Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Replacing a portion of the dash/instrument panel...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Replacing a portion of the dash/instrument panel...

I posted this in another thread, but found that this is the correct one, so I apologize for the duplicates!

I’ve got aesthetic damage on my 2010 Honda Fit (see image below – red x indicates damage location). Its on the lip of the dash, just under the left portion of the instrument panel. I’m looking to fix it. This is the only thing I could find (figure 1 in the diagram):

My Honda Parts Store - Genuine Honda Parts at Wholesale Prices

Do I really need to get that WHOLE piece? Or is there something else that I’m missing?

Also, depending on the above answer, are there any instructions on how to remove the part in question and replace it? I’m unfamiliar with handling interior mods, and really don’t want to wing it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Name:  damage.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
It is one large piece and has to be replaced in whole

Sorry I can't post the pic of removal but here are instructions.

-1. Pull out the select/reset knob (B).
-2. Insert a flat-tip screwdriver wrapped with protective
tape into the gap (C) between the instrument panel
and the dashboard. Pry up on the panel to release
the clips (D, E) and the hooks (F), then lift the panel
away to remove it.
-3. Disconnect the power mirror switch connector (G).

Wish I knew how to copy a pic from a PDF doc.

4. Install the panel in the reverse order of removal, and
note these items:
● If the clips are damaged or stress-whitened, replace
them with new ones.
● Push the clips and the hooks into place securely.
● Make sure the power mirror switch connector is
plugged in properly.
● Make sure that the select/reset knob snaps into
place securely, and that it operates properly. If the
select/reset knob is loose after installing it, replace it
with a new one.

The gap C is the edge right down where your damage is. Just gently pry all the way around while pulling gently and it will come off.

THere are a lot of clips D and E so if you mess one or two up you chould still be OK.

What did you do to it to damage it?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks! So, there are no screws or anything I need to worry about? Its all just prying along the edges? Any chance you could point me to where that pdf could be found?

Yeah...its a nasty cigarette burn. I was driving home after playing at a bar last friday night and dropped it. Thought it landed on my rubber floor mat, so I did the spastic foot stomp to put it out but didn't fret about it, when if truth, it landed on that lip, and the steering wheel shielded it from view. I intended to double check when I got home (10 minute drive), but I forgot. So stupid. I went out to the car the next morning and saw it. I've had that car for almost a year, and that's the first damage it's gotten. My ass hurts from kicking myself all weekend. Could be worse, but its still a pain.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BluesSlinger
Thanks! So, there are no screws or anything I need to worry about? Its all just prying along the edges? Any chance you could point me to where that pdf could be found?

Yeah...its a nasty cigarette burn. I was driving home after playing at a bar last friday night and dropped it. Thought it landed on my rubber floor mat, so I did the spastic foot stomp to put it out but didn't fret about it, when if truth, it landed on that lip, and the steering wheel shielded it from view. I intended to double check when I got home (10 minute drive), but I forgot. So stupid. I went out to the car the next morning and saw it. I've had that car for almost a year, and that's the first damage it's gotten. My ass hurts from kicking myself all weekend. Could be worse, but its still a pain.
So a case of too many beers during breaks eh? Where do you live. My stepson plays blues. Here is a clip from a couple years ago at Bluesfest.
YouTube - Chris Latta w/ The Douglas Watson R+B Revue

Nope no screws. As you have it messed up go ahead and try it. Just take your time. When prying all of a sudden they let go. I have had many of the other panels off and no problems.

The PDF doc is on my shop manual and I so not know how to copy a pic.

I did the ass kicking thing a few years ago. Flicking ashes out to of window and touched the headliner in my Caravan. I have since quit smoking so the Fit is smoke free. No food either or fat girls.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post796347

Link to 2009 ESM on megaupload.

You should read the rest of the thread, you'll need to be able to open a .rar file and will have to change language to english, I think.