Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My 12volt accessory outlet doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM
My 12volt accessory outlet doesn't work.

I went to try my phone charger today for the first time and couldn't get it to work. Its a brand new charger so I know its the outlet.

Is there a fuse associated with the outlet? If so, where? I looked under the fuse box lid and didn't see one for accessory outlet.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Do you have another car to try the charger on, just in case it was DOA? Also, with my car charger I had to wiggle it around before it found a happy place (it was only a buck or two from eBay, so I don't mind!).

Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Nope, the charger is brand new and works in my girl's car. I wiggled it, jammed it, pulled it slightly out. Nada.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
I have a similar problem. But mine worked for a day or two, then stopped working. I checked the fuse but now I dont know what to do...

maybe next stop the dealer?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Did you replace the fuse? If so, which fuse did you replace? I have to go back and exchange the fuse kit I got. Mine were the ATC type and they were too large. I'm guessing its the 30A option fuse, right?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Mine works just fine, except when Iam driving at random times my radar likes to restart..

Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
I really have to work at it to get the g-tech to work. Had to fiddle with the little 'nipple' on the end of the plug and unscrew it a little (to make it stick out more). It really takes some effort to remove it also...

Old 07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
The 2006 Honda Civic has a TSB out for its power outlet (TSB #1105, NHTSA #10018257) for "power outlet inoperative." Maybe the Fit uses the same part?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
The 2006 Honda Civic has a TSB out for its power outlet (TSB #1105, NHTSA #10018257) for "power outlet inoperative." Maybe the Fit uses the same part?
Where do you get these service bulletins from? I doubt it since Fits are made in Japan and Civic are made in Ohio. I don't think they share anything similar. Thanks for the suggestion, thou. I will double check with the dealer and make sure.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fad3r
Where do you get these service bulletins from? I doubt it since Fits are made in Japan and Civic are made in Ohio. I don't think they share anything similar. Thanks for the suggestion, thou. I will double check with the dealer and make sure.
The fact that Civics are made in Ohio doesn't mean it doesn't share any parts with other Hondas, made elsewhere.

You can search the National Highway Traffic Administration's Office of Defects Investigation website for recalls, TSB, and complaints that have been registered.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Called the dealer about this problem and was told it was a known warranty issue: folks with Verizon cell phone chargers will blow out the fuse behind the outlet.

So, if you have a Verizon phone charger for your car, watch out!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
I too have a bad ACC plug

I checked the fuse - looks good. I pulled the accessory plug socket and tested for voltage and nothing at the plug. I will replace the fuse anyway to see if that works. Other than the fuse, what else could it be?? I can't image taking it to the dealer for this

Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Cigarette Lighter Circuit Diagram

That might help with the fuse situation.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
The civic fuse problem is because people jam a 12v accessory in the plug and sometimes the power side (on the tip) will slip and touch a ground, and pop the fuse. Ive done it once with the fit. Just replace the fuse and make sure to nicely plug in accessories in the future

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM
please check your fuse, the one connected for the outlet is most;y burnt off, needs to be replaced.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Problem fixed !!

I thought I posted a reply when I fixed this. Anyhow, I finally decided to replace the socket before taking it in for service at the dealer. Turned out to work after replacing the socket. The part was about $20. That was for only the socket. If you get the entire assembly which includes the cap (cover) the price is $45. Now I do not plug and unplug my phone charger, I just leave it plugged in all the time. I rarely need the socket for anything else.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Acc

Is the problem at the perifery or in the central fuse box ? I have tried to ficx this a number of times is there a way to reconnect the lighter . The former owner seems to have used this for a thermometer . Whe is th ebest place to reconnect it I gather there are two places to reconnect in the diagram but I want to be sure it is not tapping the battery. That is only working when engine is running . How dio I ensure that ? Cigarette Lighter Circuit Diagram vs Wiring Diagram

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ALLJAZZ
Is the problem at the perifery or in the central fuse box ? I have tried to ficx this a number of times is there a way to reconnect the lighter . The former owner seems to have used this for a thermometer . Whe is th ebest place to reconnect it I gather there are two places to reconnect in the diagram but I want to be sure it is not tapping the battery. That is only working when engine is running . How dio I ensure that ? Cigarette Lighter Circuit Diagram vs Wiring Diagram
First assure the item (accessory such as cell phone charger in my case) works in another vehicle. Here is the order I would check:
1. the fuse
2. the wire connections at both the accessory plug and the fuse box
If all is good (which in my case yes) then I replaced the socket only with the Honda factory part. ($20). You may be able to buy a cheaper one at the auto parts store but you will probably have to splice the wires. The Honda socket is "plug and play". The most difficult part was removing the socket to replace it. I tried to get it out carefully and failed so I just yanked it out and got lucky and did not break anything. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 AM
the wire connections at both the accessory plug and the fuse box

Thanks It is a small fan and a brand new and worked fine in my other car Checked the fuse. it is ok Must be the wire connections: "both the accessory plug " (do you mean the one under the hood ? ACC fuses or just at the one at the lighter or the perifery one ? Any Idea of how to check these with a voltmeter ? Do I open the lighter socket holder? Yank it out Does this draw current from the battery ? I only want the fan to work when engine is on ( bypass curcuit)

Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
The metal socket (the metal cup that for me, I push the phone charger into) has a white electrical component that goes bad. It is not made to pull out from the top of the center console but I just pulled it hard (yanked) and it came out. When and if it you can get it out, it will be connected with a wire and wire connector. The metal socket will just pull off at the wire connector and all you have to do is push on the new metal socket. I looked up the part you should replace -
SOCKET ASSY Honda Part NO.39624-SZ3-L01
It is item number 3 on the following diagram (weblink):

2008 Honda Fit Console, 5DR BASE KA 5MT B__3740

I hope that helps.