Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by UTMBFIT
From the pattern, it looks like the one I got installed on my car.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm having Envisage Design Labs in Torrance, CA install headlight and foglight films. They say that they have issues with the thicker XPEL films starting to "bubble up". While the thinner stuff does not.

I'm having the thick stuff applied to the fog lights for maximum protection, and the thinner stuff on the headlights.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi There,

The $585 you were quoted seems consistant with what we have up here in Boston. I did get mine done and am very glad to have done so. It's worth the money to protect the integrity of the factory paint.

Just one opinion.

RC

Old 06-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Xpel film installed.

8 mil installed on the Headlights. 40 mil installed on the Fog lights.

Note the iridescence of the 3m film

The film has a slight orange peel like texture, but is very clear.

The thin stuff put on the Headlights is so thin and hard to see, that the vast majority of people will never know it's there. Only problem is that the headlights are so rounded, that the film was starting to peel up at the edges when I washed the car. I squeegeed it back down and looks fine. I will have to check again tomorrow. I hope it doesn't start peeling up everytime it gets wet, or it's going to be a problem when it rains.

The thick stuff (40 mil) is apparently prone to getting lots of "bubbles" under the surface over time. I'll post pics of the bad film later when I have a chance. The installer gave me a sample piece of the bad film so I could take a picture of it. The bubbling problem is known by 3m and Xpel will replace the bad film under warranty. But that will not include the labor costs.

All in all, looks great so far, as in you really cannot tell the film is there. It's even really hard to tell it's there in the pics above. The installer had a difficult time installing the headlight films, he really had to stretch it. I most certainly wouldn't want to do those myself. The fog lights looked really easy to do.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Vancouver, BC ClearBra

I install paint protection film in Vancouver BC. I'm mobile so I can keep my prices and expenses down. In the beginning I used 3m tape, but for fine work found the orange-peel and formability of it not so great. Research led me to Venture Tape, it's the brand most used by installers that do alot of high-line work. It's way clearer and no orange-peel, more formable plus has a lifetime warranty. It's mo betta. When having any paint protection film installed make sure that that full-wrap kits are used, that's when the film is wrapped around the leading edges of hood. Non-wrapped kits are cheaper and less effective from a protection perspective.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Works like a trampoline

A ClearBra is the only way to go. Protects by bouncing stuff off like a trampoline. Won't fade unevenly. Doesn't need special care, just wash and wax as always. And years down the road when you are trading up or selling, take it off and wa la the paint is as good as the day you put it on.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
What's the difference between all this and body side moulding? After I got a couple of dimples in a side door from a shopping cart, someone recommended the side moulding to prevent further dents. Won't that louse up the looks of the Fit?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by FondaFit
What's the difference between all this and body side moulding? After I got a couple of dimples in a side door from a shopping cart, someone recommended the side moulding to prevent further dents. Won't that louse up the looks of the Fit?
They clear films are designed to protect the paint on the front of the car.

For door dings/dents, since the US models do not have the door moldings (not that it makes much difference against SUVs) only way around it is to park at the end of the lot or next to a curb on a parking lot island.

The Fit is so low that even if there were door moldings, it would not protect it from the doors of SUVs. Honestly to prevent damage to the car, you'll have park far away and just hoof it over.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmparts@gmail.com
They clear films are designed to protect the paint on the front of the car.

For door dings/dents, since the US models do not have the door moldings (not that it makes much difference against SUVs) only way around it is to park at the end of the lot or next to a curb on a parking lot island.

The Fit is so low that even if there were door moldings, it would not protect it from the doors of SUVs. Honestly to prevent damage to the car, you'll have park far away and just hoof it over.
Just had two door dings taken out by PDR. Dent Wizard tech recommended molding for the wheel wells, since the PDR technology doesn't work on those and it's an expensive body shop repair. Anyone know if the Fit/Jazz has protective molding for the lower fenders/wheel wells?

Old 07-11-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Does the 3m coating come off?
Does it stay for life??
Can you wax it??

Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Paint Protection Film Questions

There are at least 4 or more major firms making paint protection film. Although 3m is the most common brand to the public it is not the best paint protection film on the market. There are 2 maybe 3 better brands.
I use VentureTape, it has a lifetime warranty, that said the film will be at it's best for about 7-8 yrs. VentureTape is smoother (no orange-peel), stronger almost twice as strong as 3m and clearer, thus life time warranty. It of course can be removed at anytime to reveal paint as good as the day it was installed. Any major brand paint protection film can be washed and waxed like you normally would.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
What is this stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

Sounds like just a clear rubber and it's not permanent. You can easily peel it off according to it's ad. Sounds too good for the price.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
looks like a great product but the installation kit and dvd is 22$ extra if you read the feedback customers note difficuly of installation

Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jimmyparky
What is this stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

Sounds like just a clear rubber and it's not permanent. You can easily peel it off according to it's ad. Sounds too good for the price.
It's a great deal at the price!!!

That's what I have on mine. Make sure that if you have the sport model that they make a pattern for it. I have a sport and it was obviously cut for a base model and they didn't have a sport pattern back then (6 months ago).

Nicole in customer service is easy to deal with and will help you as much as she can.

If you've never installed window tint I suggest you have it installed by someone that knows how to heat shrink film like a tint shop.

I love it, for the price you can't go wrong.

It's not completely clear it's got a very slight tint to it. If you want it to be really clear then the 3M paint protection film is the way to go. You can find it in another post just search. This has been covered already.

The 3M runs around $250 for the kit and around $450-$500 installed by a 3M authorized dealer. You can find them in your area (at the 3M website).

If you plan on installing it yourself like I did plan on spending the day doing it. Take your time and do it right. I helped them out by showing them where they could improve the pattern so it should be easier to install now.

A heat gun or a good hot hair dryer is a must to install it right and above all patience. And lots of soapy water in a spray bottle.

It lasts about 5 years then you peel it off and replace it. It doesn't last forever after all it's going to take some punishment that's what it's designed to do. A cloth bra will be falling apart long before then.

Do a search for "clear bra" to find more info on it.

Besides I would never put a black cloth bra on my white Fit.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 12-04-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I had seen one owner of CRV that had the film on the hood and after years it was totally stuck to the paint and he couldn't peel it off. It was all discolored and looked nasty. So, I'm little concerned if this will be hard to get off later. Also, how does waxing affect the film? Should you wax it before applying the film? Also, I'm guessing after applying the film you should be careful when waxing the car and avoid the area where film ends cause you'd have little buildup at the edge. What do you think?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
I have contacted the ebay link above and got good response. Not sure how the removal process will be. I know window tint is a B#tch to remove once installed. Then again I was thinking about ordering it just to try it out can't really hurt either way the car will get abused. Also has Anyone thought about using this on the door sills and rear bumper. I was going to email them and ask if they could quote (5) 4-inch pieces to install there also.... Worth a shot, My buddy uses it on his race car and it works wonders.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
2hot6ft2, how many pieces of film the kit comes with and which part does it cover?

- Brian

Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
To answer the questions.
To remove it you would do it the same way you remove window tint. Go to Home Depot or similar home improvement center and read the bottle of window film remover. Spray it on cover with plastic for 1/2 hour then start peeling it off, if it's still hard to pull off repeat as needed.

Waxing before putting it on is definitely a good idea. You wont be able to wax the paint it's covering once it's on.

Waxing after it's on. You can wax the film, it's even recommended. A little water on a folded cloth can remove wax at the edges.

Using it on other places. Let's see I have it on my door handles where your fingers go to open the doors, on the side garnishes (sport trim) so when getting in and out they don't get messed up if your foot hits them, on the rear bumper as an appliqué alternative.

They sell it by the foot as well for something like $2 or $3 a foot that is 2' wide. The rear bumper is curved so you might as well make it a foot at least for the rear bumper otherwise you'll come up short. Plus whatever else you want to use it on. The shipping should stay about the same if you have them add some at the same time you order the kit.

It does weigh a bit so they may add a little more shipping depending on how much you want.

What parts are in the kit. Remember I got mine back before they knew there was a sport model so ask for a sport kit if you have a sport model. It had (2) mirror pieces, (1) hood, (2) fenders, (1) bumper and (1) piece for the bottom of the front bumper.

I would ask Nicole to send me a pic of what the pattern is like now. Tell her you were talking to Seedig in Alabama and you would like to see if they have corrected the pattern yet for the Fit.

Just got my car back from having the rear bumper repainted and the Dr. side garnish replaced due to the paint flaking off so I had to pull it off the bumper and it peeled up with a little effort. Now I have to wait about a Month before I can put another piece on. Can't wait.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks 2hot6ft2,
This is very helpful information. Had I known, I would have installed this before winter. Now I wonder if I I should wait for warmer days.

Quick Reply: 3m paint protection film, xpel, clearbra, etc?