Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Paint easy to scratch/swirl, cheap paint from the factory?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I have Black - lucky me! considering the paint quality. I love black - but man the quality of this paint is terrible! i do think this is a manufacture defect and not the first time Honda has had one with its paint. my car is not only scratched but swirled = and dull - no matter what we do.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by roenyc
I have Black - lucky me! considering the paint quality. I love black - but man the quality of this paint is terrible! i do think this is a manufacture defect and not the first time Honda has had one with its paint. my car is not only scratched but swirled = and dull - no matter what we do.
Why is it terrible, be more specific... What have you done to remedy, discussed with Dealer, waxed, etc. Black on order so not sure what I should be looking for....

Old 08-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by danyn_canyon
Why is it terrible, be more specific... What have you done to remedy, discussed with Dealer, waxed, etc. Black on order so not sure what I should be looking for....
black is beautiful, but "we" as a whole not just owners of black are having paint issues.

but the black in some cars is dull. please when your car comes in go over it with a fine tooth comb. look between the seems of the car for bubbles in the paint.

run your hand over the hood of car for bubbles (they are under the paint) and check for swirls.

if you see anything suspicious just make sure they fix it before you take the car. there are many treads on this. its not just the black.

i bought my black off the lot. you should expect more. please dont worry. just do a search on paint in this place and be ready when you pick up your car.

good luck and welcome to the black fit club.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roenyc
black is beautiful... please dont worry. just do a search on paint in this place and be ready when you pick up your car.

good luck and welcome to the black fit club.
okay roenyc, fine toothe comb, will check carefully. thanks for the suggestions. Not sure why anyone would buy a color other than Black...maybe to hide blemishes. Hoping the factory had a 'good paint day' on Aug 3rd...time will tell.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by danyn_canyon
okay roenyc, fine toothe comb, will check carefully. thanks for the suggestions. Not sure why anyone would buy a color other than Black...maybe to hide blemishes. Hoping the factory had a 'good paint day' on Aug 3rd...time will tell.
yes that is why silver is the best selling color in America. i had my heart set on Orange then red but when i saw the black, i was sold.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pokems23
a lot of chips on my milano red. Been trying to stay away from highway driving.
how do you like the milano red (other than the chips)
I just put a deposit on a milano red sport tonite
thanks
caber

Old 05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
White Smudges in Paint

My VBP has two white spots on it, a tiny one near the front driver's side, and a larger one near the rear passenger side. I thought it was dirt, but no amount of washing or claying removed it. It feels perfectly smooth. Any ideas what happened? I will try to post a picture, but I'm not sure how it'll come out. Is there touch-up paint in the right color that I can use? It seems like the larger one in the back has grown a bit since I cleaned it. Is something like this covered under warranty and is it even worth bothering about?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 AM
i buffed out a scratch with some 3m rubbing compound and the paint faded past the clear and base coat, that's the thinnest paint i've ever seen..anybody else experience this??

Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cerritos.562
i buffed out a scratch with some 3m rubbing compound and the paint faded past the clear and base coat, that's the thinnest paint i've ever seen..anybody else experience this??
Try not to revive dead threads, last post before yours was in May.

Depends on the degree of rubbing compound and, to some measure, what color your car is. There will always be swirls and slight scratches, unless you clay+polish+wax every weekend. Meguiar's Scratch-X worked fine for me when I misjudged and had a tree branch scratch from the side view mirror to the rear.

Also, it seems you were rubbing too hard, it should go past the clear and base coat at all unless you were really working at it. Did you gently rub at it with somelike like a 100% cotton or microfiber cloth?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Angry Damn nylon brushes!

Up until now my car has been scratch / swirl free until this past weekend. I made the mistake of going a different car wash place that has those new nylon brushes! I'm pissed, there is slight swirl scratches across the hood and some other spots. The car was place I usually use has the horse hair brush and dispenses a lot of really soft suds. I'm talking about the places where you pop in quarters and do it your self.

What the hell are they thinking? We aren't driving concrete vehicles. You could break skin with some of those brushes I've seen out there.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Anyone try that liquid clay bar stuff? Is it any good? I'm way too lazy to clay bar my entire car constantly.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Clay bar should only be done about twice a year. If you clay bar the car it will remove any sealant or wax. Stick to a conventional clay bar for best results.

Honda's have very soft clear cloat. Its not a defect or low quality paint. The car will swirl/scratch alot more easily but its also much more easier to remove than cars with hard clear coats such as german cars.

I noticed some people talkedd about waxing their car to remove swirls/scratches. Unfortunately waxing or clay baring your car will not remove swirls. You will need a compound such as menzerna products and a buffer such as a porter cable or rotary. A full paint correction will usually take about 6 or more hours depending on the condition. Although its generally better to leave this kind of job to professional detailers because you can end up burning through your clearcoat and making the situation much worse.

NEVER pass your car through an automatic car wash or through the local coin operated wash. NEVER let the dealership wash or "detail" your car. If you guys stick to the 2 bucket method and always have a good layer of sealant and wax your car will remain swirl free. Darker colors will always show swirls alot more. If anyone has anymore questions just shoot me a pm or just post em up here. Ive detailed several fits and they have all been pretty easy to correct.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm fairly positive that the Milano Red, at least for 07 is a single stage paint, which means it has no clear coat. Here is a link to a thread on the Meguiars car detailing forum about working with single stage paint on the Honda Fit. There are some good care tips and product recommendations. I'm the one who started this thread because I was getting paint transfer onto my polishing pads with a very mild compound on a rotary buffer.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=38598

Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Ive detailed several fits and they have all been pretty easy to correct.
yea....i'd like to think that mine would be easy to fix/detail but i'm doubting it

i think i need a new hood first

stupid love bugs

Old 11-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by krakhed
yea....i'd like to think that mine would be easy to fix/detail but i'm doubting it

i think i need a new hood first

stupid love bugs
Love bugs do suck, I know how you feel. If you want I can take a look at it and let you know, im not sure where exactly your located. Ill let you know for sure if I can correct it or not. Most of the time if the bug has been there a long time especially in the sun, it can etch into the clear coat. Bug guts are very acidic and need to be removed immediately, same as bird poop. Black cars show it the worst.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I have a white 07 fit with f---ed up paint job. I used a paint cleaner to strip the old wax off, then waxed it twice a year since i got the car. The cleaner helps get all the scratches out. Was looking great until about a year ago. Started gettin faded spots that i couldn't "clean" out. Just kept getting worse until the whole car got like that. I been doin the same thing to my 00 nissan. And the paint on it is Black as hell and shines like new. Honda's fits paint just sucks ass.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Agreed. I can't wait to repaint the car with a more durable paint. The Fit's paint chips so easily.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I use a soft pad. Only hit a touchless car wash one time. I wash and wax about one or two times a month. Had car for 1.5 years and do not have swirls.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chasedog
I'm fairly positive that the Milano Red, at least for 07 is a single stage paint, which means it has no clear coat. Here is a link to a thread on the Meguiars car detailing forum about working with single stage paint on the Honda Fit. There are some good care tips and product recommendations. I'm the one who started this thread because I was getting paint transfer onto my polishing pads with a very mild compound on a rotary buffer.

Honda Fit Rotary Work
The red and the white ARE single layer paint systems...I checked.