Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Won't shift into park sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Won't shift into park sometimes

Anyone know why a 2007 Fit (with about 126,000 miles on it) will decide not to shift into park sometimes? I keep reading about how it might be a shift lock problem, or an issue with the button in the shifter, or even the shift lock solenoid. It only happens sometimes, mostly when I'm pulling into the parking lot at work and trying to reverse into my parking space. Then I can't shift into reverse or park. After wiggling the steering wheel back and forth a bit, I can eventually get into R or P. I don't think it's a transmission issue since it will resolve with the steering wheel movements. Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this before?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by TinyCarEnthusiast
Anyone know why a 2007 Fit (with about 126,000 miles on it) will decide not to shift into park sometimes? I keep reading about how it might be a shift lock problem, or an issue with the button in the shifter, or even the shift lock solenoid. It only happens sometimes, mostly when I'm pulling into the parking lot at work and trying to reverse into my parking space. Then I can't shift into reverse or park. After wiggling the steering wheel back and forth a bit, I can eventually get into R or P. I don't think it's a transmission issue since it will resolve with the steering wheel movements. Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this before?
There is a spring in the shifter that may have become worn out. A new shifter is a low cost fix. Happened to me in a car years ago.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Wow, thanks. Does the spring have a name so I can ask the auto parts store if they have one, or would I need to get a whole new shifter assembly?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Wow, thanks. Does the spring have a name so I can ask the auto parts store if they have one, or would I need to get a whole new shifter assembly?
Never tried to take one apart myself. But I've read it's quite easy. I just don't think it's an option to remove replace the spring unless you get really lucky at the hardware store.

Or maybe a salvage yard? check ebay for used parts...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I found instructions on replacing the Select knob, which looks fairly straightforward (here's hoping) - however, it occurs to me to ask, is the spring you're talking about in the select knob, or in the center console?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I found instructions on replacing the Select knob, which looks fairly straightforward (here's hoping) - however, it occurs to me to ask, is the spring you're talking about in the select knob, or in the center console?
If the problem is going into park then the warned out spring is in the shifter knob.

As well there could be a problem with the shift cable adjustment. After so many miles it can stretch...

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A...281MBAT00.HTML

So I would look into these two areas. The shifter and the linkage. Does the shifter knob stick or does it make a difference if you press harder or jiggle it?

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-23-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: After some more thought revised answer
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM
The shifter knob doesn't stick - most of the time when this happens, it just won't shift past neutral, and resists shifting into R or P. The select button doesn't feel like it's "pushing out" as much as it should when it happens as well. Pushing in harder doesn't help. I haven't tried jiggling the knob. For whatever reason, moving the steering wheel from left to right and right to left seems to help unstick things, or maybe it just resolves itself while I'm wiggling the steering wheel like a nut.

I think I'll try picking up a new select knob and see what happens from there. If it happens again with the new select knob, I'll try the shift cable.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
it just resolves itself while I'm wiggling the steering wheel like a nut.
I'm so sorry... hahahahahahhahahaa. FML that's some funny shit. Let me know what happens!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:16 PM
same problem

i have chevy uplander 2006 got it 3 month ago i started to have a problem shifting from drive to park sometime i have to let go of the brake in order to put in park. i already change the transmission 1 week ago still having the problem. please help.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Fernandez
i have chevy uplander 2006 got it 3 month ago i started to have a problem shifting from drive to park sometime i have to let go of the brake in order to put in park. i already change the transmission 1 week ago still having the problem. please help.
this is a Honda Fit Forum, i'm afraid most of us would not be familiar with your car.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Angry 07 honda fit auto trnas not going into park.

Hello I am glad I found some one has the same symptom as I have.
I have 2007 only 27,000km and 08 140,000km and they both have the same symptom and I tried to call dealer to see if they have recall for this matter but they closed today for holidays.
I had the 07 running and I shifted into drive and back park most of the time it will not go into park. I shifted back and forth eventually it went in park. when that happen I disconnect the shift cable out of shift lever and I shift the lever from park to all drives and it seems to have no problem at all, but the shift cable I could not push it back into park. I would think if the interlock shift solenoid or brake switch problem the shift lever shouldn't able to shift into park or as the result I got when I had the cable disconnect out of it.
may you and I will have to study about ignition or maybe there is shift solenoid in the trans ?? please let me know if any body give you the fixed.
I will continue to find out if there is a recall for this matter I think they should because it seems to be quite problem in this area.
I HAD ASKED THE SERVICE WRITER HE SAID THERE IS NO RECALL THAT KNOWS OF. call Honda of Canada and see.

Last edited by saykham; 12-27-2016 at 10:53 AM.