Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Power steering gone

Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Power steering gone

I have a 2007 automatic base Fit. 30k miles on it. This morning when I start my car, a steering wheel symbol appeared on the right side of the dash board. The car also lost the power steering. After I stopped and start the car again, it is become normal. Has anybody have this problem before? Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Thank you,

Jerry

Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 PM
That light came on for me(though not the lose of Power Steering)and when I read the manual it said,"You must click the fuel cap,only TWICE,"or some light will come on.After I undid it 1to2 time's the light went out.If that power steering thing happen's again to your car,take it in.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Same problem posted in Fit Talk

and on the Fit forum in CarSpace. You are not alone but no one else seems to know the cause. I couldn't find a bulletin on this problem either. I'd take it back to the dealer ASAP.

FWIW, I just had a new vehicle replace under the VA lemon law for catastrophic power steering (hydraulic) failures, 4 to be exact. IMHO, this is a safety item and the vehicle should not be operated without this feature working properly.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Thank you for all suggestions. I just scheduled with the dealer for checkup. From other forum, one person had this happened to him on the highway. That is one scary situation.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned
you should be ok, even if it goes out on the highway, you don't need p/s at highway speeds, its really only necessary for parking lots and tight squeeze situations

Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
you should be ok, even if it goes out on the highway, you don't need p/s at highway speeds, its really only necessary for parking lots and tight squeeze situations
That may be true for a small vehicle like the Fit. When my minivan lost PS, it was unsteerable at any speed. I could get it off the highway in an emergency but no way could it be operated safely in normal situations.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
In fact, most Honda cars automatically shut off the power steering above 15-20 mph. We discussed that in my Auto Tech class.

However, that wouldn't cause the PS light to come on.

Last edited by The BOM; 03-11-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Just got back from the dealership. They determined that the control unit is defective. It has to be order. In other forums, people are having the same part replace. I forgot to mention regarding power steering loss. It felt like the steering is locked. It can't move to any direction. It is not the same as when you push a car with the engine off and the steering is heavy, but still turn.
There is also an update (or recall) to the computer unit regarding airbags deployment. They updated it too.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
did you hear any type of noises when you were making turns at slower speeds. My car makes a whineing noise when turning at slow speeds. Almost sounds like a bird chirping or something. My power steering works fine with no lights on but the noise is annoying.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I didn't hear that noise on my car. Could be the belt?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by jdzz
I didn't hear that noise on my car. Could be the belt?
you dont have a power steering belt on a fit as you have electric power steering

Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
WTF that's crazy, why are there so many gremlin problems occuring with the fit? i hope that doesnt mean all the other fits are going to have this problem

Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
electronic power steering control unit

The power steering in my wife's Honda Fit will disable without warning. The system and the light always reset after turning off and re-starting the car. She took it to the dealer while the car was under warranty, but they were unable to witness this intermittent event.

Today it happened again. She got to the dealer without turning off the car, so the light did not reset. They easily diagnosed it as a faulty Power Steering Control Unit that will fail more often until it fails constantly.

The warranty has expired, but since they had a record of her bringing in the car before, they offered to fix it for half price. This comes to $350.

It is a known problem. I have read discussions of it happening in blogs. I haven't found a TSB in the United States for this issue, but a recall exists in other markets.

Shouldn't the dealer fix this for free? Any other suggestions?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
A warranty HAS to have limits.

BUT

I would call Honda Customer Service (back of the owner's manual). See if they would pick up the other half.

If you are polite and reasonable you may get your repair for free.

Good Luck. One of the reasons I keep buying Hondas is the willingness to back up the product. I had a problem on a '90 Accord that was two years out of warranty and they picked up half the cost.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
i have had the same problem since last winter. happens to me when it is cold out. once the car warms up if i turn it off and back on it goes away most of the time. in the spring and summer i had no problems.

I read somewhere in the manual that when this problem occurs there is some procedure to reset it. but the manual states that the temp needs to be 65 degrees or more for them to perform this. problem is that it only happens when it is below that temp.

what to do...

Old 10-18-2008, 02:19 PM
hmm this makes me wounder. how many cars have a power steering light? iv not seen many at al unless its somthign thay have just started in the past few years, or unless lol honda know this PS will go out and that is just there way of telling you "Hey, your sh!t broke like we knew it would now take it in and pay us money to fix it" LOL just a theory

Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Happened for the first time this morning

Hello all,

I just picked up my FIT DX less than a week ago. It has ~300 km on it.

It was -20C (-4F) this morning. I'd taken my child to the daycare (a 2 minute trip, cold engine light still on) to drop him off. When I returned to the car and started the engine, I got the Power steering warning light.

I restarted the engine a couple of times but the warning light persisted. I drove it to the end of the street and parked it. The steering was mighty stiff. I let the engine run a while. When the cold engine light went out, I stopped the engine and restarted it. The light finally went away. There were no other problems on my regular, 1/2 hour trip to work afterwards.

I'll monitor and log these occurrences for future reference. If this were to occur while the car was in motion, I'd flag that as an obvious safety concern and have the EPS unit replaced.

Last edited by moonman; 02-05-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
cold weather is really rough on electronics. this is most likely a relay that was stuck, possibly defective. bring it to the dealer so they have a record of it. if it happens again do the same...eventually they should replace it for you.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 AM
My Power steering went dead......like 4 times in the last few months.

The manual says to restart the car and it will go away...........so far so good.

It's pretty tough to turn when there is no power steering!

Power steering fluid low? I can't find it where to add the fluid.......

Old 06-02-2009, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
There's no fluid it's electric power steering

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering gone