Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Washing your FIT, products, techniques, answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rossmeister
Juliane, you do have a point regarding coin operated washes. But please bear in mind that not all Fitfreaks own their own homes and thus have access to a water hose. I live in an apartment complex and therefore no hoses. I could use buckets and buckets and buckets of water but that would be a total PITA. For me, the only SAFE option is the coin operated wash. I'll use the automatic washes only when I absolutely need it (touchless only!) And I think they can clean the undersides more completely than by hand, IMHO.
Two bucket is hardly a ton of buckets. It is what I did when I lived in an apartment.

Last edited by Funkster; 03-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rossmeister
Juliane, you do have a point regarding coin operated washes. But please bear in mind that not all Fitfreaks own their own homes and thus have access to a water hose. I live in an apartment complex and therefore no hoses. I could use buckets and buckets and buckets of water but that would be a total PITA. For me, the only SAFE option is the coin operated wash. I'll use the automatic washes only when I absolutely need it (touchless only!) And I think they can clean the undersides more completely than by hand, IMHO.
I had to change your font because I have an allergy to Comic Sans.

Yeah, that's a valid point. I have borrowed friends' driveways in the past when I lived in apartments. Hey, if a coin-op works for you, great! I have tried everything I know how in order to get my cars really clean. You can't see it on a light colored car, but you sure can on my almost-black BBP. Not worth the quarters to me.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I had to change your font because I have an allergy to Comic Sans.

Sorry about that, Juliane! I had no idea you had allergies to that font. Sumptin' about this great state that kick's up one's allergies, right? ROFL

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi guys! I just cleaned the interior of my Fit today after the long winter.

I noticed that the driver and the left rear carpet are wet and also there is some calcium stains. I tried to shopvac the water and calcium, to no avail.

Do you have any tips? Thanks!

See :

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vince_TB

I noticed that the driver and the left rear carpet are wet and also there is some calcium stains. I tried to shopvac the water and calcium, to no avail.

See :
Try Folex, it is available at most Home Depots and home imporovement stores. Follow directions on the bottle and you should be good.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks! Will do!

And for the wetness?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! Will do!

And for the wetness?
Only thing I can really suggest there is a fan or a higher power shop-vac.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Congratulations have been nice sharing

<a href="http://www.gazeteler.org/">Gazeteler</a>

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
s2000 clean ass shit lol like it just rolled out nice bro

Meh.. lol i jsut go to this one good car was down the street from my pad i wash it with the pressure washer they got there it comes out clean everytime i do it i let it sun dry comes out clean no water spots

Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
Meh.. lol i jsut go to this one good car was down the street from my pad i wash it with the pressure washer they got there it comes out clean everytime i do it i let it sun dry comes out clean no water spots
same, spot free rinse at the end, drive off... finishing touches at home with chamois and microfiber towels.

definately cannot complain for $5-6 each time.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annie
... I kept rinsing off the back end every other day the first week because it kept gathering dust during our intermittent drizzle.
This is an old post 2006 but couldn't find anything on solving the mud that is always on my back bumper after the smallest drizzle, even a very heavy dew will send the roof dirt down to the back bumper.
I like a clean car, not unusual for me to wash it once a month but it was never a problem with previous white cars. The Fit is a dirt magnet and it ends up on the bumper. Has anybody solved, diverting the roof runoff, putting a wide black bumper protector, the one's I have seen are short and don't cover the area in the right and left corner of the bumper sill just under the tailgate.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:36 AM

See :
I've used water with vinegar with great success in the past

Attached Thumbnails Washing your FIT, products, techniques, answers-fymo8w.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Ya. Definitely do not use dish soap to wash your car. It strips the pre-existing wax on the car and makes it bare. You should use dish soap if you plan on clay baring and re-waxing your car (only time to use dish soap).

Otherwise, use a hose-attached foam cannon (I don't have a pressure washer) and any car soap. They don't strip wax which is useful. Also, use some microfiber handmitts to scrub the car since they don't spread the dirt and won't scratch your paint if you're smart with it.

Please be good to the paint~

Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM
I use Turtle Wax's Zip Wax Car Wash. Waxes while it washes. Fast and quick. Water beads right up after it dries from the washing.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
2 bucket method folks .... start from there.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:24 AM
Hi all,
New member here and just thought I'd add this info to the list of cleaning and keeping up your Fit. Worked wonders on my 2010 Fit Sport with badly, badly neglected paint.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...back-life.html

Old 10-20-2020, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Another huge fan of the leaf blower approach to drying. As other members have mentioned, it gets all water out of the crevices, and minimizes non-lubricated touching of the paint. With Crystal Black Pearl, swirl marks are super easy to create. With a couple of nice coats of wax on the paint, the water just sheets off with the leaf blower. I have tried some of the new battery operated Ryobi's but they still aren't as effective as the good 'ole electric Toro.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:06 PM
love that s2k !