Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Seatbelt beep malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Seatbelt beep malfunction

I know there are already a number of threads about turning off the beep the car makes when you don't wear your seatbelt, but this is not my question.

This past weekend, my wife and I went for a drive and the icon kept flashing and the car kept beeping as though someone wasn't wearing their seatbelt. We both had our seatbelts on. I tried shutting the car and restarting it, and the car still thought someone wasn't wearing it. When we got home, I let the car sit overnight and the next day, I got in and put my seatbelt on, and the car STILL thought I wasn't wearing it. Any way to troubleshoot this? I could find NOTHING online about this issue, just people wanting to disable the alarm WITHOUT wearing the seatbelt. None of those ideas would work for me, since the alarm goes off while I AM wearing it!

My real concern is not that the seatbelt sensor might be malfunctioning, but that after 2 years and 6 months (and a week), and 27K miles of being nearly completely trouble-free (some wiring was loose twice, once on the fog light and once on the regular headlight), things are starting to go wrong.

Also, to all the people who want to disable the alarm without putting your seatbelt on, you must not be very patient: after about 10 miles, the icon stays lit, but the car stops beeping.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM
CTR
No idea what the problem is but have you checked all the connections, theres usually a cable under the front seats that connect to the seat belt socket.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by CTR
No idea what the problem is but have you checked all the connections, theres usually a cable under the front seats that connect to the seat belt socket.
Where is this cable? I suppose it could have become disconnected...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
CTR
Originally Posted by LizardKing
Where is this cable? I suppose it could have become disconnected...
I don't know if there is one as I've never looked in our Jazz but I know that in my Civic there is one under the driver seat. Just a suggestion in case you haven't checked.