
"Basically, with car off and keys out. stick wire/paper clip into pins 4 and 9."

Where is this connector?

I have the Honda Service Manual (print version). There is no mention of any procedure like this (which I am amazed...this is the first car that I've owned that hasn't had a way of getting the codes without a scan tool).

Thanks for posting this. That's cool.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The procedure is listed somewhere in there. Just using different terms and not as clear cut.

This connector is usually found on the driverside in the footwell of the dash. Usually, right under the dash b/c emissions testing uses this connector.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 AM
He stated it could be found elsewhere on the internet in his original post. I for one, and many others based on thier posts here, am grateful for him bringing this to my attention, I know I wouldn't have seen this otherwise.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
Using these instructions, can someone confirm that they can locate the OBD2 connector so CLaymore can stop worrying about ppl incapable of finding it.
i found it it was right under the driver's side dash board like in every car in the US with an obd2 port. find your gas pedal and look straight up, it will be there smiling at you.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
i found it it was right under the driver's side dash board like in every car in the US with an obd2 port. find your gas pedal and look straight up, it will be there smiling at you.

My bad!!! I didn't realize that was the OBDII connector.

I didn't realize that shorting 2 pins on the OBDII connector would get the CEL to blink the trouble codes (and I cannot find anything about this in the Honda service manual). On my two Civics, there is a different connector near the engine computer (not the OBDII connector) that is used to get the CEL to flash error codes when two pins are shorted.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by john trials
"Basically, with car off and keys out. stick wire/paper clip into pins 4 and 9."

Where is this connector?

I have the Honda Service Manual (print version). There is no mention of any procedure like this (which I am amazed...this is the first car that I've owned that hasn't had a way of getting the codes without a scan tool).

Thanks for posting this. That's cool.
john-
Look in the ABS Brakes section of your Helm Service Manual- it shows the connector location.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
john-
Look in the ABS Brakes section of your Helm Service Manual- it shows the connector location.

I know where the connector is, but I haven't been able to find the procedure (shorting the pins) in the manual. Everything in the manual says to use a scan tool. I am a bit cautious when it comes to shorting pins on the OBDII connector if the procedure is not in the manual...who knows what damage you can do.

In my 92 and 96 Civic manuals, it shows how to short the pins (not on the OBDII connector, which came out in 96...the pins are near the computer) to get the codes.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by john trials
I know where the connector is, but I haven't been able to find the procedure (shorting the pins) in the manual. Everything in the manual says to use a scan tool. I am a bit cautious when it comes to shorting pins on the OBDII connector if the procedure is not in the manual...who knows what damage you can do.

In my 92 and 96 Civic manuals, it shows how to short the pins (not on the OBDII connector, which came out in 96...the pins are near the computer) to get the codes.
You asked "where is this connector?" in your post. Honda isn't about to tell you how to use a paper clip and count flashes in the official repair manual. That was the purpose of 03DSM's DIY (do it yourself, without the expensive scan tool).

Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
You asked "where is this connector?" in your post. Honda isn't about to tell you how to use a paper clip and count flashes in the official repair manual. That was the purpose of 03DSM's DIY (do it yourself, without the expensive scan tool).

Honda does tell how to do it (by shorting two pins) in the official 92 and 96 Civic Service Manuals that I have. But it isn't the OBDII connector. It is a special connector near the engine computer.

That's why I'm surprised Honda doesn't tell how to do it in the Fit Service Manual.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
when they created the helms, it was for the Honda techs. Usually, they have these service and diagnostic tools on hand so they do not use "paperclips". sometimes, its called a "jumper connector" that is a whole connector with the shorted wire within it. Nowadays, service techs can just plug up the diagnostic machine and get the full detail.

But, OBD2 still works the same in all cars and jumpering the 2 pins will work just fine.

If you're too scared to pull the code this method, visit your local autopart store (ie. autozone) for a free OBD2 diagnostic scan.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Old post , I know..... but I only count 8 pins in that picture.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Fa1
The second row of pins is right below it...

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Great post. Just used it tonight -- read code 4. Car still runs fine so I'd like to reset the code. How can codes be reset? On my older car with OBD1 you just disconnect the battery and hit the brake pedal for a while (to remove all charge from the system) -- is it the same of ODB2? Would I need to get an acutal scan tool to reset the codes?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by fit360
Great post. Just used it tonight -- read code 4. Car still runs fine so I'd like to reset the code. How can codes be reset? On my older car with OBD1 you just disconnect the battery and hit the brake pedal for a while (to remove all charge from the system) -- is it the same of ODB2? Would I need to get an acutal scan tool to reset the codes?

Thanks
Depends, on some very new cars you don't want to lose power for any reason. On older OBDII cars like my '97 Civic, disconnecting the battery will do it if it is not an "active" fault (i.e. something actually wrong with the car).

If there is something really wrong, the way to reset the code is to fix the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY CEL/MIL code check