Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: What Maintenance Minder Means

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Post DIY: What Maintenance Minder Means

Oil Life

15%
SERVICE
DUE SOON
Plan to take vehicle in for
scheduled maintenance.

5%
SERVICE
DUE NOW
Take vehicle in now
for scheduled maintenance.

0%
SERVICE
PAST DUE
(Mileage past due is also shown)
Service is overdue. Take
vehicle in now for scheduled
maintenance.

Maintenance Main Items

Symbol What It Means

A Replace just engine oil.

B Replace engine oil and oil filter.
Also inspect various systems and components
(see applicable service manual for details).

Maintenance Sub Items

Number What to Do

1 Rotate tires, and check tire
pressure and condition.

2 Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt,
and replace dust and pollen filter.

3 Replace transmission fluid
and transfer fluid (if equipped).

4 Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped),
inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance.

5 Replace engine coolant.

6 Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped).

Last edited by davmbar; 10-03-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
good info.. but for the B- do you mean incabin air filter and not oil filter, i always change the oil filter every oil change.. :?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:50 AM
according to Honda you should change the firlter at the b service but all the dealers ive worked at dont follow it. they change the filter everytime they change the oil.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, I didn't believe that at first but I just went onto Honda Finacial Services' owner link and you really just need to change the oil at the 'A' service and both the oil and filter at 'B'. That means I can get anywhere between 12,000 to 16,000 miles out of one filter, woo hoo! My maintenance cost just went down about $30 a year. lol

Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Anybody have any horror stories for how much the A12 service tends to run? I'm due for it.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
Wow, I didn't believe that at first but I just went onto Honda Finacial Services' owner link and you really just need to change the oil at the 'A' service and both the oil and filter at 'B'. That means I can get anywhere between 12,000 to 16,000 miles out of one filter, woo hoo! My maintenance cost just went down about $30 a year. lol
hahah i can't believe honda would acutally put this down.. that doesn't even make sense.. what if i'm using some crap conventional oil vs. synthetic. i have no idea why they would tell us to change the filter every 12-16 honestly makes absoluetely no sense to me. hahah i'd rather pay a couple bucks more every oil change and not take the risk.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:43 PM
most places include the filter with the price and usually don't deviate from it. So, it would just make sense to replace it with the oil anyway. That being said, these vehicles are tested for thousands of hours and lots of data collected to what maintenance will work for the car. But on the other hand, most aftermarket oil filters are really cheaply built and with what can get in the engine....who knows, better safer than sorry. At our family business, we took some of the filters apart to see the difference besides price. Not much difference found at all. all use a simple paper filter creased into wedges to increase surface contact time with the used oil. I'm changing mine every time. Now the cabin filter is a different beast all together. Once a year for that, though it would be better if sooner in my case....(dirt roads and dust)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
It's true, the Maintenance Minder system calls for oil change only on A and oil and filter on B. Every dealership I know, including the one I work at, always replaces the oil filter when changing the oil.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
It's ridiculous.
Yes, my dealer changed the oil and the filter...despite the minders narrow change the oil only recommendation.
Given the relative low cost of filters and the importance of their operation...I'd change the filter every time you change the oil.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool Plus...

If you don't change the filter you leave about a half a quart of old oil to circulate...doubt the techs take the filter off empty it then put it back on. If you are doing that anyways, it makes more sense just to change the filter...

Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Random question...I had A13 come up on my 2008 MT Fit. Do I need to have my transmission fluid changed? I could've sworn that was only for AT vehicles

Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
reviving old thread... but the specific B service inspection items were never listed. I want to know why my dealership thinks its okay to charge nearly 200 for this.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by connor55
reviving old thread... but the specific B service inspection items were never listed. I want to know why my dealership thinks its okay to charge nearly 200 for this.

Yeah... I've had to basically make the guy who "helps" me at the service dept at my dealership feel like an idiot because he treats me like I'm a moron every time I go in there. He tries to sell me on services that my maintenance minder has not told me I need, and even tried to jip me on stuff that I was getting anyway.

The last time he tried to do this, I was coming in for an oil change that was part of my service package that I got at the time that we bought the car. He tried to sell me a $300 service that basically just included topping off some fluids, an oil change and tire rotation, and a few other odds and ends things that should not cost that much. He said they would take off the price of the oil change, since that was in my prepaid package, which would make the rest of it $250. I just looked at him and said, "so, you really expect me to believe that I should be paying you $250 to top off a few fluids and check my belts? My husband can do every bit of that for free." He quickly backpedaled, said he could see my point, and kept things moving.

As soon as my $36,000 miles worth of oil changes were over, I immediately quit going to them for oil changes. I hate dealing with those people!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know how to reset the b12 code? I have completed all the checks myself for the service but can't reset it like the oil change one. Ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty sure the process is the same to reset the thing. Sorry can't help you there.

But for the sake of complete info in this thread, could you please list all the "B" inspection items?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. The normal hold the button down for five seconds then push it again thing isn't working. The B12 code info is listed above.

Any other info on how to reset it? Do I need to take it to a dealership? Or buy a code reader?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe I'm missing it, but what I read was "inspect various systems and components", doesn't really specify what those are though.

The numbered codes are explained in detail, but not the inspection part of the B service. Like you, id like to be able to do this myself rather than get ripped off at every second service.

As for the reset, perhaps you could call a dealership to ask if it's any different to reset for the b12. It's strange to think that they would make a different reset procedure for different items. Maybe review what the "normal" reset procedure is, as there might be a chance you remembered it wrong?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong but I understand the MM does not discriminate what oil you put into the car (unless there’s an expensive sensor in there we don’t know about). Unless you continue to use OE Honda oil or know which oil conglomerate provides Honda oils and use their equivalent, (anyone know who supplies Honda MO?), the MM would technically not be accurate if you use anything non-OEM. If you use generic dino oil, the MM would probably overshoot the calculated lifespan. Adversely, if you use top grade oil (e.g. Amsoil extended life), it would undershoot its life span b/c the car doesn’t know (or care) -only what and how it’s been use/abused until you reset it.

IMO, the MM is the dummy gauge for the new generation of idiot proofing your car. You don’t need to log or track your usage and you get a friendly light on the dash to remind you when you should take it in for service. That’s nice and all but should only apply if you stay within the limits. Otherwise, track your usage, know your driving environment/style, and periodically get the oil tested.