Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Oil Filter Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Oil Filter Thread

Did a search and cannot find the info that I'm looking for.

I am at 4K miles on my 09 Fit.

On all my cars I change the oil at 5K mile intervals and always use Royal Purple.

The problem I am having is that the Honda Oil Filters are made by fram and I wouldn't use a Fram on any of my cars even if they were free.

Tell me, what Oil Filters are you guys using and where do you buy them?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
I remember a long time ago there was a website where a guy did a test on many different oil filters. And one of the top ones were the bosch ones. I use them and get them from Kragen.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Right now I'm using Purolator Pure One (yellow colored canister) that I got from Pep Boys for $6. Using with Pennzoil Platinum and everything runs like it should.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i use fram sometimes if it's on sale. as long as you change it at the right intervals you don't have to worry about "this filter is better than that one" and all that jibba jabba nonsense.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69
I remember a long time ago there was a website where a guy did a test on many different oil filters. And one of the top ones were the bosch ones. I use them and get them from Kragen.
I would LOVE to see that test. I will also look into the bosch.

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Right now I'm using Purolator Pure One (yellow colored canister) that I got from Pep Boys for $6. Using with Pennzoil Platinum and everything runs like it should.
I was thinking about using those since they are very easy to find but the coating on it will not hold my Filter Mag.

Originally Posted by doctordoom
i use fram sometimes if it's on sale. as long as you change it at the right intervals you don't have to worry about "this filter is better than that one" and all that jibba jabba nonsense.
I appreciate that point of view and while correct, I personally won't use a Fram EVEN if it's free let alone buy one when on sale.

Also, I always use Royal Purple in all my cars. That means that I have big money in the oil and don't want to skimp on the Oil Filter.

I am new to Hondas and I just want to know what was proven or thought to be the best. I'm at 4K miles and I do the oil changes on all my cars at 5K so all advice is welcome.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i see i see. well i do use mobil1 filters the majority of the time, and i hear amsoil filters are one of the best. but i personally don't worry too much about it since i change them out pretty often. that's just me though. if i had to recommend good quality filters to you just based on what friends over the years have told me, it would be mobil or amsoil oil filters.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i see i see. well i do use mobil1 filters the majority of the time, and i hear amsoil filters are one of the best. but i personally don't worry too much about it since i change them out pretty often. that's just me though. if i had to recommend good quality filters to you just based on what friends over the years have told me, it would be mobil or amsoil oil filters.
Well, the amsoil is out since I cannot find them locally, but the mobil 1 sounds promising. It is most likely a quality filter and doesn't cost $15 bucks a peice like the K&Ns and the Royal Purple Oil Filters.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing but OEM honda for me. Holds up to track abuse and daily driving. Used on 3 different cars over the last 5 years, never an issue, never burned a drop of oil

Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I always use "factory" filters on my cars until the warranty is over. If I suffer an engine failure, they can't blame it on an aftermarket filter.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm using Wix, Napa Gold (Made by Wix!) or K&N depending on disponibility!!

I hate Fram with a passion too!! :P

Marko!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I always use "factory" filters on my cars until the warranty is over. If I suffer an engine failure, they can't blame it on an aftermarket filter.
Let me tell you how I understand the Law regarding warranties. If they require you to use a particular brand of filter to keep the warranty valid then they MUST provide it to you free of charge.

Otherwise, you are welcome to use an oil filter of your choice. Should you suffer an engine failure, they would have to prove, in a court of law, that it was the after market oil filter that caused the failure.

IMO, Honda contracted Fram to make them the filters only because Fram gave the lowist bid for the job.

Are they good enough to allow the engine to last while under warranty? Sure.

Are they the highest quality filters available? No.

Most Fram filters have the WORST anti-drain back valve design of any modern filter. I'm no expert, but I would rather spend a few bucks extra for a filter made with better materials and with a better design.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor

Marko!!
I always heard good things about Wix filters. I think that they make the Motorcraft filters that I have only heard praise about.

Would you be able to get me a part number for the Wix filter sold at Napa?
My local Napa does not hire the shapest guys and they have sold me the wrong items in the past. I only found out after I began tearing into the car.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i use the factory blue filter. i usually just throw in a few in an order when i buy stuff online.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Hamp 10-pack from passwordjdm.com.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
Let me tell you how I understand the Law regarding warranties. If they require you to use a particular brand of filter to keep the warranty valid then they MUST provide it to you free of charge.

Otherwise, you are welcome to use an oil filter of your choice. Should you suffer an engine failure, they would have to prove, in a court of law, that it was the after market oil filter that caused the failure.

IMO, Honda contracted Fram to make them the filters only because Fram gave the lowist bid for the job.

Are they good enough to allow the engine to last while under warranty? Sure.

Are they the highest quality filters available? No.

Most Fram filters have the WORST anti-drain back valve design of any modern filter. I'm no expert, but I would rather spend a few bucks extra for a filter made with better materials and with a better design.
I am familiar with the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I also realize the hassle that car manufacturers and dealers can be. If I have an engine failure, I would rather not have to get an attorney to get if fixed. To each his own.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
i use mobil 1 oil and filters

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
I use HAMP does anyone else use it? I haven't had it for that long so I couldn't tell you much

Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor

Marko!!

this guy has got it right... wix is good, i'm also running royal purple with Purolator Pure One filter

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by im the fit
I use HAMP does anyone else use it? I haven't had it for that long so I couldn't tell you much
I'm sure all of the hardcore "JDM" people use it. All I know is that it's Green and pretty expensive for an oil filter. Expensive enough to outperform other filters? Probably not?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I am familiar with the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I also realize the hassle that car manufacturers and dealers can be. If I have an engine failure, I would rather not have to get an attorney to get if fixed. To each his own.
You have a good point. It would may save a big hassle just using those Frams...er...Honda filters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Thread