Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

question on rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
question on rotors

Thumbnail to a bigger version, which can then be clicked on to get an even larger version.

What do some of you guys think I should do? Get it resurfaced or replaced? Or suck it up and hope it wears away?

I'm a bit uneasy with the way my rotor looks. I'm not certain what it's from. Could be from my harder than normal and downhill braking (and stopping) on my road trip. Could be excess rusting from sitting for 2 days in NY while it rained (though I was pretty sure it never did this before).

My pads also seem kinda strange to me... I know I'm a spirited driver, and while I do try to brake lightly at times, I have a tendency to brake harder too. I thought it would be more worn down by now, nearly 33k miles. Could they be glazed over? Which would be strange too, since it seems to brake just as quickly as it always has.

On a side note, I think I need to add a rubber washer or something to the "center cap" I'm using to keep it dry, that's too much rust for my liking.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Check/measure to make sure that the rotors are within the operating specs and if so have them resurfaced. If anything it's good piece of mind.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rust.

Edit: You have a lot of pad left but i'm not suprised. The Fit's a light car and you have an MT, if you drive anything like I do I barely use my brakes lol. I've got 16k and a ton of pad left, pretty sure i'll upgrade out of boredom before I have to replace pads.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 08-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Goobs, rust happens... normally from sitting a while like you said, few days. What did you mean by your pads looking strange? The pix (enlarged) looks like normal wear - no obvious signs of deep grooves/pits... fluid good, no squealing, pedal vibration, brakes just as quickly like you said, etc. then you're good to go... I mean stop. :-) Have them inspected for free if you'd like.

Last edited by Subie; 08-31-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't know how to check the specs.

The rust I'm annoyed about is the part on the hub face. Rust around the nut and the screw holes. Now, when I pull the tires off, the centering rings for my Enkei wheels stick to the hub. Of course, I wonder what the rust "growing" into the screw holes is doing to the rotor and the rest of the parts.

The biggest thing that bothers me, is the coloration on the rotor and the fact you can clearly see where the pads had been sitting on the rotor.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Ah, that's where your center cap comes into the picture. Need to get a set. As for measuring, just take it to a tire shop and have a brake inspection done. They've got the tools. The rotor's thickness is measured with a calipher. Need the min. specs so you know where you are also.

Unless your rotors are warped or have deep pits, they're usually good for a few turns (surface shave). But at 30k+ mi. I wouldn't think you're due yet.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
The biggest thing that bothers me, is the coloration on the rotor and the fact you can clearly see where the pads had been sitting on the rotor.
Goodz - This might help explain things: StopTech : Myths of the Braking System It's a good read and covers just about all your concerns.

It's from a good site with a lot of info on performance brakes. Lessons can be applied for all of us street guys.

Here's a good index: StopTech : White Paper Index

Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Good reference links KC...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I haven't felt any vibrations during heavy/light braking. So I think I'll just suck it up for a while.

Maybe when my pads get close to needing replacement, I'll revisit replacing the rotors. Rotors, pads and fluid all in one go. Maybe even changing rubber brake lines to the braided stainless steel or something.