Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

First Ding!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
First Ding!

Hey guys, this is my first post on these forums, but I've been a long-time reader. Anyways, I just got my 2010 Fit just a couple of weeks ago, and I've already gotten my first ding!

I got it from parking near a restaurant (I know, I know, I should've parked further away! I wasn't thinking!) and it's obvious that a door hit it a bit. It's super small, and it isn't noticeable unless you stare right at it, but that's all I can do now.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what to do about this? I just tried the compressed air trick to pull the ding out, but it didn't work (although I did hear an audible *pop*, meaning that the door was bent in a little!). I only used an old hair dryer though, so I don't know if it got hot enough.

Anyways, here are some pics of the ding. These were taken after the compressed air trick.

Given the size of it, it's hard for me to justify paying $50-100 for a PDR guy to work out the ding, and I don't think those ding remove products work on a ding so small. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

EDIT: Since I already have a thread going and I don't want to clog up the forums with other threads, I'll add other imperfections about the car that bug me.

I bought this car used, and it came with a paint chip and a bumper ding as well. I painted in the chip with some touch up from the dealer and sanded it down with polishing paper but I'm not too happy with the results. I haven't waxed or polished it yet, so I'm hoping the color quality improves. I don't think I can do anything for the bumper ding, short of replacing the bumper. I touched it up and sanded it down as well, but unfortunately the plastic itself has been warped. I was thinking of getting the rear applique to cover it up.

I'd really appreciate any help and suggestions. This is my first new (used!) car and I want to take care of it the best I can!

Here are some pictures of the paint chip and bumper ding:

Sorry, the car is really dirty--I'm going to get it detailed soon.

Last edited by dudeitsdon; 02-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I actually just chipped off the touch up on the side of my car, haha. I feel like I'm super obsessing now. But at least I'm back to square one.

The chip was a pretty deep one--all the way down to the metal. Do you think the original paint job was so off because I didn't use a primer? Does a clear coat "lighten" the paint after?

Again, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated...especially before this thing starts to rust!