Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Oh, the things I've learned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, the things I've learned!

Greetings again, fellow Fit freaks! It's been quite a while since I've last visited these forums. Just wanted to share that I've learned a great many things about DIY car detailing and am eager to learn more.

I'm about to start my first 'serious' detailing session and wanted anyone's opinion. If you feel that I've left out a step or are in the wrong order, please feel free to chime in. I won't be offended. Well, not much, anyways. LOL

1. Wash using Optimum ONR for light cleaning; Duragloss #901 Car wash
concentrate for heavier cleaning.

2. Claybar. Preferably a kit. I've heard that Mothers is very good.

3. Polish using P21S Gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser to deep clean the finish with the added benefit of removing/reducing/hiding very minor swirls and scratches.

4. Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant.

5. 'Topper' of Pinnacle XMT 360 Spray Wax.

Pinnacle XMT 360 Spray Wax, Carnauba spray wax, spray car wax, detailing wax
New Formula Pinnacle XMT Spray Wax Impresses - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

BTW, My Fit is Taffeta White and I'll be washing using Lake Country 'Big Blue' wash sponge; polish (by hand) using the Pinnacle Polishin' Pal with white 3.5" pads; sealant application using 3.5" red pads; application and buffing of XMT Spray wax using Micropak Ultra MF towels. Here's the link for the MF towels:
MICROPAK 16" x 16" Ultra Micro Fiber Towel

So, what do you guys think?

p.s. I live in a condo and have no access to a water hose. Is the Duragloss car wash hard to rinse off? Out of necessity I'll have to rinse using several buckets of clean water.

Last edited by rossmeister; 05-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
how's the result?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thunderwoof
how's the result?
Haven't quite gotten there yet. Still saving for my huge order from Autogeek.net. But I'll be sure to let you know when I do get things done.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'll tell ya what I've learned....

When it comes to auto exterior maintenance and care?

Everyone has an individual and separate level of care and standards.

And everyone develops a ritual of actions and product they almost religiously stand by.

I say whatever you want....whatever works for you.

My ONLY advice, to a newbie, is at least use proper tools. Whatever they may be.

The only time you hear horror stories, is when somebody grabs a scotch brite dishwashing scrubber, and/or uses Dawn dishwashing soap.

I would recommend staying within the confines of established and well known automotive care products...but then I say, find your own ritual.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Since I'll be polishing, is claying really necessary?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by rossmeister
Since I'll be polishing, is claying really necessary?
Both do a different job.

The order should be:

Wash

Clay bar (removes embedded debris in the top coat)

Paint Cleaner (removes top coat contaminants)

Scratch remover (small scratches as required)

Polish (light grit added to polish to smooth out fine swirl marks over a large area)

liquid wax ( NXT 2.0)

Carnuba Wax to finish off.

Tip: you can use a clay bar on your windshield. ( but you must use a new bar and de-mineralized water)

don't forget to polish your plastic head and tail lights with something like Megs Plastic X.

Like Fitchet said: It really is a ritual.

I do the whole ritual twice a year. Every week I wash and every other week I wax.

I think people should pay more attention to cleaning other often neglected areas. Like inside the engine bay, The inside of the wheels. The whole wheel well area including the exposed boots and links. The tail pipe and gas tank get a good scrubbing as well. All the door hinge areas.

As well lots of bugs in the AC condenser.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, I always used to use dish soap, what's wrong with that??? :P

But I better stop, now that I have a new car for once.

Keep your sponge clean. Don't drop on ground in between doing things with the bucket. Seriously, I have to work to remember this .. but it's important.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Hey, I always used to use dish soap, what's wrong with that??? :P
Because it washes the wax off. Not sure if serious. Anyways...

Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Keep your sponge clean. Don't drop on ground in between doing things with the bucket. Seriously, I have to work to remember this .. but it's important.
Made me laugh because if I drop anything on the ground it's done and must be washed in the washer for the next use. Lots of spares to avoid the temptation to re-use right away.

Also I have two buckets of water. To prevent new towels to get into old water...Maybe I have a problem

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-24-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Oh and....I saw a feller bring is own wash mitts for use by the guys at the corner hand car wash place... Made lots of sense. Am doing that now as well.

I find that having the car washed at the corner place saves me a heck of a lot of time and then I have more energy to concentrate on the details at home.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Oh and....I saw a feller bring is own wash mitts for use by the guys at the corner hand car wash place... Made lots of sense. Am doing that now as well.

I find that having the car washed at the corner place saves me a heck of a lot of time and then I have more energy to concentrate on the details at home.
I go to the self serve car wash bay and bring my own sponge/mitt. I use their high powered pressure washer for soaping/rinsing, but I use my own sponge for the actual scrubbing rather than their dirt filled brush.

Love reading these threads for better ideas though!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Also, make sure to perform your phases on a test spot to make sure that it provides you with the outcome that you're after. Nothing is worse than finishing the entire car only to find out that you have to redo the entire car due to the outcome.