Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Edwood
One of the Xpel recommended installers quoted $42 for parts and labor for the Headlights and Foglights.

That seems too cheap for the precut Xpel kits. They sell them for over $60 alone. Perhaps installers get a much cheaper price?

I'm thinking they quoted me only the headlights or fog lights.
just the fog lights is $12, but if you cut your own its only $4. installation on the foglights is really easy, the headlights im not sure, $42 for both would be a good deal though

Old 05-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Considering the Xpel Headlamp and Fog Lamp Kit costs $69.95 for DIY install, that's a bargain.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
I think you can have it done for $400. I live in the puget sound and it is kinda spendy around here... If yo are in L.
a. or New York I understand. Shop for a compitant dealer and a fair price for your area.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
I left something out. If you find a person that cuts there own product they will probly bid more competitve. Also, the fact that they cut there own speaks of there skill and comfort level

Old 05-28-2006, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Concider this you can probly have the front of your car sprayed with new paint for that price. It is not that you would want to but you can.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by big Fit
Concider this you can probly have the front of your car sprayed with new paint for that price. It is not that you would want to but you can.
Good point! I was pondering that exact same statement last night when replying to another local Xpel dealer. After 5 yrs, dents, dings, chips, I might as well repaint the whole thing...in YELLOW!

Old 05-28-2006, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by big Fit

I disagree. Hood, bumper, lip, mirrors repainted is definitely going to be more than $400. Plus, you will have paint inferior to the OE paint, the color match is not a sure thing, the down time on the car is much longer, plus it will still chip, actually it will chip MUCH faster than the honda paint.

I'll take the clearbra myself.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Anyone know of a good installer in the Houston area?

Old 05-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by 743power
I disagree. Hood, bumper, lip, mirrors repainted is definitely going to be more than $400. Plus, you will have paint inferior to the OE paint, the color match is not a sure thing, the down time on the car is much longer, plus it will still chip, actually it will chip MUCH faster than the honda paint.

I'm with you on this one. You have to keep in mind that it isn't simply painting over your existing paint. A good body shop will strip your existing paint, fill in all of the chips and any other abnormalities, apply primer, then apply the paint. The only thing you will be saving on is fitment. Most bodykit installs are $1000 and over (in CAD) for a good job, and that only includes primer, paint, and minor fitment corrections. To do the hood, bumper, lip, mirrors, fenders will cost more than that I would assume.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...&submodel=4255

Link where you can purchase several different items. Think I am going to do the headlamp/fog light kit since they are all pre cut. If I do, I'll take pics and post.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 743power

I agree with you. I would not want to have a car painted for the same reasons... Painting a car should not be taken lightly. Boy what a job painting is. I perfer the rock gaurd. I dont have rock gaurd now but what I practice is no tailgating and keep the speed down. I park the fun car in the winter since the roads are dirty. I plan to drive the fit daily.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
IMO, better to prevent than the repair.

I've got to start searching for a shop in Ottawa than can perforn this!

Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by b17gsr
IMO, better to prevent than the repair.

I've got to start searching for a shop in Ottawa than can perforn this!
I can get you the kit pre-cut, but you would have to install it yourself...

Old 05-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
I have connection as well
Aziatiklover can you recommend someone in the Houston area to install the film?

Jim

Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I was just quoted $600 for the complete front end job including lights by a local (Brooklyn, NY) XPEL dealer I found on the XPEL website.

I made an appointment for next Thursday morning, 6/8

I know the roads I drive to and from work will eventually tear up the looks of the low sitting front end so this is a must for me.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Retired Moderator
$600 sounds about right for the whole kit. If you are a big do-it-yourself kinda person or think you can handle doing this sorta job yourself, you can save half of that cost. Check out my thread in the vendors section.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
$600 sounds about right for the whole kit. If you are a big do-it-yourself kinda person or think you can handle doing this sorta job yourself, you can save half of that cost. Check out my thread in the vendors section.
I hear you on that. I just don't have the time, patience, or skill level required to do it myself.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I just came back from having my car done at www.cogarcustoms.com in Vermillion, OH, just outside of Cleveland. I got the 3M film installed on the bumper, fender, mirrors, hood, and front lip. Took about 4 hours. Overall, you can barely tell its there. There is a line on the hood, thou, but its not that noticeable.

I watched them while they installed it. First, they pull up your car's pattern on the computer and print it out on a plotter. Then they wash your car with a wash that removes grease, dirt, grime, etc from the car's finish. Then they mix up two sets of bottles: one set with a mixture of alcohol and water; the other with soap and water. They use the soap/water mix to hose the front with the solution. Then they "float" the film into place. Once its in the general area, they soak the outside with more soap/water mixture and use little squeegees to lay it down and remove air bubbles. Once its down, they squirt the alkie mix to set the adhesive. They do this for the entire job. Once its done, they go back and squish down all the bubbles/etc. Then they use a heat gun to set everything. Overall its pretty involving and requires a lot of patience, which I have none. I'd pay to have it installed again after watching them for 4 hours try to install it on my car.

I highly recommend getting the 3M film installed and defeinitely recommend Cogar Customs if you're in the NE Ohio area. Joe Cogar, the owner, was extremely helpful answering my questions and made sure he went over the 5 year warranty with me. From the pictures of the install he's done, he has the experience and confidence to do custom jobs. They've done everything form Porsches to Lamborghinis. I also liked that he has the ability to mfg custom pieces on site instead of ordering online. The shop was clean and professional. The other dealers in the area were mobile installers and would've done the install in my parking garage, which I didn't care for since the lighting is bad, dust is in the air, and not the ideal place to do any kind of car work. So, I was happy Cogar had their own shop I could take my car to.

I'll post pics once the sun is out.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wave
I was just quoted $600 for the complete front end job including lights by a local (Brooklyn, NY) XPEL dealer I found on the XPEL website.

I made an appointment for next Thursday morning, 6/8

I know the roads I drive to and from work will eventually tear up the looks of the low sitting front end so this is a must for me.
Can you tell me which part of Brooklyn that you got this job? I want to get one too.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
Can you tell me which part of Brooklyn that you got this job? I want to get one too.
Bayridge

Call "Mint Finish"
(718)986-0864
Ask for Ken

Quick Reply: 3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?