Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i got this chip in the front...probably a rock

Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
a lot of chips on my milano red. Been trying to stay away from highway driving.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Mine too. I'd venture to say they did not use a 2-component clear coat process. Chips are still less hideous / obvious than bras!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
my taffeta has like 3 chips .... itis the fricking highway.

Ahhh one more thing. You can see me almost every day spraying maguires on the front end of the car to keep it white, and taking off insects that are so bad for the paiNt, and belive me I hate to wash cars! I think that A CLEAN CAR IS A SIGN OF A SICK MIND

Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
I used to get paint chips all of the time, then the guy that does the touch up at our dealership told me to back off from the cars in front of me a bit. I did and there are no more chips

Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I got a highway dent, a huge rock came off of the trailer I was behind and clocked my hood really good. I will be purchasing the car bra in a few weeks.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I have got three chips on the hood, rather nasty looking now that they have rust. I simply neglected it, and since last winter they are rusty. I have one on the roof as well. The paint does not look very strong.

I will correct them by myself, we will see what happends.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Door Repair

Have the car at the body shop today my VBP got hit by a deer and surprisingly enough there were only a few dents on the drivers side and drivers back door. It did not damage the paint except for a crack along one of the dents. Curious to see how it looks tomorrow when i go in to pick it up.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM
my side skirt has a small scratch that looks like it was from a little rock. My road has bsaically packed gravel so im fvcked basically. The fit's paint=crappy

Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
yup i got a couple of little pin sized dots on my bumper and front lip! IT sucks, but it is not noticable unless you go up to the bumper and look for it!

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by gettinafit
yup i got a couple of little pin sized dots on my bumper and front lip! IT sucks, but it is not noticable unless you go up to the bumper and look for it!
Maybe this is a thread that needs to go to honda, because when i got my car back from the dealer i took the stupid front license plate holder off and there were two pin sized dots on my bumper. It didn't look like something on the road damaged it, because the dots felt like they were from the inside. Having the guy buff them out while its at the body shop. Could possibly be a manufacturing flaw?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I got 'em too. Plus some paint and molding defects but too small for most to be concerned about. Then again, production painting systems is my career. I've seen worse.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I just got mine this morning 6/22/06. I found a 10in long cut in the paint on the roof line just above the black weather stripping at the driver side rear. I already notified my salesman, who was pissed! He's having me bring it back to have it looked at. Right now he's treating it as a warranty issue, to see what repair options are. Either way, I dont expect to pay a dime for a repaint or anything!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 PM
If its' removable, i.e. 1500 then 2000 grit wet sanding followed by 3m fine cut rubbing compound followed by clay may save a lot of color matching grieve, if your Fit has metallic or pearl coatings. The reflective features of theses added solids never align themselves as when they were electrostatically applied, even if the body shop were to use E-stat guns. This is always the first step in the final repair booths prior to assembled cars leaving the plant. Spot refinishing should be the last resort. Also, aside from color matching there is color hold-out from the substrate condition and shrink-back of solvent, reducing gloss and exposing sanding evidence. Sorry for the blog but we build paint systems so I couldn’t resist. And I’ve seen some real hack jobs that people accept and 6-months later it all looks dull

Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Update on my paint issue. After having the salesman, detail guy, Asst Service Mgr and whoever is supposed to check in cars when they arrive, all look at it. They are befuddled how it happened and why it didnt get noticed first.

It will be repaired by their local body shop people and treated as a transport or lot damage claim. I'm not sure how the body shop will decide on a repair option, ie sanding or repaint. The money out of my pocket still equals "$0"

Old 07-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Paint Protection

Get paint protection film. Look around any parking lot at the newer car/trucks, doesn't matter if it's a $15,000. Fit or a $150,000. Porsche you're going to get road-rash.
Paint maintenance is no longer about using the proper wax or sealants to protect the paint’s surface from the environment. Water based paint is now standard in the automobile industry due to environmental regulations. Although, paint gloss and clarity is not affected by the paint’s composition, the strength is. Paint chipping from regular driving is now a norm due to its softness.

Last edited by andy@clearbra.ca; 07-01-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Body Side Moulding?

Should we also be considering which color is being used? I have Storm Silver, and maybe I'm not clued in as well as everyone else, but the paint looks good to me.

I got in touch with a local Caddy dealer who is listed by Dent Wizard as an authorized dealer, but found out they have a contractor who visits to do their used cars, and will take on private individuals' vehicles while he's there. The guy was surprised to hear that Dent Wizard lists their dealership at all. I have two little dents in the passenger rear door caused by a Home Depot shopping cart -- no paint damage. While at an ATM yesterday, a guy did a U-turn on his bike to have a look at my Fit. He'd planned to get a Matrix (his TransAm gas mileage is killing him) and helped his sister buy an Accord from the same dealer where I got my Fit. He thought at first it was a Hyundai, and he flipped when he realized he was looking at a Honda. He is a car freak and seems to know most of the local businesses that do tinting, mods, etc. He recommended that I get side moulding for the Fit to prevent dents. How would this look? Haven't heard it mentioned by anyone on the Forum. I like my Fit's lines, but if I get the dents ironed out, I don't want to see the same thing happen all over again.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Hondas have really soft paint..I recommend using a two bucket method and sheepskin mitts...one bucket for soap...one with clean water...do a few strokes on a panel...dip in clean water to rinse...get more soap...you'd be suprised what that does for preventing swirls..also get a california water blade, or an Absorber for drying..or a soft waffle weave microfiber..drying improperly probably induces the most amount of swirling on a regular basis than anything

Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM
That is exactly the method I am using. I'm using a meguairs sheepskin mit I bought at biglots for $4.99. When I dry the car with my absorber, I dab/blot dry instead of rubbing.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Good deal your off to a good start you would be suprised how much proper washing and drying curbs swirls

Quick Reply: Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?