Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ask Detailer's Domain

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned
Ask Detailer's Domain

Let me know what's on your mind, how to apply something, tech questions on detailing?

I will try to answer it the best I can also welcome others to answer as well.

Some good articles to look at:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nightmare.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...o-article.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ffing-pad.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...me-waster.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...n-farrell.html

Last edited by phil@detailersdomain; 03-20-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Sup Phil, as mentioned earlier glad to see you on these forums. I know its not as active as other detailing forums but hopefully with your expertise and awesome discounts/products more people will be involved. Ill be glad to help you answer some of the detailing questions.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned
yes please help us recruit more detailing folks over here, I'm sure some would like the 20% off we are doing till March 31st.

I will post the sale on the other sections later.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Phil, just thought I'd throw this out and get your thoughts. What polish do you recommend for use with a PC? I know some polishes work best with a rotary but I'm sticking with my PC.

My car is in really good shape but does have some minor swirls which need polished out. As mentioned in another thread, I was going to give the Optimum a try but have heard it has a long working time with a PC.

Anyway, shoot me your thoughts on polishes and pads for great results with a PC, on Honda paint of course

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by davela72
Phil, just thought I'd throw this out and get your thoughts. What polish do you recommend for use with a PC? I know some polishes work best with a rotary but I'm sticking with my PC.

My car is in really good shape but does have some minor swirls which need polished out. As mentioned in another thread, I was going to give the Optimum a try but have heard it has a long working time with a PC.

Anyway, shoot me your thoughts on polishes and pads for great results with a PC, on Honda paint of course
I recommend Menzerna. I started with menzerna and I still use it. IMO its very beginner friendly and works great with a porter cable. Optimum is also a good choice but menzerna is top dog when it comes to polishes. Try some Menzerna P203s which is a one step polish. It has plenty of cut for Honda paints and finishes down ready for sealant and wax. I would pick up the 4" uber pads as they conform better to the Fits curves. Also since a PC is underpowered the 4" pads offer the most aggressive cut you can get out of the PC. I find anything bigger than 4" pads on a porter cable will bog and not give you enough cut. Plus doing bumpers is hard with anything bigger than 4" pads. Pick up some white pads to use with the P203s and youll be set. Pick up red or blue pads to apply sealant with. Im sure phil will chime in also

Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
if your paint doesn't have any swirls I would go with

Menzerna PO106FA with a uber blue pad (this is a finishing polish)

if you need more bite I would say Menzerna PO203 with a uber green (med polish)
then finish with PO106FA or PO85RD.

Let me know if that helps.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I recommend Menzerna. I started with menzerna and I still use it. IMO its very beginner friendly and works great with a porter cable. Optimum is also a good choice but menzerna is top dog when it comes to polishes. Try some Menzerna P203s which is a one step polish. It has plenty of cut for Honda paints and finishes down ready for sealant and wax. I would pick up the 4" uber pads as they conform better to the Fits curves. Also since a PC is underpowered the 4" pads offer the most aggressive cut you can get out of the PC. I find anything bigger than 4" pads on a porter cable will bog and not give you enough cut. Plus doing bumpers is hard with anything bigger than 4" pads. Pick up some white pads to use with the P203s and youll be set. Pick up red or blue pads to apply sealant with. Im sure phil will chime in also
Funny you say the PO203S, I was just reading about it on DD's site. I think that looks just about perfect for what I'm looking for. I've used the Intensive Polish in the past with the PC and had good results so I just might have to pick up the PO203S.

On a side note, are there any tips to know when the polish is broken down completely, i.e., a transparent look?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned
yes that is right when it goes transparent then wipe it off.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by davela72
Funny you say the PO203S, I was just reading about it on DD's site. I think that looks just about perfect for what I'm looking for. I've used the Intensive Polish in the past with the PC and had good results so I just might have to pick up the PO203S.

On a side note, are there any tips to know when the polish is broken down completely, i.e., a transparent look?

Thanks guys!
Check out this video

Detailing Video, How to use the Porter Cable 7424 7336 polisher

Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 PM
this will be great...

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Banned
we have a new base pc kit and the uber pc kit

take a look