Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Testing, Removing and Installing the Compressor Clutch Relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
DIY: Testing, Removing and Installing the Compressor Clutch Relay

What's up guys,

First of all- happy Friday to all! Hope you guys are looking forward to the freakend as much as I am

Moving on, I have recently replaced the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay in my Fit so I would like to share a DIY write-up on testing the Relay, removing it and installing a new one. Let's dig in!

--General Q&A about the Compressor Clutch Relay--

Q: What the heck is the Compressor Clutch Relay?

A: When the ECM/PCM receives a demand for cooling from the A/C system, the compressor clutch relay delays the compressor from being energized, and enriches the mixture to assure smooth transition to the A/C mode.

Q: Where can I find the Compressor Clutch Relay in my Fit?

A: First, locate the underhood relay/fuse box that is located on the driver side firewall. Refer to this Fit underhood relay box diagram for further clarification. Here is another useful diagram illustrating the precise location of said clutch relay:

--Now that I have you, let's test your compressor clutch relay to determine whether or not it needs to be replaced!--

Testing Procedure:

1) Check for continuity between the terminals.

2) There should be continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals when battery positive terminal is connected to the No. 4 terminal, and battery negative terminal is connected to the No. 3 terminal.

3) There should be no continuity between the No. 1 and No. 2 terminals when power is disconnected.

--If your Compressor Clutch Relay is kaput, then it's time to change it out!--

Removal and Installation Procedure:

1)Refer to the diagrams posted above and remove the compressor clutch relay.

2) Inspect the pins for any signs of damage or corrosion.

3) Replace the relay with a new one.

4) It's that simple! You're done!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Great post, but how do you check for continuity? Are you using a multimeter and are you keeping the battery connected when you are testing/replacing the relay?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:40 AM
Banned
Continuity is normally cheched with a multimeter on the ohms setting to see if one point is connected to the other.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
2009 relay location?

This is a nice post, but only applies to older fits with underhood relay boxes. I recently had a little off road excursion that left the wires leading to my compressor sheared. After patching them I now find that my compressor clutch is not receiving a signal to engage.

I think perhaps the relay was fried when the wires got mashed together. But I can't for the life of me find the compressor clutch relay. I have tested all the under dash relays and they are all working. So either the clutch relay is working and there is some other issue, or I have not tested the relay because it is hidden somewhere else? Not sure.

Doe anybody know where the compressor clutch relay is for 2009 models?

Old 08-16-2015, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 2007 (215k miles) where it would take anywhere from 10mins to 60mins for the a/c clutch to engage. Honda dealer quoted $650 for a clutch and coil job to fix; turns out I spent $7 on a relay from AdvanceAutoParts that fix it right up. Used the above procedure to verify that it was the relay that was bad.

thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
2011 Fit with AC intermittently blowing hot then cold

I am as mad as a hornet. 2011 honda fit. The dealership said the AC system was low on Freon and full of water so that it was freezing the AC system......blah blah blah. I told them several times it comes on, works fine but randomly stops blowing cold air. Yes.....AC button pushed in, light on, but it would just randomly blow cold then hot and i would be back pushing the switch or turning off the car. I did not believe the low freon and water in system because sometimes the AC would not cool from the moment i turned on the car in the morning (how can a system be frozen when it has not run in 12 hours?) but 2 miles down the road after hitting the switch repeatedly or even turning off the car the AC cooling would work. AND yes I could visually see the AC clutch was not engaging when it should have been .....so I was thinking switch or relay...half the problem was finding it (behind drivers side headlight small 3 by 2 inch black box) I know i am not the first with a bad relay thanks to the forum. THANKS AGAIN TO THE FORUM!!!!!!! The reason I am being very specific about the relay and location is i think it is a known issue....i just went to amazon looking for a relay and after reading the reviews ...this appears to be an issue and the dealership i went to either had a lazy mechanic or disinterested mechanic. I think the service manager said there was no relay!!!! LOL they will be hearing from me!!!
Amazon Amazon

actually Fitcrazy80 it was your post that clued me into an actual compressor clutch relay...all i had to do is find it which is not easy (behind drivers side headlight 2x3 inch black box (relay is the one perpendicular to the other 2) thanks again

Last edited by billtmore; 06-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by billtmore
I am as mad as a hornet. 2011 honda fit. The dealership said the AC system was low on Freon and full of water so that it was freezing the AC system......blah blah blah. I told them several times it comes on, works fine but randomly stops blowing cold air. Yes.....AC button pushed in, light on, but it would just randomly blow cold then hot and i would be back pushing the switch or turning off the car. I did not believe the low freon and water in system because sometimes the AC would not cool from the moment i turned on the car in the morning (how can a system be frozen when it has not run in 12 hours?) but 2 miles down the road after hitting the switch repeatedly or even turning off the car the AC cooling would work. AND yes I could visually see the AC clutch was not engaging when it should have been .....so I was thinking switch or relay...half the problem was finding it (behind drivers side headlight small 3 by 2 inch black box) I know i am not the first with a bad relay thanks to the forum. THANKS AGAIN TO THE FORUM!!!!!!! The reason I am being very specific about the relay and location is i think it is a known issue....i just went to amazon looking for a relay and after reading the reviews ...this appears to be an issue and the dealership i went to either had a lazy mechanic or disinterested mechanic. I think the service manager said there was no relay!!!! LOL they will be hearing from me!!!
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda.../dp/B00BFDH05Y

actually Fitcrazy80 it was your post that clued me into an actual compressor clutch relay...all i had to do is find it which is not easy (behind drivers side headlight 2x3 inch black box (relay is the one perpendicular to the other 2) thanks again
My 2011 Fit aircon is not blowing cold air when car is stuck in traffic or not moving. But when its moving it blows cold air again. Is this normal?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
mine was very intermittent those 3 relays are in a small box behind drivers side headlight. swap a fan one for the AC clutch one and see if the AC compressor clutch works
go to amazon look at what the folks say...by swapping you can see if it works before you buy...all 3 relays in the box are identical. 2 work fans one works the AC clutch
Amazon Amazon

the 2 next to each other are for fans the one single running in the opposite direction runs the AC clutch
ezone posted a diagram. look on this thread
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...lay-panel.html

Last edited by billtmore; 06-20-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by murenrb
This is a nice post, but only applies to older fits with underhood relay boxes. I recently had a little off road excursion that left the wires leading to my compressor sheared. After patching them I now find that my compressor clutch is not receiving a signal to engage.

I think perhaps the relay was fried when the wires got mashed together. But I can't for the life of me find the compressor clutch relay. I have tested all the under dash relays and they are all working. So either the clutch relay is working and there is some other issue, or I have not tested the relay because it is hidden somewhere else? Not sure.

Doe anybody know where the compressor clutch relay is for 2009 models?
It is under the driver's side headlight.