Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Check engine light turns on mid driving and engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Check engine light turns on mid driving and engine stalls

Hey everybody, I've been surfing this forum and reading DIYs ever since I got my fit almost 3 years ago but havent had a reason to join up till now. I got an 09 manual Fit and it has begun acting up recently and I'm not sure what the problem is.

The first time the problem occurred was about two months ago. I was speeding up on an on-ramp to get onto the highway. I had the car in 3rd gear with the engine revving at 4k when the engine started to hiccuping. A few seconds later the engine light came on and I lost power even though the car was still in gear and the tach stayed at 4k. Not sure what to do I pressed in the clutch and turned off the engine. I then immediately turn it back on and the problem went away, or so I thought.

The problem happened again a few days ago. This time I was driving up a hill in second gear with the engine revving b/w 2-3k. The engine hiccuped for a good minute before I lost power and had to turn it off.

Both these incidents happened after driving the car for over an hour. At first I thought it might be something with my transmission, such as a slipping clutch. The car however has barely 40k miles on it and I am not an aggressive driver. Additionally, although this is my first manual car I had learned how to drive prior to purchasing on a friends car. I dont know if this is related but ever since I had my vtec springs replaced because of the recall the car has felt different.

I take good care of my car and always make sure to change the oil and air filters. I have not changed the transmission fluid however and am unsure if that could contribute to the problem.

I greatly appreciate and insight or suggestions. If anything requires further elaboration please just ask.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Any time you get a Check Engine Light you need to post the problem code.

Even though the CEL is now off, the engine computer might have stored the code event.

An AutoZone will read the code for free.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Like Carbuff said, it's best to get the trouble code read and post it on here, it will help us diagnose the problem.

I am 90% sure it's not transmission related though if it won't rev past 4k and the problem goes away if you turn the car off. Probably ECU related/bad ground somewhere/bad sensor, etc.

Need the trouble code though.