Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Valve Clearence

Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Valve Clearence

Hi guys, I'm new here (and to Hondas). Anyways, I do most maintenance and repairs myself but I don't get this note in the manual (page 251) to check and adjust Valves at every oil change (every A,B, 1,2, or 3 if noisy).

That is a joke!

I did a search here and found no info.

Any advice? I would be very thankful.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
Hi guys, I'm new here (and to Hondas). Anyways, I do most maintenance and repairs myself but I don't get this note in the manual (page 251) to check and adjust Valves at every oil change (every A,B, 1,2, or 3 if noisy).

That is a joke!

I did a search here and found no info.

Any advice? I would be very thankful.
A bit confusing, let me re-phrase:

The valve clearances are scheduled to be CHECKED when number 4 comes up on the Maintenance Minder. Otherwise, no action required, UNLESS THE VALVES ARE NOISY. Then, check them during an other service. (A, B, 1, 2, 3.) You don't have to make a special service appointment.

Feel better? BTW that info is on page 173 of the 2007 Owners Manual, online HERE:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00166A.pdf

Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I thank you for posting the info.

I have an 09 Fit and only found this site after my purchase thus I'm new. However, this topic doesn't seem to be covered here. How does one measure the noise levels? Since there is no device, I would assume the only 100% sure way to make sure that all is well is by checking the clearances.

It seems like a PITA since this is not a simple job.

The only good news is that since this topic is not covered here, I am guessing that ya'll don't seem to be having too much of a problem not checking the valves. However, the 09 Fits might have different issues that the 07+08s were not.

Anymore input will be welcome.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
A bit confusing, let me re-phrase:

The valve clearances are scheduled to be CHECKED when number 4 comes up on the Maintenance Minder. Otherwise, no action required, UNLESS THE VALVES ARE NOISY. Then, check them during an other service. (A, B, 1, 2, 3.) You don't have to make a special service appointment.

Feel better? BTW that info is on page 173 of the 2007 Owners Manual, online HERE:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...707O00166A.pdf

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't know you had an '09. Those owners manuals (with the same wording) are here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

I've owned lots of Hondas and have never found the valve adjustments to be intimidating. I have always purchased the Helm shop manuals. (Now, you can get the official shop info online at www.helminc.com , only $10 for 3 days)

It looks to me as if the specified check and adjustment interval is around 5 years or 120,000 miles, since it comes at the same time as coolant replacement. (That's the same as the non-Maintenance Minder spec on the '06V.)

"Noisy valves" are those that "tick" as the engine runs. This indicates a loose condition (too much clearance at the rocker arm).

Some Honda engines (notably the B Series from the late 90s) get "tight" over time, due to valve seat recession. On those, the valve train is quiet until the valve burns and compression is lost. So I'm going to check the clearances every 30 - 40K miles.

The first time you check/adjust the valves, it might take you 2 hours. After you get comfy with the procedure you are talking only 45 minutes.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Good Info.

I like the way you think. Better check every 30K miles than wait for the 120K miles check up.

I need to just buy the 09 service manual (if I can find one) and see how complicated this is. I don't just want to open the engine to play around in there.

Didn't know you had an '09. Those owners manuals (with the same wording) are here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

I've owned lots of Hondas and have never found the valve adjustments to be intimidating. I have always purchased the Helm shop manuals. (Now, you can get the official shop info online at www.helminc.com , only $10 for 3 days)

It looks to me as if the specified check and adjustment interval is around 5 years or 120,000 miles, since it comes at the same time as coolant replacement. (That's the same as the non-Maintenance Minder spec on the '06V.)

"Noisy valves" are those that "tick" as the engine runs. This indicates a loose condition (too much clearance at the rocker arm).

Some Honda engines (notably the B Series from the late 90s) get "tight" over time, due to valve seat recession. On those, the valve train is quiet until the valve burns and compression is lost. So I'm going to check the clearances every 30 - 40K miles.

The first time you check/adjust the valves, it might take you 2 hours. After you get comfy with the procedure you are talking only 45 minutes.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
Good Info.

I need to just buy the 09 service manual (if I can find one) and see how complicated this is. I don't just want to open the engine to play around in there.
Why not just buy the 3-day $10 access from Helms (they sell the excellent OE shop manual)? Download everything you can...can't take THAT long (unless you are on dial-up, heehee).

Let us know how that works out if you try it.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Why not just buy the 3-day $10 access from Helms (they sell the excellent OE shop manual)? Download everything you can...can't take THAT long (unless you are on dial-up, heehee).

Let us know how that works out if you try it.
I will try it but only when I get to something I cannot do without it. In the past I used a similar online manual to help a friend change a timing belt and water pump on a Toyota.

Originally Posted by manxman
You can buy one at www.helminc.com. Unfortunately, this manual is MUCH more frustrating to use than the '07 manual was (I don't know about the '08, or the combo '07-'08) because I only owned the '07. It takes twice as long to find what you need in the '09 manual because there is no index. You have to do a lot of waste-of-time reading of page after page to find the specific info. that you are looking for. However, the cost of the book is worth it, because the info. you want is actually there, somewhere, without the easy guide of the missing index.

I bought the book just as soon as I found out that they were available, so have not used the above mentioned 3-day, $10.00 access. Maybe THAT one has an index. If so, it would be worth at least 10 visits.
Thanks for the warning about the 09 book. I would have spent money and bought it if it were not for your advice. Since I am only at 4K miles and I am not in a big hurry for it I will wait for the 2010 manual.

With any luck, the techs will complain and have it revised.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Mine has a ticking that's mostly noticeable at idle. Is that a valve clearance thing? Should I worry about it?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ no don't worry everybody's is doing that too