Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Suggestion For Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Suggestion For Tires

I am a courier and would like suggestions for tires that get high mileage.... I have the sport model 2008 .....195/55/15.... Would appreciate any advice I can get on tires that wear really well

thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Do you want long wearing tires, or tires that save gas (low rolling resistance)?

Michelin, Goodyear and others sell LRR tires. Consumers Reports said they increased MPG on their Malibu by 2 - 3 MPG/highway. But, they had other consequences to fitment.

CR's report said not to buy LRR tires unless you use that characteristic as a tie breaker among brands.

++++++++++++++=

If it's long wear you want, look at the TireRack.Com site and read the reviews and specs for the size you want. It shouldn't be difficult to buy tires that last significantly longer than the OE fitment.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I just installed Pirelli P4s in 185/65/15 on my 07. I wanted taller tires for MPG & ground clearance. Speedo reads 70, GPS says 72.5. ODO says 10.0, GPS reads 10.27. I'm having trouble telling if the MPG is going up since the dealer flashed the PCM and didn't reset the idle right before the tire change. I did the idle relearn this AM and hope it helps. BTW, highway was 42 and mixed about 36 with the old Dunlops.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Bigger tires (that result in less revolutions per mile) can make is SEEM as if you are not getting as good MPGs. I would calculate the MPG using the correction factor you have found via your GPS. (In other words, for every mile add .027 mile to the odometer reading, for example if you go 200.0 odo miles between fill-ups, consider that to be 205.4 miles when doing calculations.)

Even with the same size tires, it's my experience that MPGs will go DOWN very slightly with new tires, due to extra weight and rolling resistance of the new tread.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Tire Rack has specs on every tire they sell that will tell you the tread wear rating. I would suggest getting a set of tires that unlike the stock tires can be rotated from side to side with a tread wear rating of 400 or better. I bought Conti Pro Contact as replacements for the stock tires on my car and they appear to be showing much less wear than the stock tires did at the same mileage.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Bigger tires (that result in less revolutions per mile) can make is SEEM as if you are not getting as good MPGs. I would calculate the MPG using the correction factor you have found via your GPS. (In other words, for every mile add .027 mile to the odometer reading, for example if you go 200.0 odo miles between fill-ups, consider that to be 205.4 miles when doing calculations.)

Even with the same size tires, it's my experience that MPGs will go DOWN very slightly with new tires, due to extra weight and rolling resistance of the new tread.
That is correct. I never GPSed the original tires to see if the ODO was close. Consensus here is that the ODO registered around a 5% error when new in the other direction giving drivers the opinion their Fits were getting 5% better MPG than they actually were. I will add that when new the speedo was spot on. Dummy me should have checked both speedo and odo calibration on the way to the tire shop as well as the trip home.
I do like that the taller skins have dulled the steering a bit. The Dunlops always did make the fit handle like a Go Kart. As for the curves, I didn't buy the Fit for that reason. I have a 1981 Lancia Zagato for that purpose. Catch me if you can!