Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Oil change?

when should i do my oil change? when the sticker from the oil change place says so or when my maintenance light thing tells me? im about 600mi over the 3k oil life but the screen says its at 50% oil life... which do i go by?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
This is your fourth Honda... according to your signature, how have you not come to your own decision already by what kind of schedule to follow?

There are plenty of topics debating this, some folks believe in 3k oil changes (or even less). Some believe in simply following whats mentioned in the owner's manual. We don't need another "debate" clogging the forums.

I am following the maintenance minder. I figure, what's the manufacture got to gain by telling me to take longer intervals between changes? Faster oil changes could mean more money for their dealerships. And if the car breaks down due to NOT taking 3k oil changes, then they'd potentially lose a customer.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM
flipper - when that 50% gets to 15% schedule your Fit for an oil change. On my FIT it's around 9Kmiles.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Maintenance minder.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
This is your fourth Honda... according to your signature, how have you not come to your own decision already by what kind of schedule to follow?

We don't need another "debate" clogging the forums.
Life is good... as KC puts it!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Goobers: hey i just wasnt sure which to follow as to why i asked the question. i didint know if newer cars can keep oil longer(which apparently it does.) my other hondas have been pre '00.(except the '07 fit that was stolen 23 days after purchase) It just struck me as odd that the typical "3000mile between oil changes" and the maintenance minder was so far apart.
Krimson: ya i was thinking on doing it at 15% cause thats when the light went on the first time i needed an oil change. this would only be my 2nd oil change on the fit.

i just wasnt sure if newer cars had a different oil life. plus, i dont drive the car very harsh. my average weekly miles is 42miles. sometimes more sometimes less. then the occasional long drives to Orange Co, CA. wasnt sure if driving habits would affect it as well.

but now i know. i'll follow the maintenance minder. thanks for the info

Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flipperlazo
wasnt sure if driving habits would affect it as well.

but now i know. i'll follow the maintenance minder. thanks for the info
Apparently they do. The MM doesn't go by mileage but engine load seems like. Have to check the manual again. My 15% mark is around 6k +/-. Mostly city driving.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
The MM system uses a variety of data input to calculate oil life based on engine and transmission operating conditions. For example, urban drivers will most likely see a more frequent change cycle than rural drivers due to more start/stop short trip driving conditions. It is not a straight mileage calculation.

Other maintenance items do appear to be based on mileage, however. I've been trying to track this down and am finding it a rather elusive target, so I put trust in the MM system and forgo the need to see it in writing.

I have come to understand that the MM system will try to group service items to correspond to the oil change cycle. Sort of makes sense seeing that the 'wrench' light only comes on when the oil life reaches 15%.

It is important to reset the MM at the required time i.e. 15% or less oil life. This will assure the maintenance code will appear correctly indicating required service.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
thats what i was thinking too... cars are being more and more computerized and we should be able to trust it. cause if not then the company(HONDA) will/should be held reliable for it.... which im sure they have considered and im sure its very trust worthy. MM it is for me then