Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Where to jack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Where to jack?

So I'm looking to jack up the whole car and put it on jackstands so I can rework my rear lip and install my spoon front strut bar. Anyone know the best place to jack up the car? I have no idea how I should go about the front, but the rear there is that triangular looking plate bolted to the bottom of the car. I'm thinking about using that as my jack point for my floor jack so I can fit my jackstands in the back. The front, I don't have any clue how I can get under it to fit my jack to jack up the whole front end. Only thing I can come up with is to jack up one side with another jack or the scissor jack, then hopefully that will give me enough clearance to put my floor jack somewhere underneath like the tranny or something. I've never actually jacked up one half of my car before, just one corner at a time. Any help would be appreciated guys!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned
The triangular black hump between the rear wheels is the REAR lift pad for a floor jack. There is also a lift pad dead center between the front wheels. Use a floor jack at these points to get the car high enough to place your jack stands at each corner where you would normally use the jack for changing a flat tire. Obviously, you need a floor jack to make use of the lift pads. If Costco exists up there, they have a nice aluminum low clearance floor jack on their web site under the auto accessories section. If you don't have access to costco.com, you can buy hydraulic floor jacks at almost any auto parts store, but they will cost more than the $100.00 one at Costco.

Last edited by manxman; 09-08-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Retired Moderator
Sweet thanks manxman! You always come through!

One more question though, how would you recommend I get my floor jack under the front? My ground clearance is very small with my new lip and lowered Fit, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. You think my idea of jacking up one side and then sliding the floor jack in place and then relieve the jack on the side so it sits on the floor jack is a good idea? I need at least another inch or two to actually get the whole jack under the car. I did a rough estimate and there is no way I can get my floor jack under the car without lifting it up a bit first...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:36 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Sweet thanks manxman! You always come through!

One more question though, how would you recommend I get my floor jack under the front? My ground clearance is very small with my new lip and lowered Fit, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. You think my idea of jacking up one side and then sliding the floor jack in place and then relieve the jack on the side so it sits on the floor jack is a good idea? I need at least another inch or two to actually get the whole jack under the car. I did a rough estimate and there is no way I can get my floor jack under the car without lifting it up a bit first...
drive your car up on 2x4's. slide the floor jack behind the front tire. jack it up and put jack stands on either side where those black metal tabs are. they are located near the side skirts. slowly lower down. when your done, make sure your 2x4's are positioned otherwise you will take off your side skirt.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned
Yes- your approach is good. I don't have a low clearance floor jack myself yet, just an old heavy duty cast iron one. So I use my car jack to raise one side just enough to get the floor jack under the front lift pad. There is enough room for even a big floor jack to go under the rear pad without needing the car jack. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
manual states where jack points are too if u need a visual.

remember, always use jack STANDS to hold the car up, never the jack alone.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
manual states where jack points are too if u need a visual.

remember, always use jack STANDS to hold the car up, never the jack alone.
I know they show where the side jack points are, does it also show the front and rear floor jack positions as well? The rear looks easy, lots of access, but the front when I look underneath looks like I have to jack it up on the tranny...I don't think thats a good idea. Thanks for all of the tips and tricks guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
ahhhhh! dont jack it up on the tranny!!! the whole weight of your car will be resting on your motor mounts. there is a little black square in the middle front between the wheels. it has an x on it. do it there. put the jack behind the drivers side wheel and use the little gap between the fender and the tire for room to move the jack arm up and down. also make sure you have a foam sleeve on your jack arm. thats what i do and my car is lowwwwwww.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned
Illusive, Kelsey is right about the location of the front lift pad. Don't lift under the trans. My advice to anybody intending to do their own mechanical repairs, maintenance, or modification is to make your first investment the acquisition of the Helm service manual. That gives you all of the basic information that you will need to find everything on the car and to keep from breaking parts.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Retired Moderator
OK sounds good guys. Thanks for all of your help. Looks like I'll probably jack up the rear first and put my jack stands on the back. Then like kelso said, I should have just enough clearance to run my floor jack under the car near the front fender and jack up the front.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
If you are still having problems with the height my uncle ran to cosco or sam's club and found one of those working diecast jacks because his civic is so low so he jacked with that high enough to put a regular jack underneath.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
if u look on the front of the car, you can see a beam with a slight notch. theres an imprinted arrow pointing to the front jack point.